[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

This sounds similar to a problem with models for the Poser program. Sharp edges are softened in rendering, and the answer is not two distinct parts but an extra narrow row of polygons. The downside is more polygons, which slows rendering (a general rule of CGI). But I wonder if we're both a little misled through use of the standard jargon. My experience is that UV maps are defined by the vertices and the connections between them (lines) which define the polygons. The X,Y,Z triplets of the model are mapped onto the U,V coordinates used by a texture. Since the lines in 3-space and 2-space are obviously different, likewise the polygons (usually triangles) they're stored as the vertices.

Since real-life objects are not defined by flat polygons, various interpolation methods are used. An example of this is Phong Shading and it's worth noting that some of these shaders depend on vertices, not lines. They've been used for animated chrome spheres since the earliest days of computer graphics.

The vertex normals are derived from the average of the normals of the polygons including the vertex, and that's what messes up sharp edges. A boundary edge, such as you describe, should give a sharp edge. If Unity uses a weighted averageâ€â€such as bigger polygons having more influenceâ€â€the method I'm used to should work.

Wuwuk; when you export your model, make sure you have the root object selected (always an empty, often called GameObject in stock models). ie, when you grab the one object, all other objects of the model move with it.

When adding meshes, ensure they are parented to the root object, or some other object already in the hierarchy. For best results, clear the parent inverse transform (alt-p, clear parent inverse transform). You may need to reposition and reorient your new mesh.

Also, what part is giving you problems? Not all animations are supported yet, only location, rotation and scaling right now.

Thanks, now I understood the first question.

Now I will deal with the second :) .

Why texture imported into the blender

rotated 180 degrees, and mirrored horizontally (relative to the UV MAP)?

How make based on their the UV MAP for the new mesh?

Rotate the UV MAP on 180 degrees, reflect and move?

Edited by Wuwuk

• 1 month later...

Im not sure if this has been posted before, and so I apologize if it has. But, when I import a model into Blender, everything seems fine, but when I export as an FBX and then import it into C4D there is only one material and so any object that uses another material has it's texture all messed up. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
I folks, I'm highly computer-literate but a total noob to Blender. I managed to install the addon and import a stock mu file (Size2LFB.mu). I can see the mesh (outline). Any tips on getting the textures to show up?

[s]Also any idea what the extra node_attach in this part's cfg is for (at x=1.304782, y=0, z=0)?[/s] Edited by Fwiffo

[B]Fwiffo[/B]: for Blender specific help, your best bet is via IRC in #blender on irc.freenode.net. As for getting the textures to show: you need the display mode set to GLSL and to be in texture mode.

And thanks for reminding me: I have some pending changes to support .mu version 4, but they are still in development.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2015 9:59:42, Stone Blue said:

since its still listed under future plans in the OP, I take it this tool still does not do animations

It deals with simple animations (location, rotation, scale) quite well, even for export (so long as you clear the parent inverse, but this is needed for all complicated models, even static ones).

Anyway....

I've pushed changes to get the addon mostly working with version 4 .mu files. Unfortunately, material setup is even more difficult than before, but it's much more flexible and supports custom shaders (though not for setting up material nodes in blender). Also, there will be many incorrect field references when trying to create the shaders, but that's still just for viewing in blender. Importing an old .mu and exporting will convert it to version 4.

I plan on adding a material setup helper.

• 5 weeks later...

I am going to try importing an internal prop's .mu file and then exporting it for use as a part's .mu. When I used the prop's original .mu, it worked for the most part, but once grabbed from the menu and placed (Left-Clicked) inside the VAB, I can no longer select it and move it around (when my mouse is hovering over it, it doesn't highlight). I was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to do this. (I am making a mod that adds a part using the plushKraken.mu from nohark's Panopticon Pod mod.)

Edited by HorkyBlah88

It sounds like you lost the colliders. I suggest importing several different known working models and examining their hierarchies, taking note of all the parent-child relationships, and how they all have a root object that is an empty. When exporting, the root object must be selected, otherwise only a portion of the model's object tree will be exported.

1 minute ago, HorkyBlah88 said:

So I should make a new save with an empty as the parent object, add the .mu mesh as a child, and then add a collision mesh as another child?

Is the part terribly complex in terms of polygons? If no, do precisely what you did the first time, except before you export it from unity, select the object, click "Add Component", navigate to physics, select "Mesh Collider". Once it's added, check the box next to "Convex".

If it is ridiculously complex, you have two options:

1. Use one of the simple Colliders in Unity itself (this is the 'best' option, in terms of performance)
  2. Create an approximately shaped convex object in Blender

If you create one in blender, follow all the steps above to add a mesh collider to the new object, then right click on it's Mesh Renderer component in the explorer and remove it.

I am having trouble with exporting to an .mu file. Here's a link to the .blend file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8utg8iq8xiflwmf/KSP_Part_Modelling_plushKrakennearlycomplete.blend?dl=0 I made it as close to stock as I could. Could someone please export it to a .mu file, and then email it to me at [email protected]?

Edited by HorkyBlah88
I uploaded it to dropbox, so you don't have to sign in to google