[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

@taniwha, I've been playing with this for a little bit, and I can't for the life of me understand why the lights I'm attaching to an IVA are not exporting to the mu!

The lights are children to the main object, so they should be exporting along with everything else. Am I forgetting to do something special for lights?

Hey guys,

I've been using blender for a while now, and this tool is great!!

Anyways, does anyone know how where in the _KSP directory the kerbal mesh is hidden? I've made my own, but I'm not too great at texturing; it would be nice if I could rip a pretextured model from the game.

Thanks,

Universe

It's stored away in one of the assets files in KSP_Data. Try using this tool to find and extract the sharedassets files. Or you could Ninja Ripper or DXRipper like Rareden did.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I need help with the colliders using this plugin. I figured out that to get working colliders, I've got to add them using the Mu Collider, but a couple of problems. For the box colliders, I can basically get them working, but I can't reshape them. or rotate them, or translate them. Is this intended behavior or am I missing something somewhere.

I then tried the mesh mu colliders, and all seem well at first, but when I export and reimport back to check, the mu collider mesh has basically collapsed into a single dot. Did I do something wrong?(Should I not have applied the translation, rotation and scale using ctrl-A?)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Please halp!

Regards,

DKnight54

• 2 weeks later...

I've suddenly started getting this strange bug where whenever I enable the .mu import/export addon it sometimes greys out contents of the operator window in blenders object mode making it unusable until I restore blender to factory defaults. As for the few times it doesn't do this right away it definitely winds up doing it anyway when I go to import something.

Cryocore: sorry, it seems I missed your post before.

larkvi: This is for you, too.

It looks like the models you are using are doing something rather unexpected and my shader code is breaking. For some reason, it can't find the material node that it created. My guess is there's a duplicate node.

No, I'll have to grab a model and debug the code. You could, however, tell me just where to get ModuleBase.mu :) (I looked in MKS and didn't find it).

Never mind, I found it (couldn't see it in the noise of files). However, I could not reproduce the problem.

Edited by taniwha

I think I understand now--I was trying to import the model as an individual file. When I imported it in-place in its folder, it seems to have produced something (it is my first time using Blender, so I cannot tell if it produced the right thing--I expected it to show up textured).

larkvi: things are working. For it to show up textured, you have to switch the shading mode to GLSL (N panel) and then switch to textured mode (single white ball beside Object Mode in the 3d view status bar). Some other modes work too. Note that you need to have lights in the scene.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I can't reproduce the problem for fustek parts either. I need more details on reproduction steps.

For me, it seems to be the problem exporting a fustek-part to mu, and then re-importing it (the exported mu doesnt work in ksp either, but very strange things occur, like all parts are missing)

Reproducing steps:

- import a fustek part, for example "modelFusTekResupplyModule.mu" -> part shows up nicely in blender

- export it as a mu file -> if paced inside ksp, all parts disappear and "ship could not load" errors appear during save-loading, even if the save has no ships.

- try re-importing the exported mu file from the previous step. It gives the error messages as shown here http://i.imgur.com/PQrRPKb.png (from post #161)

Hey taniwha, I'm afraid I'm a brand-noob to KSP Modding... But I'm not unfamiliar with blender. I've been attempting to use your mod as I won't install Unity on principle. Great work btw. However, I think I've found a bug, If you're inclined, I'd like to run it past you. My problem is with the node_collider meshes. If I create a cube in blender, 2m x 2m x 2m, then Texture & UV it and export it alone, KSP will load and render it (even without the node_collider). However, when I then wrap this cube in another, 3m x 3m x 3m, Texture and UV appropriately and name "node_collider" and export, KSP will render the larger, outer cube. I also cannot "pickup" the cube in KSP, it's like KSP isn't recognising the node_collider...

I'm on blender 2.73 and your latest commit from github and KSP 0.90 on WinDowZ. Really appreciate the work and the plugins. Many thanks.

I've also noticed that, with the exported "node_collider", even with the .cfg setting "attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1", I don't seem to be able to attach anything to the surface of the mesh. The cube, when put on the runway, "falls-through" the landing pad. Further reinforcing my suspicions. Is it something I'l configuring / rendering wrong? I've tried both exporting into ".mu" and a plain ".dae" collada export. Both seem to fail-cleanly as it were, nothing in the debug logs... Appreciate any help

Edited by Loopback7084
Noticed Radial / Surface attachment issue.

y0, this is my first attempt to use blender for anything, but I've kinda semi-successful, in blender at least. I'm working on the Bargain Rocketts "space box" part. I want to make the window transparent. (if I'm successful I'll explain how I fixed the IVA mesh...)... Okay, it looks like everything is done with materials instead of the more intuitive textures... So creating a material for the window is out, if I delete the vertex defining the window polygons, the thing simply re-introduces it, must be a design rule or something... I did manage to get blender to honor the alpha channel and display it exactly right... Okay, I then tried to set the mu-shader to "KSP/Alpha/cutoff" and it's not working, the window refuses to become transparent. =( Any suggestions?

It's kinda tricky, when exporting from blender make sure you select the ROOT of the part, otherwise it will not save the colliders, which sounds like your issue... Then again I've only used it for a coupler hours so I'm probably wrong. It is very easy to save the mesh alone and lose all ladders/hatches/colliders...

I started working on a different part, "Station Habitat" from stanford Toruses, The model has some -- problems --, I cleaned up a lot of stuff, re-exported, put it in the game, looked better, wanted to come back today to continue the job but it was metza-foobar, I'm getting a bunch of index out of range errors on the importer and there does not appear to be a way to cut and paste the stupid blender pop-up, or even keep it visible for a non-miniscule amount of time. =\ goal of project was to remove all interior components from the exterior, clean up all sloppyness. then remove all exterior portions from the interior view and make sure all the objects are properly nested (the interior view loaded as rotated 90 degrees) then go back and polish everything.

AlonzoTG: While those errors do indicate a problem, all that importing and exporting is not the best way to use the tool. Rather, import just the once, save the blend file, and export many times (whenever you have a new version to test).

As for the popup: there's a way to see the stacktrace cleanly in Windows, but I don't know it (I use Linux, and then I just start blender in an xterm and look at the trace there). Your best bet (for general Blender questions, too) is to ask in #blender on irc.freenode.net.

I think I have an "And" problem...

I'm trying to make the IVA AND EVA models fit together in blender AND the game so that both models work in flight AND IVA mode...

Obviously, I have too many ANDs... Is there a guide for setting up transforms and dealing with coordinant system issues?

• 1 month later...