[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

Shaders can be done with my script, though I admit they're a RPITA.

Engine/RCS transforms: no problem. Just use an empty with the appropriate name.

Animations: planned, but I have several yaks to shave. Patches/pull requests welcome :)

Shaders can be done with my script, though I admit they're a RPITA.

Engine/RCS transforms: no problem. Just use an empty with the appropriate name.

Animations: planned, but I have several yaks to shave. Patches/pull requests welcome :)

Thank you x100 (Tempted to write it all out, but I'll spare everyone a wall of text of thank yous)

I see that they can import animations well, I was about to assume they can export them, but since you mentioned they're not supported, okay! At least I can work on half of the stuff I have planned :D

You are so awesome!! I don't care if this is a PITA to set up correctly and understand, it saves me 3 hours of downloading Unity due to sucky internet! I can wait for animations! xD

EDIT:

I am curious, when I load up something, like the small landing gear, it has an animation I can play... I didn't read that it can load animations... So does that mean Animations are very Soonâ„¢?

Edited by Night Lone
Question

Hey guys, I'd like to double-check if the Taniwha's .MU exporter is still working correctly in Blender 2.72? We're not seeing many new *.MU file uploads at Sketchfab since Blender was updated, so I'm a little worried.

Okay, just confirming that this does export wheels (perfectly I might add). I may decide to do a tutorial later (step by step, with pics) as soon as I have made some more wheels without any problems. I think it's a lot better to be able to do this without unity :) Unity is for programmers, if you're an artist, you shouldn't need unity!! (my opinion of course).

Taniwa, once you get the animations done, this will be the best thing that ever happened since KSP :P

bartv: it does here (blender git build), but there were reports of people having trouble with it, so I don't really know what's going on either.

Ok, thanks! I guess we may have to wait and see for a bit then. I'll keep an eye on our uploads.

@taniwha

I got the Plugin to work with 2.72. Usually when i update Blender my addon scripts installed to the previous version just carry over to the next branch when i tell it to "import settings"...but for whatever reason it was showing up under import/export options but just wasn't selectable. I re-downloaded the plugin and installed it like normal under my 2.72 addons and now it's working fine. You didn't happen to update the plugin for 2.72 in the last week or so have you? if not, then this is just a Blender hicup and just had to reinstall the plugin.

Since you're never on the IRC when I am; I've found a major flaw with your exporter (which I'm willing to fix, (ie, by the time you read this, i've fixed it, or cursing about it))You don't check the per-face smoothing to see if you need the flat normals at the vertices, or the smooth normals at the vertices. Hopefully this can be solved without me tearing my hair out :P

EDIT:

No offence, I can't understand your code at all! I guess I gotta be creative...

Edited by Night Lone

For those having issues installing to windows, when I extracted the zip it created a folder io_object_mu-master with a sub folder io_object_mu-master

So my install was like this when not listed in addons

C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\x.xx\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\io_object_mu-master

I removed the duplicate folder name and it worked

So my install was like this when listed in addons

C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\x.xx\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master

Where x.xx is your blender version folder.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I try to import a .mu but it comes up with a selection window that goes offscreen and doesn't do anything I:

The model should be there, since the program that the KSP model was originally made in wasn't blender the models cords in THE 3D space varies. Zoom way out on your 3D View and look for the model on the out skirts of your viewer. default your cursor to center and select the root empty for the KSP model then "move to cursor" and it will move the entire model with children to the center of your screen. hope this helps.

Hey guys, I'd like to double-check if the Taniwha's .MU exporter is still working correctly in Blender 2.72? We're not seeing many new *.MU file uploads at Sketchfab since Blender was updated, so I'm a little worried.
bartv: it does here (blender git build), but there were reports of people having trouble with it, so I don't really know what's going on either.

I posted a while back that i had issues with Mu importer and Blender 2.72, where i couldn't get it to even load up. Typically when i upgrade Blender to the newest version all my plugins convert over without any issues when i direct it to previous settings upon updating(at least MU always has). However, this time i haved to manually re-install the MU Importer plugin....after which it worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I wasn't able to get this to load into Blender. I'm completely new to Blender so it's likely I've missed something basic. I did the following:

1. Downloaded and installed Blender (64-bit) 2.72b from http://www.blender.org/download/

2. Downloaded .zip of GitHub and unzipped to folder in Documents

3. In User Preferences I've selected "Install from file..." and double clicked on import_mu.py

Blender changes back to User Preferences but no MU Import Export option is seen there so I'm unable to enable it.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong here?

For what it's worth, I wasn't able to get this to load into Blender. I'm completely new to Blender so it's likely I've missed something basic. I did the following:

1. Downloaded and installed Blender (64-bit) 2.72b from http://www.blender.org/download/

3. In User Preferences I've selected "Install from file..." and double clicked on import_mu.py

Blender changes back to User Preferences but no MU Import Export option is seen there so I'm unable to enable it.

You need to double click on the zip file, not the py file.

You need to double click on the zip file, not the py file.

Solved everything - THANKS!

Hi,

Actually this is not a difficult process to follow once it is explained (I have never used Blender, so I thought I would take a look at the software today :)..

My installation path is: "E:\Multimedia Applications\Blender3D", yours will be similar. Currently I have version 2.72b installed.

All that is required is to open up the zip file with your favourite utility and then drag the directory named io_object_mu-master from the zip file directly into the path "E:\Multimedia Applications\Blender3D\2.72\scripts\addons". After that start Blender; bring up the Addon tab in the User Preferences pane, scroll down till you see the text "Import-Export: Mu model format (KSP)" click the check box on the extreme right, save your settings and the job is done.

The next time you choose to use the file import/export options you will now see a new choice for importing KSP .mu files.

Edited by BruceKnowles

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to add a Flag, (FlagTransform mesh) to a stock part, copying the convention I saw in another stock part where flag is present and working. (That part exports back to .mu with no errors.) But, I think I'm missing something in the attempt to create a new sub-object for the other stock part, because...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:\blender-2.73-windows64\2.73\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\__init__.py", line 88, in execute
return export_mu.export_mu(self, context, **keywords)
File "J:\blender-2.73-windows64\2.73\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\export_mu.py", line 350, in export_mu
mu.obj = make_obj(mu, obj)
File "J:\blender-2.73-windows64\2.73\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\export_mu.py", line 342, in make_obj
muobj.children.append(make_obj(mu, o))
File "J:\blender-2.73-windows64\2.73\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\export_mu.py", line 342, in make_obj
muobj.children.append(make_obj(mu, o))
File "J:\blender-2.73-windows64\2.73\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\export_mu.py", line 323, in make_obj
muobj.renderer = make_renderer(mu, obj.data)
File "J:\blender-2.73-windows64\2.73\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\export_mu.py", line 294, in make_renderer
if mat.mumatprop.shader:
[B]AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'mumatprop'[/B]

Would this be familiar to anyone...

Hey guys,

I've been using blender for a while now, and this tool is great!!

Anyways, does anyone know how where in the _KSP directory the kerbal mesh is hidden? I've made my own, but I'm not too great at texturing; it would be nice if I could rip a pretextured model from the game.

Thanks,

Universe