[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

hey Fractal_UK, have you considered adding a part or two that uses exotic matter to make an anti-gravity bubble around a ship? maybe also some new scientific parts like various sized particle accelerators that can be used to make antimatter and exoticmatter as well as other elements. maybe telescopes and analyzers too, maybe the analyzers could be used on rovers to scan stuff like moon rocks, ocean and terrain to help generate more science points. and telescopes could be able to be used to discover and unlock new planets you could go to, like a hidden asteroid that's not charted between planetary orbits. maybe even some elemental resources that along with science; is needed to upgrade things, like certain amounts of iridium, lithium, titanium, etc is needed to for example, upgrade an antimatter chamber. maybe the scanners could scan for resources and special drills could be used to get the resources, like a low tier drill gets iut a little but of resources whereas a high tier drill could be manipulating gravitational fields (kinda by using gravity manipulating machinery that requires a ton of power and exotic matter) to take out the resources. and maybe the more of each respective element you have helps to increase science output. maybe add in support for the kethane mod :3 (sorry for the lengthy suggestion post xP)

KSV Intrepid, Prototype Warp ship and Long Duration Science Vessel, pictured in low Kerbin orbit, just after final docking of her drive section, and awaiting fuel.

4847065CEA3F2B3DAA2485187F220081B3FE980D

Non warp propulsion is also a prototype, a DT Vista Inertial Fusion Engine. Docking was performed un-Kerballed, due to the unstable nature of this unit. Once fueling is complete and systems checks are successful, 12 brave Kerbals will be sent into orbit and will board the vessel to make her ready for her maiden voyage.

hey Fractal_UK, have you considered adding a part or two that uses exotic matter to make an anti-gravity bubble around a ship? maybe also some new scientific parts like various sized particle accelerators that can be used to make antimatter and exoticmatter as well as other elements. maybe telescopes and analyzers too, maybe the analyzers could be used on rovers to scan stuff like moon rocks, ocean and terrain to help generate more science points. and telescopes could be able to be used to discover and unlock new planets you could go to, like a hidden asteroid that's not charted between planetary orbits. maybe even some elemental resources that along with science; is needed to upgrade things, like certain amounts of iridium, lithium, titanium, etc is needed to for example, upgrade an antimatter chamber. maybe the scanners could scan for resources and special drills could be used to get the resources, like a low tier drill gets iut a little but of resources whereas a high tier drill could be manipulating gravitational fields (kinda by using gravity manipulating machinery that requires a ton of power and exotic matter) to take out the resources. and maybe the more of each respective element you have helps to increase science output. maybe add in support for the kethane mod :3 (sorry for the lengthy suggestion post xP)

One: Use line seperators. It will make your post look much better and make it easier to read.

My opinions on your suggestion:

Anti-gravity bubble: What would it do? If it would just make the ship float, it could be very fun, but might also be unbalanced.

Particle accelerators: The science lab can already make antimatter, and the Warp Drive can make exoticmatter.

Analyzers: Good idea. Actually, someone's already made an addon-addon for that.

Telescopes: I'm quite sure that adding additionla planets to this addon is out of Fractal_UK's scope. There is, however, an in-dev mod somewhere that sadly isn't downloadable yet, which adds new planets and even stars.

Resources to go along with science: I personally find it a bad idea, as it would overcomplicate the process of upgrading stuff.

i still have a hell of a time coming out of warp only to find i have like 10kdv to burn off. I sort of quit using the warp drive because i always end up using more fuel than if i just do an old fashioned orbit transfer. Do you guys have this figured out or is it the same routine where you get there and have to cook off a pile of fuel?

i still have a hell of a time coming out of warp only to find i have like 10kdv to burn off. I sort of quit using the warp drive because i always end up using more fuel than if i just do an old fashioned orbit transfer. Do you guys have this figured out or is it the same routine where you get there and have to cook off a pile of fuel?

You just have to time it right. Wait until the closest approach between your starting planet and the target, and wait until you're going roughly the same direction that the target is. I managed a transfer to moho with only 6000dv and I could probably cut that down.

So, I've decided to give the mod a try. Downloaded it...and since I've never used mods for KSP before...I have no clue how to install it.

Note, I'm using a Mac.

Just unzip the zip file into your main KSP directory, all the directory structure that you need is inside the zip file to make things easy.

Just unzip the zip file into your main KSP directory, all the directory structure that you need is inside the zip file to make things easy.

I have no such directory. Typically, such things are found in Library > App Support > (App Name)

There isn't one for KSP at all, nor anything regarding squad, either. There's one for Steam, but it doesn't contain anything for Squad or KSP either.

I have no such directory. Typically, such things are found in Library > App Support > (App Name)

There isn't one for KSP at all, nor anything regarding squad, either. There's one for Steam, but it doesn't contain anything for Squad or KSP either.

You should be able to find it by going on to steam, right clicking on Kerbal Space Program in the Library, click properties. Select the local files tab at the top, then click "Browse Local Files". Unzip the mod file here.

You should be able to find it by going on to steam, right clicking on Kerbal Space Program in the Library, click properties. Select the local files tab at the top, then click "Browse Local Files". Unzip the mod file here.

I assume at that point it goes inside the "Plugins" folder?

KSV Intrepid, Prototype Warp ship and Long Duration Science Vessel, pictured in low Kerbin orbit, just after final docking of her drive section, and awaiting fuel.

4847065CEA3F2B3DAA2485187F220081B3FE980D

What mod are those orange tanks from? I keep seeing them...

~Steve

It shouldn't even work at all because you can't do non-physical timewarp inside the atmosphere. The only reason it probably does is if I haven't replaced the stock atmospheric altitude function, I'll check that.

Here is the thing that allows (and need) non-physical timewarp during refuelling:

L4Nb0av.jpg

I'll want to use this, to refuel my EVE SSTO with argon(Atmospheric Intake + Atmosspheric Scoop) and liquid fuel(kethane). Due the very slow flow of argon, i'll need "on rails" timewarp to fill 2 large argontanks.

Should you still fail to find some power to keep the antimatter contained, when the storage tank finally runs out of charge, the antimatter tank will violently explode. The blast radius is dependant upon the amount of antimatter in the tank but could easily threaten nearby vessels in addition to the one that caused the explosion!
Yeah! I fully support this product! ;)

Nope, just unzip the file directly into the kerbal space program directory and it will automatically install itself in the right place.

Thank you. Finally got it in. It was auto-unzipping to my downloads folder, so I had to change its destination and manually unzip it. Unfortunately, that only caused it to create a separate Game Data folder, which did no good. So I backed up everything and then stuck its contents in the original game folder.

It all works just fine. Now I'm going to make myself feel like an ignorant child as I toy with forces I can't comprehend. Mwa ha ha ha.

I'll want to use this, to refuel my EVE SSTO with argon(Atmospheric Intake + Atmosspheric Scoop) and liquid fuel(kethane). Due the very slow flow of argon, i'll need "on rails" timewarp to fill 2 large argontanks.

That's a cool concept but I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to help you here. The stock resource system fails at ongoing supply/demand without large "storage buffers" this is why resource generation is so often adversely affected by high timewarp speeds, you see it sooner than usual with intake resources because they tend to have very tiny storage capacities.

For a lot of stuff in this mod, I get around this by using my resource manager code but I don't think that's going to be a viable solution for intake resources.

I can improve the functioning of this under timewarp but you probably won't see your resource rates improve at quite the same rate as you are timewarping. This is a KSP limitation that I don't think I can do much about at present.

That's a cool concept but I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to help you here. The stock resource system fails at ongoing supply/demand without large "storage buffers" this is why resource generation is so often adversely affected by high timewarp speeds, you see it sooner than usual with intake resources because they tend to have very tiny storage capacities.
Ok, would it be a easy solution simply increase the intake storage capacity?
For a lot of stuff in this mod, I get around this by using my resource manager code but I don't think that's going to be a viable solution for intake resources.
I don't know, but is it possible to put the whole Intake -> scoop ( maybe -> sciencelab) chain also on rails? You know, there can be no "on rails" timewarp in the atmosphere if the vessel is moving. So _if_ the vessel is in "on rails" timewarp, the atmospheric precondition will never change during timewarp. So there is no nees to "simulate" something, but simply multiply the "raw rate" with the timewarp-factor.

I don't know, if this is possible.

I can improve the functioning of this under timewarp but you probably won't see your resource rates improve at quite the same rate as you are timewarping. This is a KSP limitation that I don't think I can do much about at present.
That would be very great. And when it also works in "not focused mode", this would be much greater ;)

I was wondering that myself. When I am in atmosphere I can't do any x5 or higher timewarp. Tested it just now on kerbal and on jool.

Land on the ground, stop moving(brakes on if you have wheels so you don't slide), activate time warp, profit(?) :cool:

Works* on Kerbin atleast, just double checked by taking the Stock Rocket-VTOL for a quick spin and landing it few clicks off of KSC and was able to do 100000x warp. Also, I can't count the times I've warped to sunrise on the pad or on my solar powered rover after night fell and it ran out of power while cruising in Kerbin. Haven't landed elsewhere with athmo yet, so can't speak for Eve or Laythe (if the latter has any land) and it probably doesn't work in Jool, due to the "surface" being what it is. I'd also assume oceans not qualifying for "landed & not moving", but didn't test it on the VTOL run. :blush:

*Unless this mod changes where and how you can time warp, I wouldn't know** since I'm waiting for .22 to install this mod and start my space program anew. :)

** I did read the whole thread and don't remember*** a mention of such a change :wink:

*** I've also read two other 100+ page threads in the last few days one of which was FAR, so I don't really remember much about anything, but there's some gray goo oozing out of my ears, is that bad? :confused:

P.S. First post on the forums, not a lurker anymore w00p w00p :D

So, what is the difference between the Alcubierre drive and the Bergenholm from the Lensmen series? They seem to have basically the same effect on velocity; particularly in that they both return your velocity to it's original state when you shut the drive off.