The New Helipad

So Bill, Jeb, and Bob decided to land one of their rockets on top of the VAB to get some more money from the public for the space program.

FvE90VL.jpg?1

Unfortunately, the amount of spilled and spat coffee on electrical devices and cleaning had no profit from that whatsoever, but it looked pretty cool.

n4HDr5g.jpg?1

BLOOPERS, while trying to land a modified Kerbal X

JOXhGbV.jpg?1

• 4 weeks later...

Made this a while ago. Flies super well thanks to the reaction wheel. It actually holds its attitude because its so light and the fact that theres a reaction wheel makes this thing super easy to pilot (in my case)

RIU5hCP.jpg

Aaaand its on the helipad.

ShLU1rn.jpg

Vincentlaw won this stock:

I tried using I-beams with structural pylons in a rotor hub design, but it didn't work, so I tried the standard radial decoupler and had more consistent results. It seems that when the decoupler gets stuck, the I-beam will spin, and when the I-beam is stuck, the decoupler will spin. These alternate modes have different amounts of friction, so if the two rotors are stuck in opposite modes, there will be an unbalanced torque.

To mitigate this, I gave the helicopter extra yaw authority and a bunch of SAS. The new 0.21 reaction wheel implementation may be strong enough to control yaw, pitch, and roll entirely without rotor input, which would allow for greatly simplified rotor design. This helicopter has a lot of stability/integrity problems though, and needs a redesign. I also discovered that if you make a part other than the cockpit the root part and it separates in a crash, the view/control will not follow the cockpit, and the pilot will be helpless.

More relevant to this topic: when I had the bearing I-beam connected to a micronode, both the I-beam and the decoupler could fail to rotate. Currently I have the I-beam mounted to a cubic octagonal strut and I have not had a rotation failure yet. I am not really sure what causes these rotation problems, but from my recent testing the physics have been inconsistent (varying between scene load), so I would say the locked structural pylon is in fact a bug, not a bug fix.

I have included my helicopter craft file as an example of a working rotor hub in 0.21. I assume it can also be applied to the motorized hinge system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2wibk4u2yrj29g/Clover%201.craft

aqr.png

The Zokesian Navy utilizes carrier craft more than any other water-based force. Helipad landing is a requirement to Navy Cadets early on, in preparation for landing on carriers later in their course.. They train on both the Gullplane fighter/bomber trainer and the larger Double Gull bomber trainer.

Meanwhile, the Air Force jocks, always showing off, use the helipad for practicing VTOL precision landings.

They make it look easy.

iUehl9m.png

Night or day, a carrier pilot must be able to return to his ship...

ad8m70Z.jpg

Another successful landing...

OBqam29.png

Edited by zekes

The Zokesian Navy utilizes carrier craft more than any other water-based force. Helipad landing is a requirement to Navy Cadets early on, in preparation for landing on carriers later in their course.. They train on both the Gullplane fighter/bomber trainer and the larger Double Gull bomber trainer.

Meanwhile, the Air Force jocks, always showing off, use the helipad for practicing VTOL precision landings.

They make it look easy.

iUehl9m.png

Night or day, a carrier pilot must be able to return to his ship...

ad8m70Z.jpg

Another successful landing...

OBqam29.png

How are your Kerbals suits blue?

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.