I need some community data: What's the average tonnage/part count of your crafts?

Egon

The reason I'm asking is because I need more data than just my own for this generator I'm making.

So any input will be greatly helpful! I'll even give you a thank in a thank you section for your help. :)

It all depends on the payload. For part count, I can say most of my craft will be under 300 parts so the game can run decently well, but space stations and bases can possibly get to much more.

Weight varies. An infiniglider might have 720 parts, yet only way 20 tones.

A rocket can have 120 parts, but weigh a few hundred.

If the craft is going to be complex, I try to limit part count, and the number I aim to stay below depends on the type and number of other craft it's expected to be used around.

I aim to limit things so there's only 500-600 parts in all vessels in an area at a time.

700 plus is alright on a good day, but does make things lag a fair bit.

Being the slightly-off engineer that I am, I've tracked the launch mass of (nearly) everything I've sent skyward in my primary save since .20 came out. In a spreadsheet even. A few clicks and keystrokes later and I can say my average launch mass is:

73,724.75kg over 140 tracked launches.

No idea about part count, but I use a bit of everything. If you know the average mass of all the parts combined, you could probably guesstimate from that (if you weight the math towards fuel tanks, of course).

My craft are usually 75-150 parts, unless they're multilpe ships docked together (stations, interplanetary vehicles). Not sure about tonnage. My crafts range from 4 tons (My miniature launcher) to 250+ (Eve orbiter and drop probe)

Depends on the type of craft. When I was playing with big jet powered lifters they were somewhere between 1000 and 3000 parts - over an hour real time to orbit - weighing in somewhere under 1000t. Slightly older and wiser, 300 parts makes for a mostly lag free experience, if that's putting 6 jumbos into orbit you're talking 400 to 500t, a big space wheel around 800t or nearer 1000t at launch or the inter moon lander I'm playing with around 70t (?) empty and 160t fully fueled.

I have a insanely large lifter with 450 parts and 8500~ tons of rocket that lifts 1050 tons into orbit. But most launches are in the 300 ton range.

You get an 8500t rocket in 450 parts? That many usually only yields me around 2000t (and only around a 300t payload). I'd be curious to see how you keep that together.

If I'm doing a simple mission (round trip to a planet) my ships usually come in around 60-150 part range, don't remember the mass. But I also have a thing for launching tankers (even though to this day I have never refueled out of one of them, I like single-launch missions) and other heavy payloads. These commonly weigh in the 200-400t range, so the total launch masses are typically 1500-3000t and 300-700 parts. They also usually require around 30 design iterations to make stable enough to reliably get to orbit.

I'm amazed at the huge size of launch rockets many of you have. I thought I was being excessive with my biggest ever 13 rockomax orange tank launcher. It seems IRL this is too risky to have 10+ stages and they rather have separate launches and merge in orbit - which I really enjoyed when building my KSS (Kerbal Space Station).

average tonnage: ~80 tons mostly because I spent all my time building a space station and gathering 30,000kg of fuel there. The average will drop quickly when I move to the next phase that will launch simple crafts that refuel in orbit and then explore other planets, come back and refuel.

My large rockets always weigh in from 550~800T and depending on the mission the part count goes from 160 for a refueler, all the way to 750 for some intricate landers / rovers. My space planes, however, are small efficient littler boogers. Usually they weigh in around 20T and have 50 parts.

You get an 8500t rocket in 450 parts? That many usually only yields me around 2000t (and only around a 300t payload). I'd be curious to see how you keep that together.

NovaPunch 5 meter tanks and engines held together with the super-struts. It's also massively asparagus'd with 19 engines. It was an experiment in excessive rocket design turned into a tanker launcher.

My crafts usually end up in the 30-50 ton range (not including launcher). How many parts varies way to widely to give a good number but a rough estimate would be around 120-250 parts.

I do however have one efficient little craft (part wise) that comes in with launcher at just 88 parts. Weighs in at just 470 tons fully fueled.

Most of my launches are either under 100 parts (for light launches inside the Kerbin/Mun/Minmus system) or around 200 parts for interplanetary launches (and those tend to need multiple launches per mission) and other heavy stuff like space stations.

Mass into LKO up to about 100 tons, wet weight on launch ranging up to about 800 tons.

I avoid making launchers massing over 250t, and with more than 100 parts.

Standard payload is usually 15 - 20 parts. Then again I do have shortcuts:

Mini-RTG and probe core in one part (with mass increased a bit)

Array of ~8 solar panels and ~8 struts in one solar panel (as above)

"Clown Car" 1m Pod - holds 250 kerbals. I use it to roast those kerbals on a very low solar orbit...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.