Kerbals MIA?

Last night I had a rather... interesting accident with a spaceplane and had to bring her down immediately. Jersey Kerman, trooper and iron-man pilot, bravely got the stricken craft about 80km away from the KSP before running out of jet fuel and having to set down in the foothills of that mountain range. It happened too fast; either the starboard landing gear gave way or the starboard wing tip dug itself in, but the bird disassembled itself in a long, slow crash that left no debris to recover.

But Jersey wasn't dead. He wasn't reported killed in the F3 report. And when I returned to the Space Centre he was listed as "Missing".

Okay... what just happened? Do I expect Jersey to walk back through 80km of wilderness in a few days, or what?

-- Steve

I agree that the whole concept of kerbals "missing in action" only to appear later does cheapen the whole kerbal recruitment system. There is literally no reason to hire kerbals once you have enough to run your missions. If they die they just pop back up in your available kerbals reserve as soon as you reload the game, or not long thereafter.

Perhaps this will be rectified for career mode.

By default, lost kerbals are marked as MIA, and re-appear after a long time. In the settings file, there's a permadeath line, which if sets true makes Kerbals go KIA and never re-appear.

I've only lost one in my space program so far, thankfully.

• 2 months later...
"Missing in action" is just a polite euphemism..

Kind of how the submarine community say that subs who never returned is "still on patrol"

Makes sense in some setting like where the ship hit something and disappear while not in focus. Not then you hit Mun with 300 m/s and the ship is destroyed.

Has lost one kerbal in 0.22, he was hit by the hell kraken doing eva on Gilly.

Lander ended up in an weird orbit around Eve.

Edited by magnemoe

MIA doesn't mean dead, there are plenty of cases of MIA people being found. In order to be KIA the remains have to be recovered and identified.

If the MIA and KIA is working correctly the only conclusion is that Kerbals are so tough they can survive slamming into side of a mountin at 200 feet a second and subsequent explosion. This happened In career mode, I used a new recruit as a test pilot with an ambitious prototype craft which ended in complete destruction. The poor Kerbal listed as MIA, but obviously lived as a few missions later he re-appeared in the recruited list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.