Should the MechJeb Maneuver Planner eventually become stock?

CaptainCrunch

There are times with it feels like using a maneuver node is more work. For example, you want to circularize your orbit. Adding the node and then tugging on the little icons even while just eyeballing the result takes enough effort that unless you absolutely need to be precise about the orbit you might as well just point prograde/retrograde and feather the throttle while watching the orbital map. With the maneuver planner you can have it set that node in a few simple clicks. There are times it can feel a little like cheating. Getting the maneuver planner to start a plan to transfer to another planet is quite helpful especially if you're not sure what all the angles should be. Then there is the really feels like cheating part with the fine tune closest approach minimizing DV. It saves so much time in trying to plan those careful fine adjustments even with the option of the node editor. Also, not only does the node editor make numerical adjustments to nodes easy but it lets you do something hat the normal node system isn't setup for, and change the time of the node.

First off, Squad has said there will be no 'autopilot'. This does not rule out kerbal control or programmed functions. Sort of like the 'execute next node' function. If you plan the maneuvers, the ship will execute them even if you are not actively switched to it. The accuracy and tolerance is a function of something like radio range and/or kerbal stupidity.

THIS sounds realistic, balancable, and a whole lot more agreeable between Squad, who says no auto, and players, who like automation.

And yes, we can probably also expect to see mechjeb-esque info windows because it's helpful.

I really don't think that would be in the best, here's why.

1: The current maneuver node system is very well crafted in the manner you can see what effect changing the node has on your orbit. For new players, this is invaluable at learning orbital mechanics/transfers and beyond.

2: If we have the system simply plot a course, then the user isn't really learning anything about what forces go into this plot, as they might see it as a graphed line, and not something that they themselves have a good grasp on.

tl;dr I've not much experience with mechjeb, but I don't think something so rigid should go into the base game.

I agree even if I use mechjeb a lot, the execute node function had made more sense as stock as it don't take any skills. Something like protractor for planetary transfers should also be included.

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.
I agree, Mech Jeb does too much for the player and detracts from their skill and the game.

Yeah! Rather than being able to designate a maneuver precisely at a given point, players should have to fumble with the little ring like real astronauts do! :rolleyes:

Game design is tricky; you want a game to be challenging or you won't play it. At the same time, you don't want experienced players to loose interest because they're forced to spend a lot of time on boring tasks either, or get frustrated because an interface for novice players is limiting them.

"Ports of Call" used to have a model where you could choose to pay for a pilot to guide your ship to the quay. Beginning players simply couldn't afford the pilot but as you start to make more money the pilot fees are more affordable, so after a while you don't have to spend a lot of time on getting the vessels in and out. And to make it exciting, once in a while the pilots go on strike and you have to do it yourself anyway. "Elite" had something similar with the automatic docking computer (I'm showing my age here! :) ); by the time you could afford it the only reason you needed the ADC was convenience, not because you needed to bypass "the hard parts" of the game.

Mech Jeb could be something similar. First of all, it has to learn the maneuvers (that would be in line with the canon of the game), so you'd have to unlock certain Mech Jeb functionality by doing it yourself. Added feature: the more you do it the better Mech Jeb gets at the job. You'd have to ascent in Mech Jeb "learning mode", indicate your desired target orbit and get as close to it as possible. Your best margin of error will be Mech Jeb's margin of error!

You'd have to ascent in Mech Jeb "learning mode", indicate your desired target orbit and get as close to it as possible. Your best margin of error will be Mech Jeb's margin of error!

That's a fantastic idea. When you build a new rocket, you'd click the "launch it for me" button and your pilot would be, like, "Uhhh, this thing looks a little different from the last one. I give myself about a 50/50 chance of actually reaching orbit. Care to show me a better way?"

I would say yes to any aspect of MechJeb which is purely informational in nature: give me information to better plan and execute something, but don't do it for me. Winging it, guesstimating, and going with your "gut feeling" might be fine to get you into orbit, but fine tuning a burn from Kerbin orbit straight into a Jool aerobraking maneuver before you're more than 240Km away from Kerbin needs some decimal places, and that's why I have MechJeb (and Protractor on anything Interplanetary) on most of my designs.

As the node planner "does it for me" for way to many kinds of maneuvers, I'd rather see it not be part of the stock game.

I'd even be willing to give up the "smart ass", if all 6 vector icons showed on the "meatball" (dynamically updated, so that the normal/anti-normal vectors are showed in "real time"), and the cross-hairs and target icons could be tuned down to a single pixel width so I can get the thrust vector exact.

Thing I find annoying about manoeuvre nodes is you can't see what's going on properly as you do it, like want to change ascending node to zero, well, you'll have to tug the lil triangle then hover over the marker tag for the ascending node to see the value, then move and tug the triangle a little more then hover then tug, I wish all the labels on thing appeared when you edit the node so you could see the distances for intercepts, and the periapsis and apoapsis and whatever else you need to see as you are adjusting the node.

Why do people still complain about bugs that were fixed in 20.0? Click on your PE or AP!

http://vd.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1ir9n2/waymod_to_show_apoapsisperiapsis_while_adding/

Why do you need a button to do *click* put a maneuver node to go to jool with the optimum efficiency to the nanosecond?

Just use the maneuver nodes. (although numbers on maneuver nodes will be good for precise tuning)

so i am fine with the number editor for maneuver nodes but just not a automatic planner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.