Docking Problem

So i made an awesome space station which i'm able to launch into orbit around Kerbin. However, i'm having trouble with the docking ports which run parallel to the centre of the station.

Basically what happens, I make an orbital rendezvous and the spacecraft and station start coming closer together. All good here.

My problem occurs when the two craft come within a few metres of each other that I realize my space shuttle/probe is actually being directed to the centre of the station, not the docking port.

I proceed to spend the next ten minutes trying to manually dock the craft without the navball and either give up or miraculously dock the craft.

sa9BR8H.png?2

4lOLYUK.png

knh8yA5.png

The problem ports are circled in red (station is fully symmetrical so problem is on both sides of the station)

Is there a certain way around this? is my game bugged or do i just need to design my station differently?

I also apologize in advance if this problem has been answered in a previous thread.

Edited by krill97

This is the sort of situation "set as target" is intended to handle.

Bring up the menu of the docking port on the station with which you want to dock. Click "set as target". The target indicator on your navball will now refer to that docking port instead of the command pod.

I've noticed that from the probe/craft's POV it directs me to the correct docking port (with set as target). however, my station, despite changing control over to the docking port, still tells me that i'm off course, directing the craft towards the centre of the station.

should i just ignore what the station's navball tells me and only line up the pro-grade/target marker on the craft? (obviously making sure the docking ports are facing each other).

on a side note, my docking ports are all correctly set (i have docked before, with no difficulty except for circled ports).

Edited by krill97

I figured that the best way to dock would be to constantly switch between the two docking vessels and make sure they're both on course.

Should i just face the docking ports towards each other and only control from one of the vessels from that point onward?

I figured that the best way to dock would be to constantly switch between the two docking vessels and make sure they're both on course.

Should i just face the docking ports towards each other and only control from one of the vessels from that point onward?

Yeah that's exactly what I do. Maybe, MAYBE switch to the station once and make sure it's not wobbling or rotating. Turn SAS on and all that. Then go to your ship and do all the actual work there, never going back to your station.

You rightclick the target docking port and "set as target", then your navball will direct you to it. If you keep swapping between ships you'll have to retarget every time you swap. On your screen the 'target box' on your station will always stay on the middle of the station with the distance readout, but your navball will still guide you to the docking port.

Yeah that's exactly what I do. Maybe, MAYBE switch to the station once and make sure it's not wobbling or rotating. Turn SAS on and all that. Then go to your ship and do all the actual work there, never going back to your station.

So i've performed a few dockings like this and its worked like a charm, definitely made everything easier.

Thank you! :)

You should never need to switch to the station you're docking with. Just use time warp for a few seconds and everything will stop rotating.

While on approach, right click on the docking port on your ship and select "control from here"

When you're close enough, right click on the stations docking port and set it as the target.

Switch to the chase view. This makes sure that the top of the ship is at the top of the screen and makes it easier to figure out which way to thrust with the RCS.

At this point, as long as the yellow velocity vector marker is over the pink target marker you'll hit the docking port.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.