They See Me Rolling: A Rover Discussion

Pezzhippo

Firegeek, I did say 'cockpit' Those command chairs don't have reaction wheels built in. You try putting a Mk1 cockpit on one end and a Mk2 cockpit on the other end facing in the opposite direction of a 10-ton ship/rover. 'Awkward' isn't even close.. :-}

Yes you did! However, I wouldn't use such a control [cockpit] method for a rover for the reasons you cited. IMO, it tends to introduce issues when used as a rover instead of what it is designed for. But everyone has their own way of creation. BTW, I have done what you suggested before (weighed under 8 tons) and quickly realized the horrible design it was in low grav.

The speed listed in the description is the surface velocity at which the wheels will explode and probably kill your Kerbals.

I can attest to that. In my head I thought that figure applied to Kerbin conditions and not lower gravity, but... I had the bright idea of strapping an ion drive to the rover I was sending to Minmus as a last minute addition. I was pleased and it was working great hauling butt at about 50m/s across the greater flats until I throttled it up again as I zoomed out to check how much farther I had to go... BOOM! Oooops. Other than that, it's a pretty solid although basic rover that I used to carry some science supplies out to a different biome, take the data and leave the spent pieces. The revision model which will be going next time omits the ion drive (both for the sake of balance and Kerbal well-being) and relies only on RCS to speed up the process of starting or stopping and give downforce for turning.

KSP2014-05-0804-07-20-03.jpg~original

That's an awesome looking little rover :)

Thanks! It doesn't look like much, but this thing is a trooper. You can alternate between electric power and RCS for movement instead of a single point of locomotion (in case broken panels). Plus, you don't need a Kerman in order to use (those seats don't control it :D)

I´m currently running two series with rovers on my Youtube channel:

1.- "Let´s Launch" with a giant Pyramid/VTOL/Rover, this one is its maiden flight to the pyramid complex in Kerbin´s deserts, and later on the series it lands on Duna near to the misterius "face of Duna". It rolls at 24 m/s on both planets and drives very well.

Lots of rockets. My payload to LKO was something like 2800 tons.

I raise you a 2.985 tons payload with 3002 parts and 36 stages. :sticktongue:

2.- The other series is "Rover Adventures - Around Kerbin", my personal challenge to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover, no mods, only stock because HARDCORE. It´s a simpler design, low center of mass and multiple wheels.

Yes you did! However, I wouldn't use such a control [cockpit] method for a rover for the reasons you cited. IMO, it tends to introduce issues when used as a rover instead of what it is designed for. But everyone has their own way of creation. BTW, I have done what you suggested before (weighed under 8 tons) and quickly realized the horrible design it was in low grav.

Each to their own. My Kerbals have travelled hundred of kilometres in them, without incident after the first one. They get the job done, are simple and can always do sub-orbital hops if need be. Heck, they can even return to Kerbin. (shrugs) Works for me, anyway!

Edited by Esme
correction of a typo

If you're concerned about your rover being able to stick the ground on extremely low gravity bodies, you could always mount an ion engine such that it faces "up" and engage it when you're moving across the surface -- just make sure it is place at a very near the center of mass.

I've discovered new rover tecnology:

Nah. I used Damned Robotics (Infernal Robotics predecessor) when it first came out to create something very similiar to the first thingie. No pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74wl8tmBbbo

When you add RTGs it can go anywhere really.

Edited by EvilotionCR2

Nah. I used Damned Robotics (Infernal Robotics predecessor) when it first came out to create something very similiar to the first thingie. No pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74wl8tmBbbo

Your is more like a segway robot, he used legs on rotating plates.

Not new has been used in toy robots for ages.

Now wonder if you could make an fast walker, perhaps a jumper. benefit is that it would work better with low gravity.

Your is more like a segway robot, he used legs on rotating plates.

Not new has been used in toy robots for ages.

Now wonder if you could make an fast walker, perhaps a jumper. benefit is that it would work better with low gravity.

Two wheels are too much? Fine!

r0mnE15.png

• 2 months later...
I´m currently running two series with rovers on my Youtube channel:

1.- "Let´s Launch" with a giant Pyramid/VTOL/Rover, this one is its maiden flight to the pyramid complex in Kerbin´s deserts, and later on the series it lands on Duna near to the misterius "face of Duna". It rolls at 24 m/s on both planets and drives very well.

http://youtu.be/iEDvUGKQOi8

I raise you a 2.985 tons payload with 3002 parts and 36 stages. :sticktongue:

2.- The other series is "Rover Adventures - Around Kerbin", my personal challenge to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover, no mods, only stock because HARDCORE. It´s a simpler design, low center of mass and multiple wheels.

It's a bloody great spike!

Heritorasphodelheritorasphodelheritorasphodel!

I'm interested in seeing the launch vehicles that get these rovers into space. I have a very hard time designing a rocket that looks like a rocket and can get a rover into orbit.

It's hard to make rockets look like real rockets with some rover designs, especially when they start getting big. We don't really have the option to stow away protruding parts, or assemble it on site, so we're mostly forced to launch them as they are, aerodynamics be damned!

Those are 3.5m tanks beneath this monster, although I have nothing on Wooks' Duna pyramid. :blush:

screenshot753.png?psid=1

It just takes a bit of creativity and practice, and there's nothing that can't be launched into orbit. :cool:

Edited by Voculus

Sent a rover to tylo today. At the max it can go 26 m/s (because of some 24-77's). We'll at least on Kerbin it can do that.

I went along some smooth terrain, not a giant mountain to drive over. But, on the smallest little bump, all my tires blew. Since this was an unkerballed rover, well damn it.

In past versions I almost always had a Mini-Rover underneath my landers ... here a gallery of such a thing in KSP 0.23

http://imgur.com/a/8jL9P

It is more or less Apollo-Style ... i.e. Spaceship with lander underneath ... which itsefl has the rover underneath.

I should add that in the current version I´ll only rarely use it anymore ... Mun and Minmus get an orbital station with a science lab and research is done via a reusable lander that flies between surface and station. Reattaching the rover to the lander for every return to the station seems to be hard work if not impossible, without using mods like KAS.

Therefore in the current version I´ll most likely only use the lander/rover concept for missions where the lander isn´t going to get reused (like for Duna landings, for example)

Edited by Godot

I have a single rover design I use for all my missions.

The way I figure it, an ideal system theoretically requires no rovers. All of your habitation modules, kethane plants, return vehicles... everything is delivered precisely where it needs to be, fully fueled, fully assembled.

Rovers exist because perfection doesn't, so a rover needs to be able to do everything on the surface I can't do from orbit. This gives me requirements for my rover.

1) It must be all-terrain capable. Preferably capable of swimming to shore.

2) It must be capable of transporting a load across the surface.

3) It must serve as a construction vehicle.

These are all "hard" requirements. Anything else it does are bonuses, but if you can make it do more, it simplifies your logistical problem. You still have to get the rover itself to the surface. You still have to get your payload to the surface or orbit. A good design allows the rover to serve as an SSTO delivery vehicle as well.

4) It must be capable of deorbit and landing with a payload on every habitable body in the system.

5) It must be capable of SSTO operation to orbit with a payload from every habitable body in the system... with the exception of Eve, which is impossible.

Fuel is, of course, the #1 logistical concern, so it needs to be able to serve all these functions while serving as a tanker.

This design serves all those functions and also has a "flying car" capability that comes in handy from time to time.

Feel free to use it or improve it for your needs.

Best,

-Slashy

I cant find the post right now, but someone posted a misssion with a small segway style rover attached to the top of the lander. This is by far the most stable and fun rover i have used so far. I am not taking credit for it, only using it :D.

j35CpkV.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.