Reducing RCS power in EVA?

I usually do just tap the keys. It's still too much. I'd like it to be more like a small ship on RCS. (if you want to move fast you hold the button for a while) And are you sure about the 2 direction thing? I would think that running 2 thrusters is applying more movement than just 1.

I'd really like to just find a config file or a plugin that would fix it.

Think the jetpack should be automatically run on reduced power in orbit. Nice to have an actual jetpack on ground but in orbit you rarely do more advanced than move between two ships 100 meters apart.

You have to tap and be careful, panicking can easy take you hundreds of meters away from target.

I usually do just tap the keys. It's still too much. I'd like it to be more like a small ship on RCS.

Not to try and say it's balanced, I'd prefer it myself if jetpack RCS was a little less powerful. But how heavy is a Kerbonaught compared to a small ship? Whilst it doesn't quite seem right with how much propellant they store in their backpacks compared to their size and total mass, it feels like standard RCS power to me if you were to get a flat prob body, put a small propellant tank on it then two of the single-direction RCS bits on the bottom and you'd go relatively the same as a Kerbal when comparing mass with how I find.

You have to tap and be careful, panicking can easy take you hundreds of meters away from target.

I don't quite wind up with this problem when travelling between parts on the same ship/station/docked group, moreso when I need to travel inbetween ships that are a fair number of metres apart I try to earn a better velocity to get to the other ship in fair time without using timewarp because I don't trust it and like to think I can do things without it, I go off course by more than a hundred metres past it instead of smacking into the ship at high velocity but I'm learning to cope with it and that I need as much time slowing down as I did speeding up because vacuum of spaaaaaace.

Not to try and say it's balanced, I'd prefer it myself if jetpack RCS was a little less powerful. But how heavy is a *Kerbonaut compared to a small ship? Whilst it doesn't quite seem right with how much propellant they store in their backpacks compared to their size and total mass, it feels like standard RCS power to me if you were to get a flat prob body, put a small propellant tank on it then two of the single-direction RCS bits on the bottom and you'd go relatively the same as a Kerbal when comparing mass with how I find.

I don't quite wind up with this problem when travelling between parts on the same ship/station/docked group, moreso when I need to travel inbetween ships that are a fair number of metres apart I try to earn a better velocity to get to the other ship in fair time without using timewarp because I don't trust it and like to think I can do things without it, I go off course by more than a hundred metres past it instead of smacking into the ship at high velocity but I'm learning to cope with it and that I need as much time slowing down as I did speeding up because vacuum of spaaaaaace.

I don't find any problems in EVA.

• 6 months later...

I found that using a "Space Navigator" 6DOF device is the hot ticket for precision Jetpack flying. It can control your Kerbals' EVA as delicately as you're able to use it. Still can't do Pitch or Roll, though.

I rely on tiny, quick, single-direction taps of thrust. Kinda like a delicate docking maneuver. Come to think of it, once I started docking lopsided and unbalanced station parts with lousy clearance (my designs don't take putting things together into account well), I can do EVA stuff rather comfortably. Not long ago I'd avoid anything more complicated than letting go of the hatch.

The key, to me at least, is to focus on only one direction at a time because otherwise I over correct.

Caps Lock switches between coarse and fine controls in a craft, I've no idea if it works for a Kerbal. Possibly not, since there's no indication of it. I think if it were changed it would have to be a fine/coarse switch like that, just weakening the jetpack would stop you doing things, and an automatic surface/orbit switch would switch when you want it least, like when you're killing your horizontal speed for an EVA landing.

I don't find any problems in EVA.

Ditto. If you're flinging your Kerbals all over the place with EVA, you're just not doing it right. It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, there's really nothing at all to it.

I don't understand why the controls aren't the same as ships. just make wsad rotation and ikjl translation. It seems like extra programming to have all the controls the same except for a Kerbal on Eva. The mouse? Seriously.... It makes no sense

The only time my kerbals are flung all over the place involve ladders ... they can generate a LOT of force if they can grab, probably from the rotation (especially since I'm usually EVAing with all the ladders horizontal)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.