In the Shadow of the Mun

DGatsby

The guys at Barrydennen12 on Youtube have made a great machinima, recreating the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon" in Kerbal! Check it out:

Just to clarify, I didn't make it; I only saw it and thought it deserves a place here. Direct all praise to Barrydennen12

Edited by DGatsby

That was really great. If you don't know, it's clearly modeled on the documentary, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, right down to some of the dialogue from the kerbalnauts. Here's a link to the original if there are any other space history buffs here. I have it and highly recommend it to all:

http://www.amazon.com/In-Shadow-Moon-Harrison-Schmitt/dp/B000XJ5TPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377972805&sr=8-1&keywords=in+the+shadow+of+the+moon+dvd

Eep! Just want to thank DGatsby for posting this thread, it really means a lot.

"It breaks my heart to think KERBALS could fall victim to the same foolishness WE did"

That's the beauty of KSP though, it lets you carry on where we weren't able (or willing) to.

"That was utterly awesome. The lighting, the animation.."

I'm a bit self conscious about some of the methods I had to use (owing to a complete ignorance of proper 3D software), but from some of the stuff I've seen in the fan art threads I think there's definitely some people around who could take the ball and run with it.

"it's clearly modeled on the documentary, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON"

Yep! It was supposed to emulate the trailer for the movie, but there was too many lines from the full length picture that I wanted to use so it blew out in length a bit.

" Next time though, they/he/she could ask RewDew2 for his kerbal models"

I really did think about reaching out to some people for help with the Kerbal characters - it would've allowed me to do some more interesting stuff in the 'period' footage as well. Again; people with that expertise can probably make such a film on their own without my meddling, so I just did what I could. Heh.

"The voices are a bit irritating sometimes. I've tried to reverse some of them and got nothing. They're really totally scrambled"

When I was figuring out how to do this thing, I faintly recall someone saying that the real Kerbals speak in backwards Spanish (correct me if I'm wrong). I just did the lines in old-astronaut voice and scrambled them. If you know what to listen for, the lines are virtually the same as the subtitles (most of the time), although yeah - they're not quite how I wanted them to be. Something to learn from!

Anyhow, cheers for the nice words everyone. It really means a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.