Space debris issues?

Hi,

I was just wondering early today, has anyone here had any issues with space debris in your KSP universe? Have you ever lost space stations or large ships due to collisions with debris? Please let us know, I'm quite interested to hear your stories if you have any!

I've not had any issues myself yet, although I've noticed some near by my ships a couple of times, but no collisions yet. However, now I posted the last sentence, my next mission will be destroyed by debris! :P

Jacob

Well, in a recent mission I just made it up to orbit in a semi-apollo style ship. I detached the main stage, spend a couple of minutes rearranging my craft undocking the lander and putting it on the front.

I setup my maneuver node for the trans Munar burn. Started to burn, and about 10 seconds later slammed straight into the main stage I'd decoupled a couple of minutes earlier. Fortunately everyone was still in the command module, so although the lander was wrecked the kerbals survived and were able to return back home.

I once did the ultimate Kessler syndrome test, blowing ship up in a 75 km orbit (hyperedit) until there were around 250 debris spread in a ring around Kerbin. Then I flew a rocket retrograde at 75 km height. After 1 hour physics time warp, guess what, NOTHING happened. Although parts constantly passed me between 150m and 5 km away 250 debris is still to low to be a problem.

One time I deployed a telescope into orbit, then I see a grey circle appear, and come within 5 km which is by the time I start considering evasive maneuvers, then as it gets towards 2.5 km I realize ITS COMING STRAIGHT AT ME!!!!!! Naturally I did what anyone else would do, FULL POWAR!!!!! I barely missed it, it came within 75 or so meters o.o

And guess what,

That was one of only THREE pieces of debris in orbit!

Maybe I shouldn't park all my permenant ships around 100 km orbit, cause that's where a lot of my debris ends up.

Or put more powerful engines on them,

No real interference but with each launch I'll see one piece of debris fly overhead at 50Km to even 5Km. There have been some close ones though at about 800m nothing scary though, oddly however I've come closer to hitting satellites in orbit then debris closest one was about 150m.

isnt reallly space debris but i was flying one of my planes around a rocket on the launch pad and physics did the magic detonate the ship to a billion peices and it took out my plane via the use of a jumbo 64 tank to the face........... but it was sooooo funny

Well, in a recent mission I just made it up to orbit in a semi-apollo style ship. I detached the main stage, spend a couple of minutes rearranging my craft undocking the lander and putting it on the front.

I setup my maneuver node for the trans Munar burn. Started to burn, and about 10 seconds later slammed straight into the main stage I'd decoupled a couple of minutes earlier. Fortunately everyone was still in the command module, so although the lander was wrecked the kerbals survived and were able to return back home.

Reading this has reminded me of something I did now, its quite similar to yours.

I had just put the core of what was going to be a space station (I never got round to doing it) into its orbit. I still had some fuel left in the stage I had just decoupled so I decided to de orbit it, or at least put it into a orbit where nothing could crash into it. I began burning, but then noticed I was moving at high speed towards the space station. I tried to stop and move out of its way, but it hit one of the solar panels. Luckily, nothing but that one solar panel was damaged, and since I had another one it didn't really matter, but it did look a bit stupid!

Not sure why I put this into the gameplay questions and tutorials bit, I thought it went into General KSP discussion section, unless it was moved. If it is in the wrong place, anyone who can feel free to move it to the right section.

Like the icons in the tracking station? I don't see anything like that in the map view when I'm piloting a craft. I'll have to look again when I get home.

I'm not sure if you actually can see the debris icons in map view anymore, I still have a copy of KSP .19 where you could see the debris, but from .20 onwards, I don't this you can. Although, when a piece of debris, or any ship for that matter, comes closer than 100km to you, it will show up on the normal view of the ship instead of on the map.

The display toggles are normally hidden in the Map View, but if you leave your cursor at the top of the screen for a second, they should drop down.

While I'm at it, I might as well share: I haven't really had any issues with debris as such, but on one of my 0.21 Mun landing missions, I forgot to decouple my escape tower until the craft had already reached LKO. As it turns out, without anything else attached to it, the escape tower had enough delta-v to reach escape velocity, so it's become the first object from Kerbin (in this particular save) to enter an orbit around the sun.

I had an encounter with one of my probes while leaving the Munar surface. The lander survived (albiet without one of its parachutes and a solar array), but the orbit of the probe was ruined and it de-orbited by the time my lander returned to Kerbin. I was totally surprised and had quite a laugh!

During the construction of my space station, I ended up dumping the rendezvous stages at the same altitude as the station, but I am yet to encounter any issues. After a few months the debris seems to have spread out evenly in the orbit, moving at similar speeds, so I don't think a collision would be a big issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.