The hardest thing in KSP for me is....

Dimetime35c

It was making a plane like SSTO for me with at least 2 hitchhiker modules (all stock), BUT yesterday night I finally managed ! I was and am so Happy !!! Took off, docked with 100k m space station, unloaded 8 kerbals crew and landed back at KSC safely. Need another challenge now, in the meantime i'm rebuilding space infrastructure with new save created with in 0.21.

This is a challenge for anyone exept seasoned vets at station construction, even me. Build and maintain a space station at a far away world (meaning not Eve or Duna, try Jool or Kerbol :sticktongue:).

Landing, can never judge how far off the ground is and when to burn, a few Mun Pancakes (only rovers not Kerbals) resulted and a lot of wasted fuel due to descending super slow. For kerbal landings I pack plenty of extra fuel and go really slow. Sometimes I let mechjeb do it but then mechjeb has caused several pancakes too.

This one has bugged me from time to time. My solution is to pop into an IVA view. One of the instruments on the dashboard inside the command pods is a radar altimeter. The range is only 3km or so, but it can be a real help when deciding when to slow from say 70 to 170 m/s to 5.

Finding the burn window for interplanetary transfers or rendezvous when it's not during the current orbit. Can haz future orbit maneuver node planning plz?

Having patience during efficient low-TWR transfer burns. Balancing TWR and efficiency in order to circularize an orbit fast enough, but without being wasteful.

Judging how much fuel I'll need for a mission (and I am too purist/too lazy to use a tool to calculate what my design will do). I've been to Moho several times; I've landed on Moho fewer times...and each time, I intended to return, but have succeeded only once.

Making planes that glide to a landing at under 50m/s, due to control surface magic thrust keeping the speed up.

Finding the burn window for interplanetary transfers or rendezvous when it's not during the current orbit. Can haz future orbit maneuver node planning plz?

Having patience during efficient low-TWR transfer burns. Balancing TWR and efficiency in order to circularize an orbit fast enough, but without being wasteful.

Judging how much fuel I'll need for a mission (and I am too purist/too lazy to use a tool to calculate what my design will do). I've been to Moho several times; I've landed on Moho fewer times...and each time, I intended to return, but have succeeded only once.

Mods.

For me, the hardest thing to do in KSP is probably airplanes. But then, that's not my real attraction to the game, so I suppose landing at a specific spot.

Hmm...

Well there are the things I spend a lot of time on... Like just the other day... Trying to get a big awkward thing into orbit with enough fuel left to get it to the Mun... I failed... but I think my last design will do it... I just haven't gone back and tried it yet.

Then there is the thing I tried for a week to do and haven't come back to try again for 2 game updates... .19 - well I haven't tried again yet... Getting a full orange tank up and docked to my space station. So that's probably my hardest thing.

There are things that are hard... landing... docking... aerobraking which I'm not brave enough to attempt... landing with precision on a body with an atmosphere. But I enjoy the challenge of all these things... well maybe not the awkward thing to orbit... that's a little frustrating but still I'm going to feel good when I get it.

I don't use mechjeb for 2 primary reasons. 1. it would remove everything I consider fun about the game. 2. it's a Mod and mods break with nearly every update or break the game and I just can't be bothered to deal with them yet.

sub reason... I tried it once and it blew up all my rockets... rockets I could pilot myself to orbit just fine... supposedly they've fixed that with recent versions so this reason is no longer valid.

Echostatic

The hardest thing to me is figuring out how to get to other planets and back. The wiki has instructions on planetary alignment for Duna and Eve, as well as Jool, but I think that's it. I have no idea when to take off from them to get home.

Getting back from Duna is like going to Eve from Kerbin. Getting back from Eve is like going to Duna from Kerbin. Have those 2 sets of instructions covers all scenarios.

Preventing Jeb from pushing the big red shiny button in midflight.

Jokes aside. Eve return mission was hard.

But the most time consuming and hardest I recon that I have done, is to turn the orbit from anticlockwise into clockwise.

Tried to aerobrake on Eve which ripped the ship apart.

Too much work for little to no gain from it

I'd say the task I have in front of me is the interplanetary missions, I have yet to succeed on getting the object to the destination without running out of fuel and skidding right past to be lost. Would be a fun challenge to go rescue Jeb as I didn't think about it at the time, but due to its closer orbit the Moho late orbit adjustments are too inefficient in fuel and I burned it all there to readjust to make an encounter. What has me worried is that I had an encounter leaving from Kerbin but somewhere along the way it altered and I had to do adjustment burns. I am challenging myself to running multiple missions at once and colonize the system so I'm not accelerating time very much to make those journeys. So without a doubt sending craft to Eve and Moho are the hardest thing for me.

I think I might change from rendezvous to planet transfers. It's not like I can't rendezvous. It's one of my harder tasks sure, but I have done it enough now that it's not a huge issue for me. It's more bordering on tedious than anything else, the time it takes to get the orbits correct and wait for the tea leaves to say that my rockets are the right distance for a transfer burn, and yada yada.

But planetary transfers are something I have really done a lot of. The last time I tried, I was using a mod that pretty much crashed me before I got to another planet, so I can get intercepts, but I've never actually made it so far as I can remember. I use an online calculator thing to give me the angles between the planets that I should be aiming for, as well as the point in the planetary orbit that I should be leaving from. The part that really gets me is that the target is pretty small at such range, and I am not entirely comfortable leaving without a confirmed intercept. The map showing patched conics has spoiled me in this regard, and gone are the days where I might arrive at the Mun a bit early and use my engine for station keeping as I waited to be sucked up by it.

It is a matter of experience though. I haven't tried this very much at all, thus I am not yet confident in my competence at the task. I have no doubt I will get to other planets, I just expect I am going to run into problems.

Edited by Randox

Getting larger ships into Kerbin orbit. It's time Squad includes proper huge tanks and adapters so we can join 4 and 5 mainsails and emulate Saturn V and alike.

I can't do anything with current tanks. I get too many parts and it goes 5 fps at lowest settings. Usually something breaks and the rocket goes boom.

The hardest things for me are:

1. Resisting the urge to keep playing for "just 1 more burn / design tweak / until I land this" and go to bed.

2. Explaining my addiction to KSP to my flint-knapping buddies.

3. Trying to using a maneuver node system perfectly designed for short trips like to Mun but which is HIGHLY frustrating for long interplanetary flights. I really wish we could get a new interface for maneuver nodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.