Micrometeorites

AncientGammoner

Excellent! The game needs more little touches like this.

Suggestions: Vary the probability of the angle the hit comes from with the direction of travel of the craft. A hit originating from retrograde should be a bit less common than one from prograde. Could you add an effect like this if two crafts/parts bump together non-destructively with high enough speed?

Interesting mod, I would just add a little reality enhancement, that very little impacts happen on the retrograde side (except those mm that are near their eliptical orbit's periapsis so they have enough speed to produce impacts) and most frequent come from the prograde. So I think that you should adjust frequency according to this

I agree general frequency needs to be drastically lowered and i would add damage too, but very rare like there is a 1/100 chance that impact destroys a part that it hits, so that it really is a surprise, but enough that it gives you an idea that space is not the safest place and that there is always a chance for something to go wrong.

Something I had been looking at making for a mod of my own was creating leaks in fuel tanks under certain conditions. Basically it was a hidden engine part that looked like ruptured metal. It would be procedurally added to the craft at the point of impact, slowly burning fuel and producing a tiny amount of thrust. It would fit in well with this mod.

7038336-a-metal-hole-burst.jpg

First, I want to say this is pretty great as is. Second, all of the things on the following list are of unknown complexity and you might not have any inclination to attempt them, so please don't read this as a demanding list of necessary features, just ideas you might consider if you do decide to mess about with the mod. Most of these have already been mentioned on the thread, and for those, I just want to add my vote to those ideas.

(1) making it more likely on the prograde direction would be a great idea (though I don't know how much of a PITA this would be)

(2) giving it a percentage chance to damage (that is, impair the function of or cause the slow drain of resources held in) an impacted part until that part is EVA repaired (again, might be a huge PITA to code)

(3) giving "debris cloud" effects to debris already in orbit by increasing chance to hit within a certain radius

(4) having micrometeorite clusters which orbit Kerbol, intersecting Kerbin's orbit in much the same way the Perseid and Leonid meteor showers do earth's orbit. When near those clusters, the likelihood of an impact would be greater. Essentially like the "debris cloud" effect without being tied to a specific piece of debris.

I like the idea of having to engineer myself out of disasters, Apollo 13-style, so long as it doesn't happen every mission. I also like the idea of realistic engineering challenges, which is why I use Deadly Reentry and FAR, and am looking forward to using RemoteTech, IonCross, etc. For those who don't want that sort of challenge, that sort of mod or one like what we are proposing here doesn't have to be installed.

Edited by theonegalen
fix typos, add #4.

etc...

Well said.

My two pence would be that an immediate reduction in frequency (down from once every 5seconds or so) is needed from the getgo to make this mod viable.

Its a great idea from the OP, I'd really like this mod to stick around.

• 2 weeks later...

please make impacts happen about 10-30 times less frequently and push you between 2-5 times as much as they do currently. Maybe have one that hits 10 times as hard every once in a while (having it hit this hard might shatter solar panels or other weaker parts)

if you have SAS on you don't even notice the movement unless you're in physical timewarp, and the fact that they hit every 5 seconds even when you're landed on a planet is a bit annoying. Besides that, good looking effect and a great idea

• 4 weeks later...

I was trying to teach myself a bit of modding by attempting to lower the frequency of impacts. Went as far as PMing the author for permission to modify+distribute if he was no longer interested.

No response at this time. If I ever have any success with it, AND if I figure out the licensing, it'll turn up in the forum.

I was trying to teach myself a bit of modding by attempting to lower the frequency of impacts. Went as far as PMing the author for permission to modify+distribute if he was no longer interested.

No response at this time. If I ever have any success with it, AND if I figure out the licensing, it'll turn up in the forum.

Ha! I finally resolved to reinstall Visual Studio at home and start fiddling with plugins again. This mod has been in the back of my head to try working on for a while but if you'll try your hand at it, I'll instead go update my part sorting utility that I haven't touched for 2 or 3 KSP versions. Let me know if you get fed up and I might tackle it with you.

As NathanKell says, the posted license allows you to modify and redistribute as long as you attribute credit to the original author and use the same license on your derivative work. But it's still polite to ask for permission. :)

Ha! I finally resolved to reinstall Visual Studio at home and start fiddling with plugins again. This mod has been in the back of my head to try working on for a while but if you'll try your hand at it, I'll instead go update my part sorting utility that I haven't touched for 2 or 3 KSP versions. Let me know if you get fed up and I might tackle it with you.

As NathanKell says, the posted license allows you to modify and redistribute as long as you attribute credit to the original author and use the same license on your derivative work. But it's still polite to ask for permission. :)

Is it? Back when I was active in the Crysis modding community I always felt mildly annoyed of people asked me for permission to use something I'd openly stated was permissible for anyone to use as they willed. I always wondered if that was just me so I just silently bite my tongue and say sure have at it.

Is it? Back when I was active in the Crysis modding community I always felt mildly annoyed of people asked me for permission to use something I'd openly stated was permissible for anyone to use as they willed. I always wondered if that was just me so I just silently bite my tongue and say sure have at it.

I think with KSP the licensing is taken fairly seriously as far as I can tell from frequenting the fora.

I'll have a bash, I'll be in touch if I need any help...which is pretty likely :D

Since interest seems to have perked up I'll see how far I get in the next week or so.

***edit***

I was going to try and make micrometeorite impact occur at intervals of 1-5 hours, to make them a rare-but-not-too-rare occurence.

That timeline suit people? Any other suggestions for frequency? Just so I have something to aim for.

Cheers.

Edited by p1t1o

I was going to try and make micrometeorite impact occur at intervals of 1-5 hours, to make them a rare-but-not-too-rare occurence.

That timeline suit people? Any other suggestions for frequency? Just so I have something to aim for.

Cheers.

Any chance you might consider talking to guy who made Chatterer and find out how he/she made it so you can adjust the interval between events in game? Otherwise sounds good to me.

I think with KSP the licensing is taken fairly seriously as far as I can tell from frequenting the fora.

It's not a "taking seriously" thing, it's an "RTFM" thing. I too get annoyed when people email me questions that I already clearly answered in the docs/FAQ/whatever prominently. It's like, did you think I was kidding the first time or something? In the case of licensing, if I already gave you explicit, detailed, written permission to do something, it's just utterly bizarre to be writing me asking for permission again. Starwaster sounds like he's actually a lot nicer about it than me. When people write me asking permission to do things I already gave them permission to do, or asking questions I already answered in the FAQ clearly (it's clear they didn't misunderstand or were unclear, rather it's clear they didn't read it to begin with), I just delete the mail without reply. Why waste the time? If they didn't read what I already sent them, why send them even more text?

I know, I'm horrible. It's just, if you ever publish anything remotely popular, you'll see just how freaking annoying it can be to have your email/IM/whatever constantly clogged by crap from people who refuse to read. Seriously, don't write asking permission to do something when the author already gave you permission to do that. At a certain point you're just afraid to fire up your email for fear of the mass of crap you're going to have to wade through...

I've since learned to use a different email for stuff like that.

Edited by Gaius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.