Will they ever add mining?

LostElement

Yep, the developers confirmed resources some time ago (near 0.19 or 0.18). They gave us some screenshots of how stuff would look, but changed their plans to move onto career mode and RnD matters. I just hope when they do add resources, it's as cool and in depth as the flowchart described.

Even if they did add resources, what would you do with them beyond refueling? The Kethane mod already does this.

There's no infrastructure in place for allowing you to build something off world, or to use them for anything on Kerbin (since your budget is unlimited). Until either of those are in the game, I'm not sure what good adding them will be.

There's no infrastructure in place for allowing you to build something off world, or to use them for anything on Kerbin. Until either of those are in the game, I'm not sure what good adding them will be.

They're not going to add either of those features without adding the resources first. I'm sure you can realize why. :wink:

They're not going to add either of those features without adding the resources first. I'm sure you can realize why. :wink:

Is there an official post stating this?

I'm also tempted to think they would release them at the same time they release resources, which would make it quite a large and game changing update to do.

There's no need for an "official post" when common sense holds the answer.

How and why would they include a feature for orbital construction if they had not yet included the materials to build with? You can put resources in the game that don't have an immediate use - players can gather them until they do have a use - but if you include a construction feature without the needed materials, all it will "gather" is dust.

Clearer to you now?

You are right that it's possible that they'll be released concurrently, I just wanted to explain how that's not necessarily... necessary?

There's no need for an "official post" when common sense holds the answer.

How and why would they include a feature for orbital construction if they had not yet included the materials to build with? You can put resources in the game that don't have an immediate use - players can gather them until they do have a use - but if you include a construction feature without the needed materials, all it will "gather" is dust.

Clearer to you now?

You are right that it's possible that they'll be released concurrently, I just wanted to explain how that's not necessarily... necessary?

Adding resources will be a big update, and actually having them in game and being able to mine them is different. They may do resources bit by bit and allow you to restock things by launching them from Kerbin.

I think if they did add resources/mining and people weren't able to do anything with them there would be some disappointed people who would be vocal about it, hence it makes sense to be able to do something with them, even if that something is just to parachute it down to the KSC for building the next rockets with. (Possibly a feature with career mode).

They may not even add orbital construction.. though I think they'd be missing out if they didn't.

At any rate we're both speculating here, and either one of us may be right or wrong, hence my interest in any official word on this..

Back when they were discussing resources and it looked like they were only an update away... they said they were going to just get resources in and only have the re-fueling use for them initially. They would then add the other construction uses if they decided to add those at all... Then began the talk of a possible expansion. ...

Basic resources will probably be added. They'll be added after they have a lot of career mode done. How extensive the uses for those resources will be is still in limbo. The last comment we had on the subject was that off world construction might not happen.

Yes and one downside with resources is that they have to add it pretty much all at once. 0.22 you can scan for resources, 0.23 you can mine, 0.24 you can finally convert to fuel does not cut it.

Yes and one downside with resources is that they have to add it pretty much all at once. 0.22 you can scan for resources, 0.23 you can mine, 0.24 you can finally convert to fuel does not cut it.

Why exactly does that "not cut it?" I see no issue with doing it in increments like that other than a few impatient players complaining it's pointless in that update when it obviously wouldn't be as it's building to something.

I really don't think that would be the right way to handle it to be honest. Surely they could allow you to scan, mine, and convert in one update. What they could do, is add more options/ways to gain or convert the resources into something better per update.

I believe that .25 will be a turning point for KSP.

Can we agree that Career mode will be fleshed out in the next two updates (excluding .22; possible a chunk of .25 too)? In .15-.18 we had a major explosion of new features and eye candy (IVA, EVA, Planets/Moons, Docking, Probes, Electricity, Spaceplanes, re-done parts),

.25 will be the start of a new era of eye candy and features. I predict that .25-.30 will be a huge leap for KSP. (Revamped aerodynamics/drag, reentry heat, resources and mining, Enhanced IVA/EVA, Weather/clouds,

Cities) and Planetary upgrades (lava, geysers, revamp water?, craters, radiation). We could probably see 64-bit and multithreading in this period too.

This is entirely speculation nor do I think every single feature mentioned will be included in the .25- .30 period.

Edit: To answer your question .26 will have resources.

Mining part is a must, as for every real space program is the main aim. They show us a really cool scheme of a new resources system and the possibilities to gather mine.

So official mining-gathering parts should be added asap.

Inflatable modules are a must too.

Its becoming silly and stupid to not have them in the core.

. I think squad is working more in limiting the effects of a new realese than working on the realese itself. I mean you have to broke some eggs, breaking saves should be not a limitation to the game progress.

I thing they should be added as an expansion/dlc. There I said it.

You mean take something that was meant to be in the core of the game and turn it into something to make money, who do you think they are EA?. anyway let's not drag this into a discussion about wether or not it should be dlc, the question was when you think it will be added.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.