[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Hello

Where can I get the reduced textures pack? The link in the first post does not work.

Thank you!

You don't use texture packs anymore. Just use active texture management agressive. That will do it fine. Unless you're talking about the squad debloat. Which is hard to find. I could post my version to dropbox if that's allowed.

How do I install this mod? Im running on mac, and i dragged and dropped the KW Parts folder into the KSP/Gamedata/parts folder. The fairings arent showing up as well as some other things. Appreciate any help

You don't use texture packs anymore. Just use active texture management agressive. That will do it fine. Unless you're talking about the squad debloat. Which is hard to find. I could post my version to dropbox if that's allowed.

Squad debloat: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51361-0-23-Squad-Texture-Reduction-Pack-B9-and-KW-Packs-also?p=1206843&viewfull=1#post1206843

Balance-wise, I have to wonder about the MK1 RCS Pod. It weighs 16 times more than a normal RCS block, yet only outputs 3 times the thrust. I believe reducing the weight from 0.8 to something like 0.25 or 0.3 would make sense.

I've been playing around with KW Rocketry fairings and I enjoy the idea of using them to create nicer looking rockets (I haven't gone to the point of using FAR yet).

I'm in the process of building a microwave relay network (via KSP Interstellar) but I'm running into problems using the expanded 3.75m fairing (the largest KW Rocketry has to offer).

While the nose cone goes on fine, the fairing walls do not go on (they turn red to show collision with something else). From what I can see though, the microwave transceiver should fit (Scott Manley has several videos where the transceiver fits fine into an expanded 3.75m fairing (

)).

Here are some images

http://imgur.com/a/GNPgM/layout/blog

These sorts of things can be finicky sometimes but usually can be "tricked" into working with some fiddling.

Try, for example, constructing the fairings first and then putting the transceiver inside, or failing that, try taking the fairings off by grabbing one of the nose pieces and putting it to one side, attaching the transceiver to the base and then re-applying the fairing.

You could nerf Vesta a little. It is always better then the little lv-909 engine. More delta v and thrust, for almost the same weight.

It's also over twice the height. The LV-909 is perfect for little landers - the LT-1 landing legs (the medium ones) don't reach beyond it which means using the LT-2 (the big heavy ones) which means any gain in dV or TWR you get from using it is lost carting heavy landing gear around.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If you're not interested in landing, it's still over twice the height which makes upper stages of rockets more unwieldy.

EDIT: regarding TWR - yes, the Vesta has a higher TWR than the 909 but neither can really be used on high gravity bodies. If they had enough fuel to reach orbit, they wouldn't be strong enough to lift it (actually, I just did a test and both could SSTO on Kerbin, but the Vesta requires more fuel and is a heavier and larger rocket). So they're both limited to lower gravity worlds which means the TWR doesn't really matter as the orbital velocity isn't going to be higher than 1000 m/s or so and both engines have enough dV in them to manage that. The 909 just does it in a more compact fashion than the Vesta.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

What I've been doing is attaching just one side's nose cone and wall fairings first. Then, I try clicking on it and enabling symmetry mode, to no avail (2 of the 3 sides appear to have collisions).

I've been getting around this by alt + clicking the one-sided complete fairing (to duplicate it), and then using shift + Q/E to rotate the other thirds of the fairings until they fit (though it's quite troublesome to do so).

Was just wondering if there was a better way to do this.

I have actually nerfed the Vesta in my WIP version to bring TWR/ISP more inline with how everything else is balanced. Just as an FYI.

Is that an update in development I see? I wonder what we'll get.

Out of curiosity, what exactly did you do to it? In my own personal tweak, I found that increasing its mass to 1.0 while leaving everything else the same produced an engine that fit nicely into Stupid_Chris' curve for balanced engines while still being very capable. In fact, it actually wound up being one of my go-to rocket engines for early game career mode; it gets unlocked early, the high efficiency is nice, and its lower thrust compared to the LV-T series engines helps prevent excessive acceleration on lighter rockets (which can be a problem, given that I'm using DRE / FAR).

Is that an update in development I see? I wonder what we'll get.

Out of curiosity, what exactly did you do to it? In my own personal tweak, I found that increasing its mass to 1.0 while leaving everything else the same produced an engine that fit nicely into Stupid_Chris' curve for balanced engines while still being very capable. In fact, it actually wound up being one of my go-to rocket engines for early game career mode; it gets unlocked early, the high efficiency is nice, and its lower thrust compared to the LV-T series engines helps prevent excessive acceleration on lighter rockets (which can be a problem, given that I'm using DRE / FAR).

Off the top of my head, I'm going to say I increased the mass to 0.75, and lowered thrust to 90 and left the ISPs the same.

First I'd like to say that I've been playing with this mod for about six months now and have loved every moment of it. Thanks for the larger variety of parts.

Maybe I just didn't read far enough back, or maybe my skimming and searching simply missed, but since the last ksp update the engine shrouds have disappeared making for some awkward looking stacks. Is there a fix for this I simply missed, or were they removed for a reason?

First I'd like to say that I've been playing with this mod for about six months now and have loved every moment of it. Thanks for the larger variety of parts.

Maybe I just didn't read far enough back, or maybe my skimming and searching simply missed, but since the last ksp update the engine shrouds have disappeared making for some awkward looking stacks. Is there a fix for this I simply missed, or were they removed for a reason?

You probably installed the NoAutoShroudConfigs in the Extras folder. Try deleting your copy of the mod and re-install it ignoring the Extras folder completely.

do need the kw texture reduction pack... yeah yeah yeah yeah... atm , wouldnt be here if atm wasnt at maximum capacity to save space

You can configure ATM to more aggressively compress certain directories. This, for example, is an across the board 25% downscale of KWRocketry

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = KWRocketry
enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
KWRocketry/.*
{
scale = 4
}
}
}

Copy-paste this into a plain text file, save it as GameData/BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/KWRocketry.cfg

do need the kw texture reduction pack... yeah yeah yeah yeah... atm , wouldnt be here if atm wasnt at maximum capacity to save space

type this in google

modpart-kw-rocketry-texture-reduction-pack

unfortunetly i cant give you direct link due to forum rules! thanks for purging spaceport squad.

its not allowing me to get a lot of the stuff in this mod i get some but not all like fairings and some rockets do i have to get those separate or something?

You most likely have it installed in an incorrect directory. Your GameData folder should look like this:

GameData/
KWRocketry/
Parts/
Aero/
Control/
Structural/

Anything else will result in missing or broken parts.