What would happen to this community if pewdiepie played KSP?

notfruit

Precisely.

We're still around folks, and we're not going to let the KSP forums sink down. If this ever happens (which is very unlikely, KSP doesn't fit Pewdiepie's channel at all) and we get a ton of new users, we'll be doing our best to keep the community together. Though it is most likely those users would not stick around for too long, KSP is not a game for everyone and the learning curve is most likely not suited for the common Pewdiepie fan.

I am Odin, and I approve of this response.

I don't think we'd be terribly short-handed, as it takes time for word to spread and the forum has automatic features that would kick in to absorb most of the influx to a place where only moderators could even see it.

We would then pick out the good postings and let the decent users through, while any troublemakers would be filtered out before you even saw them posting.

Thing about multiplayer threads though: One guy started up one recently, but it hasn't been locked or mentioned as 'just another MP discussion thread' (though it almost did. Luckily, the posters sorted it out on their own rather quickly.). Why? Because the guy who opened the thread has actual footage of a functioning, self made multiplayer plugin. Now, what does this have to do with 'Invasion of the *insert famous MC Youtuber here* fanbase'? Well, a seemingly goal-less, single player, actually-useing-your-brain game seems rather uninteresting to the average gamer, even if it has weapon mods. That is, until, you add multiplayer into the mix. Now, you can use those weapons against an intelligent and reactive opponent. Yes, you could argue that not many are smart enough/committed enough to try and do a space battle with actual physics at play. But it doesn't require a whole lot of brain power to design a tank, ship, or missle. And, with only a little bit more knowledge (that anyone can obtain/access), one can build a rather decent fighter jet (of course, helicopters are another story. Unless you have a craft file for one.). Now, I'm not saying MP is a bad thing. I know almost everyone would love to do space battles/missions with their friends. But, once this mod gets going as a fully functioning plugin, THEN I would brace for the flood of newbies (basically, a competent noob) on the forums and the flood of 'Kerbals at War' videos on youtube.

I would leave the community. It's a bit big for my liking, and if it gets as big as it might with his subs, we'd have over 100 mods, threads being on page 2 within hours of creation, and no more nice formality and those users (I'm talking to you, Mr. Temporal Ambassador and whoever has the Doctor Who Avatar) that you find on most interesting pages. On other forums, I've seen threads moved, no post from said mod, nor PM. Not only that, but I'd wager Squad's servers wouldn't last 10 hours from him posting said video.

I could have sworn that pewdiepie did do a KSP video at some time in the past, several months ago... Or maybe I'm just misremembering him as another LPer with a similar reputation.

Either way, the forum has weathered this sort of attention before, and I'm fully convinced it shall again. The sorts of people who the doomsayers are worried about tend to have short attention spans and little regard for places with fairly strict moderation, and will move on to the next shiny object that catches their attention. The ones who really are interested will settle in, learn the proper etiquette, and integrate seamlessly.

Also, one final note: I was one of the people introduced to KSP through kurtjmac's videos, and I remember when people were afraid that his fans getting interested in the game were going to ruin it forever. (To anyone who might have been throwing those accusations around back then: I'm still slightly miffed about that.)

Myself I am here from FARK. Not the nicest crowd on the internet, you are always sure to find some who will disagree with anything you say, troll you or just plain be insulting. They DO have a geek tab though which is where I spend most of my time and which now references small green kerbals and the game often enough to make people who have an interest informed.

Which I guess is my point, only the interested will come here and simply to be interested in this game implies a certain personality type who can design their flight and then fly their design. The ones that cannot will soon get bored.

Thing about multiplayer threads though: One guy started up one recently, but it hasn't been locked or mentioned as 'just another MP discussion thread' (though it almost did. Luckily, the posters sorted it out on their own rather quickly.). Why? Because the guy who opened the thread has actual footage of a functioning, self made multiplayer plugin. Now, what does this have to do with 'Invasion of the *insert famous MC Youtuber here* fanbase'? Well, a seemingly goal-less, single player, actually-useing-your-brain game seems rather uninteresting to the average gamer, even if it has weapon mods. That is, until, you add multiplayer into the mix. Now, you can use those weapons against an intelligent and reactive opponent. Yes, you could argue that not many are smart enough/committed enough to try and do a space battle with actual physics at play. But it doesn't require a whole lot of brain power to design a tank, ship, or missle. And, with only a little bit more knowledge (that anyone can obtain/access), one can build a rather decent fighter jet (of course, helicopters are another story. Unless you have a craft file for one.). Now, I'm not saying MP is a bad thing. I know almost everyone would love to do space battles/missions with their friends. But, once this mod gets going as a fully functioning plugin, THEN I would brace for the flood of newbies (basically, a competent noob) on the forums and the flood of 'Kerbals at War' videos on youtube.

Got a link for the multiplayer thing? (even just a video) I have a few computers sat about that I could be launching/building stuff with whilst doing long burns (instead of washing up, not sure it`s a good thing)...

I've never really been into forums. This has been the first one I've genuinely liked and I don't want that to get ruined.

I must agree with this.I generally find forums to not be great places except this one. I have noticed a crowd that likes to come into threads about mods and hassle people about their mod usage (looking at you MJ) or into threads showcasing modded craft and complain that they are not stock or post their own craft but that seems as bad as it gets (which is hardly bad at all really, much better than other forums).

I hope then MechJeb and all other Autopilot mods would switch to a IQ-based-subscription... this would prevent them from getting into space

They sort of already are. If you can`t get into space but can build a ship that mechjeb can get into space that is a start and much harder than the first challengs in most games. I can go anywhere but I am having real trouble making a laythe SSTO kethane miner that can get back into orbit with enough spare Dv to go to Val and refuel (if I can do that I can get home)

Edited by John FX

Here's what i think will happen

keep in mind i haven't read any of the other comments so this might be done already.

(day 1) Probably about 500,000 new sales of Kerbal space program (and about 2.5 million copies pirated)

(day 1-7) About 100,000 new people to the forum, causing moderators to work longer hours, and moderate more threads/users.

(day 7-45) Squad is forced to hire more moderators so the current ones (like stupid_chris and Leonov) don't die of over-working syndrome.

(day 20-75) the amount of new people would flood the current servers, causing lots of down time migrating to new servers.

(day 50) the band of survivors of people here before he played gets smaller and small, as more and more are pushed out because of all the immature kids posting troll-ish comments.

(day 80-120)2 some people who are pewdiepie haters realize that there is a large pewdiepie fanbase here, and start flaming and trolling this forum,

(day 150) down to about 500 original people, and more and more people keep joining.

(day 200) Anarchy, the forums are overrun, and the moderators become irrelevant

(day 500) Squad gives up on the forums, and walk away.

(day 501) Squad makes their own new forums, with blackjack, and hookers.

(day 502) Squad forgets the blackjack and hookers.

A summary of the thread:

• We are superior to PewDiePie fans.
  • If PewDiePie makes a video about KSP, the forums will instantly be overrun with unpleasant people.
  • Orbiter fans are superior because they play Orbiter.
  • I dare not mingle with the *shudders* unintellectual PewDiePie fans, and will leave KSP forever if he makes a video of it.

What will happen is more people will see that KSP is interesting, and join the forums, and we hence have a bigger community with an even greater range of ideas and thoughts.

A summary of the thread:

• We are superior to PewDiePie fans.
  • If PewDiePie makes a video about KSP, the forums will instantly be overrun with unpleasant people.
  • Orbiter fans are superior because they play Orbiter.
  • I dare not mingle with the *shudders* unintellectual PewDiePie fans, and will leave KSP forever if he makes a video of it.

What will happen is more people will see that KSP is interesting, and join the forums, and we hence have a bigger community with an even greater range of ideas and thoughts.

so it's a win/lose/lose/lose scenario.

I thought the same thing would happen with Markiplier, i love the guy, but you have to admit, alot of his fans are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

But anyway, just goes to show that the true fans will always survive.

As bad as the forums may get one day, hopefully it will never be bad as the days around when 0.10 was out. There were no rules against reaction images and memes, causing a lot of threads to be filled with giant images of rage faces and ponies. It was horrible. On the plus side, we didn't have a swear filter back then. I miss my cuss words. :(

Well, the game's learning curve is very unforgiving (I remember spending 3 hours on one of my first missions only to crash)

I doubt pewdiepie would even play for that long, and even if he did, his viewers would probably be too impatient to watch the videos :P

ponies? what's wrong with ponies

Considering teenage guys and (supposedly) mature men love a pony themed show for toddler age girls that should have been canceled years ago, I'd say that everything about them is wrong.

Also I'm trusting that you know which ponies I'm talking about (not the real world animal).