A planet maker mod

braininator

I am currently attempting to produce a mod that allows a user to make their own planet. Using my code+ some part of hyperedit that is adapted(I got permission), it will copy an existing planet, and then adapt the copy to whatever purpose the user sees fit. It is still early in the works, and I have nothing to actually show yet, but I have a plan on how to code it, and what I need.

The reason I am posting this now is that I have some questions that I need answering for a planned feature. I am trying to find the part of the planet-object that has the value for the planet mesh, (so the user can replace the stock mesh if desired.), does anyone know what the key is, that I can reassign it to what I chose? Does anyone know also know the key for the planet texture?

Thank you for your help,

braininator

The info you are looking for is embedded within the game root code. The only way to access it is to decompile the game, which is against the EULA. Basically, you can secretly break EULA and get what you need, or you can't really make this work. Why? because Squad, despite the modding community, even the general community, requesting a planet API, we have nothing. Right now, there is no 100% legal way to do it. It can be done, but you have to break some rules to do it.

The info you are looking for is embedded within the game root code. The only way to access it is to decompile the game, which is against the EULA. Basically, you can secretly break EULA and get what you need, or you can't really make this work. Why? because Squad, despite the modding community, even the general community, requesting a planet API, we have nothing. Right now, there is no 100% legal way to do it. It can be done, but you have to break some rules to do it.

Hang on just a minute.

There's a whole lot about the PQS system that's accessible in public members. I was explaining the other day why planet mods don't exist, and when I got to explaining that some parts were private members and locked down, someone asked "like what?" I have to admit I didn't have an answer. I've played around with the PQS meshes before, although I haven't gone and actually changed the terrain generation parameters.

If we're going to have a discussion on planet modding, let's establish exactly what we aren't able to do.

I apologize for sparking any controversy this has produced, that Was not my intention. I have already mentioned I am using Hyper-edit code as inspiration, and even using some of it-edited of course. I am getting the variables I am currently using from there. As no one has managed to use that code to copy planets before, I am unsure of whether this is going to work or not since I need to do more groundwork as far as the program goes, to be able to actually test it in game. Though I expect that by the end of this weekend, I will know whether my program is actually going to work.

Hang on just a minute.

There's a whole lot about the PQS system that's accessible in public members. I was explaining the other day why planet mods don't exist, and when I got to explaining that some parts were private members and locked down, someone asked "like what?" I have to admit I didn't have an answer. I've played around with the PQS meshes before, although I haven't gone and actually changed the terrain generation parameters.

If we're going to have a discussion on planet modding, let's establish exactly what we aren't able to do.

I know the PQS system is accessable. Heck, as I learn the C# I look at that for some mod possibilities. I'm pretty sure things like the terrain meshes are locked down, correct? The textures . . . . can they be replaced? I know they can be overridden (just look at universe replacer). I'll need to go take a look at the universe replacer code to see if I can learn some more about waht we can and can't get. I know there are problems with making new planets in the same way Squad does so I'll need to figure out which assets are locked.

braininator, even if you do not find a legal way to insert new planets into the game, there is still a great opportunity to bring something new and awesome into KSP!

And here I am talking about the Lagrangian points! Of course, we all know that the correct emulation and representation of libration points in the game impossible and unnecessary for the sake of playability. But you can just create the SOI with a certain radius and very low gravity in desired points on synchronous orbits. And it does not need to break the code of the game, because the planet mesh is not needed here!

Thus it will be possible to build stations at Lagrangian points, as I'm sure many of us have been dreaming! ^_^

Edited by ZobrAA

Why? because Squad, despite the modding community, even the general community, requesting a planet API, we have nothing.

I suspect the reason we have nothing is because Squad hasn't nailed down exactly how they want it to work. The functionality actually changed between 0.20 and 0.21, breaking at least one project that had been successfully adding planets under the 0.20 code. They can't really give us a planet API until they nail it down internally themselves.

I suspect the reason we have nothing is because Squad hasn't nailed down exactly how they want it to work. The functionality actually changed between 0.20 and 0.21, breaking at least one project that had been successfully adding planets under the 0.20 code. They can't really give us a planet API until they nail it down internally themselves.

They've broken plenty of other APIs with updates; why keep this one separate?

They've broken plenty of other APIs with updates; why keep this one separate?

My guess would be, it's probably an embarrassing hack-job at the moment... that's what "not ready for public consumption" usually means when I say it. :blush:

• 1 year later...
Why dont you make it so that it adds a mesh that you make? then you can just add the option to add custom textures? No? that way it will be legal, but harder. Your choice

you do realize the last activity in this thread is 2 years old??:wink:

• 10 months later...

As has been pointed out, this is an ancient thread, and almost certainly no longer relevant (not only has KSP been through multiple revisions since then, but the OP hasn't even logged on to the forums in nearly a year).

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.