[PLUGIN][ALPHA-10] City Lights and Clouds on Kerbin/Others

rbray89

I just wanted to drop by for a quick update:

I have not uploaded the code yet, that will likely be later today though.

For the next update (hopefully today):

I figured out the "buttcrack" issue as it has come to be known. It was caused by the shader and the rim diffusion... still don't know why, but I switched to another rim detection mechanism and it is gone now.

Moved to layers 2 & 3. No more issues with missing trajectories. Hooray!

I figured out a good way to stop the overlays popping up over nearby bodies. This will come in the next update.

Still looking into how to fix the flare overlay, though it should be MUCH less noticeable with the next update.

Soon (Today-Next couple days):

The UV polar mapping is still on my plate. Expect a fix within the next couple days.

Cloud lighting, specifically how dark they are. I think it is a lighting issue. I will attempt to resolve this soon.

Edited by rbray89

Just curious. Does anyone use this mod with Universe Replacer as well? If so, what kind of performance drop are you seeing? I only use skybox textures with Universe Replacer, so I'm hopeful that I've got some spare memory for this.

This looks really great, but I'm confused. So.. the textures do not come with the download you provided in the OP? You say check mipmaps for textures... What is that?

The textures for Kerbin are there... You might want to wait for my new build later today. Should fix some issues people have reported. mipmaps are a way for textures to scale detail at distances to avoid flicker... the "Try" I mention is for me to try to get it to work :)

Just curious. Does anyone use this mod with Universe Replacer as well? If so, what kind of performance drop are you seeing? I only use skybox textures with Universe Replacer, so I'm hopeful that I've got some spare memory for this.

Lots of people here have used it with Universe Replacer without any issues. The textures aren't that big, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Ah ok. Ty I will wait. So how about clouds for Eve or Laythe? Sorry if that's been covered.

the user Lack has posted a package of textures and config files to enhance the build, providing clouds for Duna, Eve, and Jool.

On that note: Lack, do I have your permission to bundle your config changes and textures into the build?

the user Lack has posted a package of textures and config files to enhance the build, providing clouds for Duna, Eve, and Jool.

On that note: Lack, do I have your permission to bundle your config changes and textures into the build?

Yeah, that's fine by me.

The textures for Kerbin are there... You might want to wait for my new build later today. Should fix some issues people have reported. mipmaps are a way for textures to scale detail at distances to avoid flicker... the "Try" I mention is for me to try to get it to work :)

If you use TGA or MBM format instead of PNG, KSP/Unity creates a mipmap chain for you, so that should be "free" if you're using default resource handling and texture sampling in the shaders.

I had an idea, could this mod be used to simulate the Aurora Borealis and could the plugin be setup to randomly fade the Aurora's lights off between events?

Well... Yes... Though right now I'm focusing on perfecting clouds. I'll add it to the possible list.

Just took it for a spin. Looks great during liftoff, in LKO (I scooted through a few orbits right around 71k) and higher (around 150-200k). It's amazing how much more Kerbin looks like a PLANET now.

Updated to Alpha-9 because I still didn't like quite how the clouds looked. Much Better now, and actually uses alpha so color in textures can be used.

I did not delete the last build I had installed (7) and now my clouds are all flickering:

Btw if its a bug, dont eliminate it fully, adapt it and throw some lightning textures on em instead ;)

Edited by Lucchese

Also, is it possible for me to change the amount of clouds around Duna in the config?

Yes, I changed it by replacing the eve cloud textures to "kerbin2" in the config. This gives it a nice Mars-like cirrus cloud effect.

I also changed them to a cream color with:

r = 0.965

g = 0.882

b = 0.627

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.