[PLUGIN][ALPHA-10] City Lights and Clouds on Kerbin/Others

rbray89

Oh Man! I love how Jool looks! Reminds me of Jupiter.

With any luck, the next release should fix how the clouds look from a distance, and it will be tweakable to get the cut-off just right.

It actually uses (some now fairly heavily edited) pictures of Jupiter from Cassini. Same sort of thing with Eve's clouds, which were made using pictures of Venus.

So will that be fixing the problems with the z-stacking then? If so, that's excellent news.

It actually uses (some now fairly heavily edited) pictures of Jupiter from Cassini. Same sort of thing with Eve's clouds, which were made using pictures of Venus.

So will that be fixing the problems with the z-stacking then? If so, that's excellent news.

Yes, the new camera method should fix it as soon as I can figure out some new problems.

Lack, I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your config files for those of us who are less technically inclined?

Providing it's alright by rbray, then no problem. There's still a number of issues when you zoom out and I'm still getting an odd seam [image], but it sounds like the next update should help.

Yes, the new camera method should fix it as soon as I can figure out some new problems.

Sounds good, you've done some excellent work here already.

Providing it's alright by rbray, then no problem. There's still a number of issues when you zoom out and I'm still getting an odd seam [image], but it sounds like the next update should help.

I have no problems with it. Everything is under an MIT license.

You asked back somewhere in the past 20 pages if there was anything else people could want. I thought of something:

Lightning! Only at night and only where there are clouds, and it'd have to be localized to look realistic. So you could see 10 or so in the same area as you orbit overhead, but you won't see any anywhere else.

Lightning! Only at night and only where there are clouds...

This. This is a thing that must be made to happen.

It's amazing how much mods like this and Chatterer that don't make a bit of difference to gameplay add so much life to the universe. I was looking at some screenshots prior to this mod, and Kerbin looked so wrong. I would not be happy playing without this.

Could a mod like this be used to show a satellite's reflection that could be seen from the ground?

For example, the site below gives you the times you can see the ISS in evenings/mornings where it is overhead, dark, and it reflects light from the sun:

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

No idea if this is within the capabilities of this mod, but it would be a neat addition.

You asked back somewhere in the past 20 pages if there was anything else people could want. I thought of something:

Lightning! Only at night and only where there are clouds, and it'd have to be localized to look realistic. So you could see 10 or so in the same area as you orbit overhead, but you won't see any anywhere else.

Could a mod like this be used to show a satellite's reflection that could be seen from the ground?

For example, the site below gives you the times you can see the ISS in evenings/mornings where it is overhead, dark, and it reflects light from the sun:

No idea if this is within the capabilities of this mod, but it would be a neat addition.

Both of these would be awesome. +1

That could be difficult, but I'll give it some thought.

I will have to look into this. Weather is something I would like to at least try to simulate.

You throw the BoulderCo folder into GameData.

As easy as that.

Thanks!

I installed, but the game became weird, the crafts in orbit of Kerbin became transparent, and when I try to get to vehicle Assembly Building, the game crashes.

Recompiled from your latest commit and tried on Earthbin. Looks like the scaling is going wrong somehow.

Any ideas? I looked and it looks like you pull from a scale factor that should be correct (I correct it at the Main Menu)...

JCKFmVjl.png

af3zoYFl.png

Looks like the scale is correct, but that the position is not. The Camera is setup in the main menu, so there could be some problems there if you are modifying the scale camera.

Recompiled from your latest commit and tried on Earthbin. Looks like the scaling is going wrong somehow.

Any ideas? I looked and it looks like you pull from a scale factor that should be correct (I correct it at the Main Menu)...

JCKFmVjl.png

af3zoYFl.png

Ah... nevermind. It looks like it may be a layer issue. Only shows up in the tracking station view though.

Hmm... This is becoming trickier than I thought it would be...

So I have been investigating into how KSP renders things...

KSP uses multiple cameras with different rendering priorities to show things on-screen. The reason the city lights would fade into view when on layer 10, is because the camera that renders the actual terrain and Space Center is rendered ON TOP of this layer, and as you get farther away, it lowers the alpha to eventually make it visible.

I tried to render the clouds and lights on-top of this camera render, but I'm running into the issue of the clouds and lights rendering on top of the spacecraft (as that is the camera being used). A possibility would be to render the craft above the clouds and lights again, but then the issue would be that they would always render above KSP, even if it were supposed to be out of view behind it. If I tried to render PSQCity objects with the new camera, they would always be above the cloud layer!

Ugh... So I should be able to fix the Z-Clipping, but the lights and clouds will still not show up until you are ~75km in the air unless I can figure out a way to add them to the patch of terrain the craft is above. Much more complex than I initially suspected this would be.

A favor: Could you replace radius, in the config file, with km height offset, and then calculate the actual radius ingame? If you needed the scalar, it'd be as (body.radius + offset * 1000) / body.radius

Then this could be just "dropped in" to work with real-size Kerbin, rather than having to change the radii to 1.00038 and 1.00076.

Regarding the layer issue and rescaling--is that related to the render order post you made directly afterwards, or a different layer problem? I wouldn't have thought render order would change the _scaling_ of the clouds...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.