[PLUGIN][ALPHA-10] City Lights and Clouds on Kerbin/Others

rbray89

My idea was to add dots. Lots of dots, as looking at pictures from orbit, or even just from a look out spot near my home, you see lots of dots, such as lights from buildings.

But I'm not that satisfied with how it turned out. May try something similar another time.

But, have some screenshots, see what you think.

(Images linked to larger size.)

3rshl3y.png

g6pR5b0.png

Too pixel-y? To bright? What you do reckon?

Yeah, and it is at a point that feels more solid to me, and does almost everything I initially wanted. Following you? hmmm... I can't think of why that might happen.

Another thing I noticed, is that when you zoom in from IVA view, is the lights and clouds don't zoom with the planet, giving a disconcerting effect. Could be related. But I'm still using the previous version, will update later.

What happens:

yiXyYcc.png

Here's a shot from yesterday's error.

Ei9MFZM.png

Those cities weren't floating up the mountain before.

Oh! One more thing.

Some of my clouds are turning up black. May be an issue on my end though.

Edited by Tw1

My idea was to add dots. Lots of dots, as looking at pictures from orbit, or even just from a look out spot near my home, you see lots of dots, such as lights from buildings.

But I'm not that satisfied with how it turned out. May try something similar another time.

But, have some screenshots, see what you think.

(Images linked to larger size.)

3rshl3y.png

g6pR5b0.png

Another thing I noticed, is that when you zoom in from IVA view, is the lights and clouds don't zoom with the planet, giving a disconcerting effect. Could be related. But I'm still using the previous version, will update later.

You aren't the first to mention issues with IVA... I tried it out yesterday with Beta-1 and couldn't see any problems, so I'll have to look at it again in more depth.

I really like the concept of tiny lights added in. Maybe I could add another texture layer where it would be further tiled to add "high-res" dots?

I really like the concept of tiny lights added in. Maybe I could add another texture layer where it would be further tiled to add "high-res" dots?

So that it's still a small texture, but gets a higher res effect? Maybe. Having the dots makes the place seem more populated, though you can only really make out the individual lights when you're quite low, so if you eventually have town buildings with emissive textures, you won't be missing much higher up.

But that may be more expensive in terms of memory use, when clever use of the dots could get a similar effect, at least when flying.

Not so good when you're on the ground.

First I reckon it's worth having another go with just the one texture, with bigger dots this time. Then if that doesn't do the trick an extra layer could well be the way to go.

A cool thing about this type of mod is the way you can stirp away bits you don't want, so making one shouldn't hurt.

I got a pretty cool pic of the IVA problem.

0LiJN7o.png

It doesn't happen after you reach a certain height. Something to do with the camera for rendering planets when you're near?

Edited by Tw1

So that it's still a small texture, but gets a higher res effect? Maybe. Having the dots makes the place seem more populated, though you can only really make out the individual lights when you're quite low, so if you eventually have town buildings with emissive textures, you won't be missing much higher up.

But that may be more expensive in terms of memory use, when clever use of the dots could get a similar effect, at least when flying.

Not so good when you're on the ground.

First I reckon it's worth having another go with just the one texture, with bigger dots this time. Then if that doesn't do the trick an extra layer could well be the way to go.

A cool thing about this type of mod is the way you can stirp away bits you don't want, so making one shouldn't hurt.

I got a pretty cool pic of the IVA problem.

0LiJN7o.png

It doesn't happen after you reach a certain height. Something to do with the camera for rendering planets when you're near?

Yeah, after the camera becomes so far away from the body you are orbiting, the overlays are shoved onto layer 10 and rendered with the planetary cam. I think this is occurring due to a mismatch between the planetary cam and my camera. Probably Field of View.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nick, are you using the latest BETA version of the mod? This is an old thread from when the mod was in Alpha.

Rbray, maybe you should ask for this thread to be locked, with a pointer to the newer thread?

I was definitely considering it...

Nick, are you using the latest BETA version of the mod? This is an old thread from when the mod was in Alpha.

Rbray, maybe you should ask for this thread to be locked, with a pointer to the newer thread?

Oh I thought this was the main page, thanks.

• 6 years later...
On 10/10/2013 at 7:26 PM, Superfluous J said:

Okay I think the map is pretty close to done. Here it is in a reasonable size, black background:

night_2.jpg

I'd love to see it in-game. (hint hint) :) What format/size/etc would you like?

Digging way back. Does anyone know if this the official map of city lights in EVE? I can't seem to open the .dds file that comes with the mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.