IVA camera shake

I think that it would be a very cool addition to immerse players in the game if the audio effects were improved and camera shake was added in IVA.

In real life rocket engines can produce noise and vibrations which are enough to justify camera shaking during all burns correlated to the amount of thrust produced. I think that this would add immersion and immediacy to gameplay which just doesn't exist now.

KSP already has some stunning visuals, I've never seen a game quite like it but I have to say that to do it justice audio and corresponding effects have to be developed so that players are thrown into the game rather than being spectators

Thanks

Halsfury

• 2 months later...

Was going to make this suggestion, so let me just bump this thread.

Especially with mods like RasterPropMonitor that encourage missions controlled entirely from IVA view, a camera shake (or rather head shake) effect would be great.

I think there should be two types of shake; acceleration and vibration.

They should be self-explanatory, but acceleration shake would occur when the vehicle accelerates in a certain direction and the camera would "move" in the opposite direction. For example, if you accelerate forward, the camera would slowly (or quickly) move backward to simulate the effect of the acceleration on the Kerbal. Similarly for lateral acceleration.

Vibration shake would occur during events like launch and re-entry and would obviously just violently shake the camera around. Maybe a bit less intense than real life though, because from watching videos and hearing the experiences of astronauts, that level of shake might be a bit too extreme.

Obviously there would be an option to disable it.

Especially with mods like RasterPropMonitor that encourage missions controlled entirely from IVA view, a camera shake (or rather head shake) effect would be great.

I'm not sure about the camera shake, because the camera is wired to somewhere that seems to me like it's a kerbal model bone. That is, I'm not sure I can move it without the regular camera control snapping it back immediately regardless of where I move it. (I can edit it's other parameters, like FOV and maximum pitch and rotation, and version 0.13 does that.) If anyone is up to helping with the math determining just how far should the camera move when, I might try anyway.

But I do want to have G-LOC blackgreenout as part of RPM and eventually I will. :)

• 1 month later...

Do me a favor: Keep your eye trained on this improvised little target here ( O ) and then jiggle your head around. Your neck and eyes have thousands of years of design behind them to keep your vision trained and steady when being knocked around, like when running or in a shaking seat. You feel the shake, but your vision doesn't slide around as much as you might think.

So a little visual shaking would be fairly realistic without screwing us over too much. I honestly like this, as it would make cinematic videos much prettier. And with an autopilot, I could appreciate the beauty of the launch from within the flight area.

I think it would be really emmersive. It could be induced when in iva when:

Nearing a stall (integrated with FAR?)

During rocket liftoff

When travelling through clouds (integrated with visual enhancements? and the new volumetric clouds that are being worked on)

and During reentry (I think this would be the most appropriate/realistic)

• 1 month later...

I think the only reason why I don't do alot of IVA now even though I have RPM is cause I don't experience the rocket unlike watching it go supersonic from the outside. What I need is that same feeling of speed and stress inside, having it shake a bit, improved light-effects from the windows, loud alarms if things go wrong, emergency lights, ...

And if possible I would like instruments breaking when the cockpit gets overheated, ...

Do me a favor: Keep your eye trained on this improvised little target here ( O ) and then jiggle your head around.

Granted, it's a good point; but you have to remember that it's not just one's head that's shaking, it would be the rocket too. For example, try reading a text on your phone while shaking it; you can do it, but it's slightly more challenging. I think this is a great idea, good for immersion; and so long as it is optional, how can you say no?

I'm ok with something like this so long as there is an option to turn it off globally in the settings.cfg. Things like camera shake, FOV changes & such ilk are bad things for folks like myself that are prone to motion sickness problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.