Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I need some help with this GUI please. It says "rename winch" when i right click on it, but then won't let me complete this task, so that i can't use the winch. The other parts are working fine.

I would like to thank the author for these fantastic and useful Mod!

Hey there,

So is there a way of editing what can fit into the containers? For example, I'd like to be able to add some more Quantum Struts to a manned ship up in orbit without having to deorbit it, edit it, and then relaunch the thing.

Thanks!

You could just launch a probe ship with the relevant parts - you have to get them up somehow.

The only way to get new parts into a flying vessel other than transfering them from _somewhere_ would propably be editing the save file.

Hey there,

So is there a way of editing what can fit into the containers? For example, I'd like to be able to add some more Quantum Struts to a manned ship up in orbit without having to deorbit it, edit it, and then relaunch the thing.

Thanks!

I did this with the smallest fuel tank but had issues because it only really works with radially attached parts. It should work for Quantum Struts but I've no experience with them.

Look at the "addmodule.cfg" file in the KAS folder. It shows how to add a part to the box (and make it grabbable and placeable). Just do that for quantum struts. You may need to fiddle with the numbers but if you take something that's about the right size it should work fine. I'd compare it to the regular strut (in the strut's part file, not the addmodule.cfg file) or maybe the rcs block.

One question, if you're using KAS anyway, why not use its struts?

Hey there,

Thanks!

If u look in kas/parts/you will see 2 container1 and container2 open any 1 you want or have look for the container*.cfg

open it with notepad you see, I won't put all the code here just what you need to look for MODULE

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 40

}

so if you change like maxsize= 100 or what ever.

This will adds a container to all command pods

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[KASModuleContainer]]:Final

{

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 40

}

}

Edited by Mecripp2

I'm experimenting with using a winch to get a kerbal up and down from a lander. What would be a nice feature addition is a brake on the winches that works like a descender.

Descenders have made airbags obsolete for jump stunts. They put a harness and cable on the actor or stuntperson then pay out the cable at a controlled speed, slowing to a stop just before the end, then gently lowering down.

Has anybody had any luck making a rover out of KAS peaceable parts?

I tried making a rover out of 4 small wheels, two seats, small solar panels, and 4 small batteries. It fit into 6 containers, one of which formed the chassis of the rover. I was able to build this with some effort on Kerban, but I was unable to get it properly balanced on the Mun, each time I would add a wheel It would either flip up into the air (vaccum?) and take several minutes to land several dozen meters away, or the new part would simply become embedded in the ground. I wasn't able to assemble it on the Mun because one of the wheels went missing, but on Kerban it was really topheavy.

It would be nice if KAS had a dedicated rover chassis part, and smaller, less awkward wheels. I'm really stuck on the idea of being able to fit a rover into a cargo container and assemble it on the Mun in EVA.

Welp, I've never tried building a rover completely out of the storage boxes, but what I have done is attached a rover body to a docking port on my lander and then put on the wheels. From there I could decouple and build my rover as I needed to.

Has anybody had any luck making a rover out of KAS peaceable parts?

I tried making a rover out of 4 small wheels, two seats, small solar panels, and 4 small batteries. It fit into 6 containers, one of which formed the chassis of the rover. I was able to build this with some effort on Kerban, but I was unable to get it properly balanced on the Mun, each time I would add a wheel It would either flip up into the air (vaccum?) and take several minutes to land several dozen meters away, or the new part would simply become embedded in the ground. I wasn't able to assemble it on the Mun because one of the wheels went missing, but on Kerban it was really topheavy.

It would be nice if KAS had a dedicated rover chassis part, and smaller, less awkward wheels. I'm really stuck on the idea of being able to fit a rover into a cargo container and assemble it on the Mun in EVA.

Maybe you can suspend it with a cable while you construct it?

Anyone tried to make part configs for small parts in mods like AIES, KW, science parts like TarsierSpaceTech, DMagic, KDEX, PandaJager? I want to make such mod myself (and try and learn to mod KSP in process since I'm a completely new to KSP modding), but I don't want to repeat something already done :)

OK, I know that pipes and winch cables don't behave as fuel lines. They just connect the two ships into one vessel so you can transfer fuel manually. However, would it be possible to get existing fuel lines attachable via KAS? I'm talking on the same ship, not connecting two ships together. If you connected two ships via pipes or docking ports etc first, then you could do the fuel lines to make it work. Of course those fuel lines would break when the pipe/docking ports disconnect, separating the vessels once more.

I'm guessing since this has been around for so long and it doesn't look like attachable fuel lines are available now that there are programming problems with doing that. I've had issues before relating to fuel lines where I designed a ship with fuel lines correctly, then accidentally added solar panels that blocked the fuel lines. When I flew the ship I tried to use KAS to remove the solar panels, hoping the fuel line would reconnect. Needless to say it didn't work :( Is there any likelihood that KAS might allow such fuel lines in the future? I tried to look back a load of pages, and though I saw quite a few people thinking existing pipes acted like fuel lines, I didn't see anyone asking about separate fuel lines.

Edited by Patupi

I've loved KAS since the moment I first saw it. it makes for some really awesome experiences when you, saw, pull ships together in outer space using winches, or carry around pieces of equipment on the surface of Eve using airships. I'm hoping we might get some larger Storage crates down the line, so we can put some more interesting, larger parts in them. It would be amazing if you could build a rocket home from pieces you put into storage. Also, is there any way to release the storage crates from their little connectors? It would be great if you could empty them out, then remove them and replace them with new, full ones for a reusable supply ship!

I've loved KAS since the moment I first saw it. it makes for some really awesome experiences when you, saw, pull ships together in outer space using winches, or carry around pieces of equipment on the surface of Eve using airships. I'm hoping we might get some larger Storage crates down the line, so we can put some more interesting, larger parts in them. It would be amazing if you could build a rocket home from pieces you put into storage. Also, is there any way to release the storage crates from their little connectors? It would be great if you could empty them out, then remove them and replace them with new, full ones for a reusable supply ship!

Yes, that functionality is already in. Once close enough to a part rack, you can right click and select grab to either pick it up out of the container bay and carry it around, or you can right click on the bay itself and tell it to release the container. If you have a container on your back, you can right click on the bay and choose store, which will place the container into the bay and secure it.

I just tried using the winch from this pack as an EVA tether... did not go well. Well, it worked, but every movement Jeb made was amplified up the cable and spun the pod out. By the time I'd figured out to unhook the cable, switch over to the pod, engage SAS, then try again, we were re-entering at 3kps, and everybody died XD.

Just thought I'd share my fun story :P

The thought just struck me this morning, but a small single-seat or two-seat folding single-part rover that fits into a storage crate would be a nice device to have. Sure, we can build one out of parts in situ, but the ability to bring a prebuilt model would help keep parts count down and performance up. (Same goes for a LESS-style emergency munar ascent craft.)

I just tried using the winch from this pack as an EVA tether... did not go well. Well, it worked, but every movement Jeb made was amplified up the cable and spun the pod out. By the time I'd figured out to unhook the cable, switch over to the pod, engage SAS, then try again, we were re-entering at 3kps, and everybody died XD.

Just thought I'd share my fun story :P

How were you making the connection? I use the winch for a tether all the time and never had this happen. In my case I always grab the cable without any coupling device. I did have the funny problem of my little guy spinning around like crazy when trying to pull in using the cable after his jetpack fuel ran out. :P

The thought just struck me this morning, but a small single-seat or two-seat folding single-part rover that fits into a storage crate would be a nice device to have.)

Been there, done that... I just took this: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-2x-sfr-smallcar-2/ and added it to the KAS configuration file. A single-piece vehicle is inherently more robust, and when it rolls, the kerbals can just get out and push it back onto it's wheels :D

Could you please attend to a - to me, gamebreakingly serious - bug?

Whenever a winch releases a cable that carries a part like the magnet or the connector port, so the [docked] button appears, it will reset your throttle to zero.

Whenever you retract the cable so it snaps in position again, or hit the dock button manually, it will again set your throttle to zero.

For Helicopters, VTOLs and other atmospheric crafts this means you die instantly.

The winch should not touch the throttle at any time, or interfere with your craft's steering.

Also, any part not defined KAS-useable by default, that you set to ge grab-able or storable in a container, will get miniaturized to about 2x2 pixels. See TAC Self destruct, or try making a Kerbpro from HullCamVDS storable. They end up too tiny to target or use.

Just me or are the struts comically weak? I added some to a folding station design, using IR hinges to hinge out 5m trusses with docking ports on the ends, added strut connectors to the top and bottom of each near the docking port, struts in the same direction as the hinge to counter motion, added strut connectors to the main body of the station 45 degrees up and down from the docking port location, made a kerbal go out there and join all the points together, ship bumping into the docking port a bit still makes the entire arm bend, and can make the struts snap loose, it's nowhere near as strong as the stock struts, not to mention the KW struts.

RzAbV2W.jpg

Would be nice if they were strong enough to be viable for assembling stations, securing loads connected to winches etc.

Edited by K3|Chris