Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

We can't change the angle of a part when we're attaching it, right?

Please read the documentation. You can change the orientation of the part in three dimensions using b / n, alt+b / alt+n and alt_gr+b / alt_gr+n

Warning: the grappling hooks (KAS edition) don't seem to work, and pass through it. But I think the radial attachments will work just fine.

This is is going to be a very delicate operation. Fortuneately it's passing at about 816Mm, so it should be easy to get along side long enough to attach them.

Please read the documentation. You can change the orientation of the part in three dimensions using b / n, alt+b / alt+n and alt_gr+b / alt_gr+n

Really? I don't remember that being on screen and it should be. It's been awhile since I've used KAS as it plays very not nicely with RemoteTech.

Really? I don't remember that being on screen and it should be. It's been awhile since I've used KAS as it plays very not nicely with RemoteTech.

It does say you can rotate the parts when you are in attach mode. It also says it in the OP somewhere.

Rotate, yes. Full on x, y, z orientation, no.

If you don't know the answers, please stop providing them.

If you don't know the answers, please stop providing them.

What I was saying is that the other buttons, beyond b/n, should be on screen and not just in the documentation. In-game hints/info are extremely helpful. I provided a perfectly accurate answer for what shows up on screen in the game.

Right. But not for anything else.

Anyway, back to things that matter: the elephant in the room with this mod right now is the grappling hook. Squad's claw may have been somewhat KAS-inspired, but there is definitely still lots of use for the KAS grappling hook. Shooting 3 of them at an asteroid to each impact the surface at different points would certainly work better than ramming the asteroid with something fixed to the nose of your craft.

However, it doesn't work. The PotatoRoids have some sort of non-collision properties (as do Squads claws, perhaps not coincidentally) and so the grappling hooks pass right through them. Can KAS hooks be made to work with them? Perhaps electromagnets will, unintuitively, work just fine? I'd still like the hooks to work. I'd love if they impacted the asteroid with a satisfying puff of particles, Kethane style.

You'll have a harder time centering on the asteroid's mass with grappling hooks.

With multiple connection points, pulling rather than pushing, and the ability to raise and lower hooks, the centre of mass can sort itself out. Try moving a cushion by pushing it. Balance it on one finger maybe. The centre of mass matters like this. Now pick it up by one corner with one hand. Swing it about. It's much easier than trying to balance it on one hand, but at least you're pulling and not pushing. Subsequently pick it up by two corners with two hands, and swing it around. It's much more stable. The more connection points, the less it is a problem. You can even stably pick up a cushion with your fingernails from any two points if you position your hands correctly.

With multiple connection points, pulling rather than pushing, and the ability to raise and lower hooks, the centre of mass can sort itself out. Try moving a cushion by pushing it. Balance it on one finger maybe. The centre of mass matters like this. Now pick it up by one corner with one hand. Swing it about. It's much easier than trying to balance it on one hand, but at least you're pulling and not pushing. Subsequently pick it up by two corners with two hands, and swing it around. It's much more stable. The more connection points, the less it is a problem. You can even stably pick up a cushion with your fingernails from any two points if you position your hands correctly.

Beware http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_rocket_fallacy

Doesn't apply in this case:

> The physical system constituted by a rocket, like Goddard's, comprises the engine, tank, and rigid frame.

Yeah, this is why pendulum rocket fallacy never really applied to KSP before KJR, and then ARM came about. Rockets in KSP were anything but rigid frames. :) Now this happens, too, but is easily mitigated.

I have a problem when I pick a part from a container. I then can only use the drop key and pick it up from space but not by right clicking it. This makes it very hard to link pipes and whatnot.

I have a similar problem. After I take a part from a container it disappears. But I can never find it. When I go back to the tracking station, it says it's floating near the station but I can never find it.

One suggestion, sorry if this has come up in the past...

It would be really helpful if the KAS strut end points could be connected from inside the VAB. Yes I know, the vanilla struts do exactly that. However I find myself in the situation that I need structural stability (for launch only) between two parts of a ship that will be undocked once in orbit, only to be re-strutted later in the mission. So what I have to do is use normal struts for launch (which leave the ugly knobs once decoupled) AND carry a set of KAS struts to reconnect the two parts later.

Hence, being able to connect the KAS strut end points in VAB would make everything neater.

Edited by MrOnak
typos

Can any of the KAS hooks attach themselves to the asteroid? Because Jeb's "Rock Catcher" has 2 KAS winch-mounted grappling hooks, and I would be more than glad to swap out the hook if I have to. If not then I guess I spent half an hour trying to attach and reorient them for nothing.

Can any of the KAS hooks attach themselves to the asteroid? Because Jeb's "Rock Catcher" has 2 KAS winch-mounted grappling hooks, and I would be more than glad to swap out the hook if I have to. If not then I guess I spent half an hour trying to attach and reorient them for nothing.

No, as discussed above, hooks and winch lines currently pass straight through the asteroid. You can however mount radial attachment points and connect those, but it's definitely not the same!

Trying to make a walkway for stations and bases, something to build in location, not really walkable but connecting the vessels for transfering fuel, crew, etc.

I thought I would try fooling around with the pipe endpoints.

ClEczzO.jpg

I tried recoloring and rotating the texture for the pipe to look like an flexible foldable tube - didnt work out.

Simply enlarging the pipe endpoint did not have a desired enlarging effect on the pipe.

Main goal: Add KASModuleStrut to docking ports and make them also work as walkway endpoints.

Something like this, but more a big hose:

IMG_0225.JPG

Trying to make a walkway for stations and bases, something to build in location, not really walkable but connecting the vessels for transfering fuel, crew, etc.

I thought I would try fooling around with the pipe endpoints.

I tried recoloring and rotating the texture for the pipe to look like an flexible foldable tube - didnt work out.

Simply enlarging the pipe endpoint did not have a desired enlarging effect on the pipe.

Main goal: Add KASModuleStrut to docking ports and make them also work as walkway endpoints.

Something like this, but more a big hose:

I think InfinateDice did something like that. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/infinitedice-strongstruts-v1-1-2/ Perhaps you can install the KAS code into the InfinateDice's code?