Research & Development Overview *Permanent Update Thread

Synapse86

The change log isn't enough? I have no idea what to write otherwise.

Something along these lines should suffice:

"This mod adds a button at the bottom of the KSC overview that opens a research & development overview screen. Here you can see every experiment you have ever performed, how much science you gained from said experiments, and how much each one has left in its pool. You can also sort them by orbital body, science left, science gained, type of experiment, etc. I also plan to add a "science kerbals" functionality later on that will allow you to seek advice from the KSC's science staff as to where you should plan to explore next."

Hope that helped. You have my permission to copy and past if you wish. :)

Something along these lines should suffice:

"This mod adds a button at the bottom of the KSC overview that opens a research & development overview screen. Here you can see every experiment you have ever performed, how much science you gained from said experiments, and how much each one has left in its pool. You can also sort them by orbital body, science left, science gained, type of experiment, etc. I also plan to add a "science kerbals" functionality later on that will allow you to seek advice from the KSC's science staff as to where you should plan to explore next."

Hope that helped. You have my permission to copy and past if you wish. :)

Thank you sir.

I'm curious is anyone established what is the 'max' potential of science in the whole system as a whole?

From what I read in this thread, the app only tracks performed experiments? I'm working on a tech tree so i'm curious as to what's the natural max amount of science available out there.

I'm curious is anyone established what is the 'max' potential of science in the whole system as a whole?

From what I read in this thread, the app only tracks performed experiments? I'm working on a tech tree so i'm curious as to what's the natural max amount of science available out there.

I have been trying to figure this out...with no luck. This all I know so far. (I'm probably wrong).

-The science parts in their part.cfg have a value xmitDataScalar, the lower it is the higher the science yield for that part per single experiment?

-The ScienceDefs.cfg defines all experiment values which are modified by a situation (these values are in ScienceDefs.cfg) and biome multiplier (which I can't figure out).

-Once an experiment has been done at least once it is recorded in the persistent.sfs file to again modify the science points awarded each time. (This is probably irrelevant to finding the max)

You could probably find the games vanilla max by combining all the above? I will be looking into it again later at some point. If you figure it out before me I would love to know because I want to add an adviser on what the next experiment should be. :P

Edited by Synapse86

-The science parts in their part.cfg have a value xmitDataScalar, the lower it is the higher the science yield for that part per single experiment?

You're wrong on this one - this line defines data loss (how much data is lost when you transmit results by comms).

Nope, its the transmit-factor. Taken from the command pod:

name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = [B][U]crewReport[/U][/B]

experimentActionName = Crew Report
resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True

[U][B]xmitDataScalar = 1.0[/B][/U]

/teachervoice

And as we all know, crew reports are transmitted at 100%!

Edited by KerbMav

Nope, its the transmit-factor. (-snip-)

That's what I had in mind, but as you can see - I explained it in rather unclear fashion.

Basically - the closer this value is to 0 the more data you lose.

Edited by jcraft

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started playing KSP again, and I like the science aspect, but keeping track of it all is putting me right off.

I like this mod, but I feel that it needs to be taken further - basically what is needed to make KSP open to more casual play is a graphical representation of how much science is available for each experiment at each planet, broken down into the various biomes / altitudes.

So for example, at a glance I can tell that for the Mun, I have full available science for the "Sensor Array Computing Nose Cone" at all altitudes in the polar regions, but very little other science available.

I can understand that this may be more complex - I guess you would need to parse all parts for available experiments, and all planets for available biomes / atmosphere heights etc - but in reality it is just data processing. The biggest challenge would probably be the UI.

Some ideas on where this mod could be taken:

1) Auto-science

For a mission allow the user to pre-plan which experiments will be performed where. When the craft is in the appropriate place, automatically trigger the experiments. No more trying to perform experiments while also trying to land!

I guess this would require hitting a button that scans the craft and detects which experiments are on it, then presenting a UI that allows you to pick which experiments will be performed where.

2) Research Planning.

Given that a user had done the setup for (1) without launching a craft, allow them to say "This will happen on day X".

Then Mark that research in the log as "Pending" and maybe adjust the progress bars in the research log.

Optionally maybe put it in a calendar? To help you plan around launch windows?

3) Assist in craft design and maximizing science return for weight

Some sort of functionality to help you work out the best return for a given weight, or what weight would be needed to max out research for a given planet.

4) Launch window planner.

Hook into someone else's launch window mod to find optimal times to reach bodies.

Place a column in the research log of time to launch window and let users order by that column.

5) Update research log with unreturned experiments.

If you want max return from experiments, you bring them back. However, AFAIK the game does not register experiments currently held on craft but not yet returned.

This may involve saving some of your mod's data in a per-savegame file (Totally possible IIRC), and may involve sync issues (What if craft is destroyed or experiment falls off on landing?) but probably solvable I think.

Anyway, enough of the wish list. If you need help, I can totally recommend the ksb devs IRC channel, there are lots of helpful guys in there.

All the best...

this mod is great, but its still hard to figure out what biomes / orbits/ experiments are left to explore if you have already visited most places on a planet... Keep up the good work, and maybe Squad will also come up with somethings... for example a space telescope which can investigate planets and then will tell you where you can land^^

• 3 weeks later...
That's what I had in mind, but as you can see - I explained it in rather unclear fashion.

Basically - the closer this value is to 0 the more data you lose.

So the science value is multiplied by xmitDataSchalar? Does 'xmitDataSchalar = 1.5' also work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks, DigitalProeliator.

With new 0.23 version of KSP, this mod does get a bit redondant with the new vanilla science archive, no?

Unfortunately yes, the new science archive basically does everything this mod does and more. Regardless, this mod was a huge help during 0.22, and I salute Synapse86 for putting in the time to make it. :)

With new 0.23 version of KSP, this mod does get a bit redondant with the new vanilla science archive, no?

No, it is not redundant. The new science archive has a crappy UI and does not allow for quick 'n easy locating of any low hanging fruit. It's almost as if they said "hey, let's make a list of science gathered" but forgot to say 'and make it useful".

Well-- that's quite a Point/Counter-point from the last two posts ^^.

This mod is largely replaced by actual KSP functionality, but some aspects could be retained as a smaller mod to cover aspects that are yet missing from the stock game.

Thank you Synapse86 for building it, and I would look forward to anything you do with it going forward. :D

I find myself still using this plugin to check some statistics that are unavailable in the stock Science Archives, like for instance the total amount of Science fished out from a moon or planet. Maybe Synapse can find a way to mod certain statistics into the Science Archives using some of the code?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it possible to make it show some (cheat) information? something like "List of all science experiments" und "Remaining experiments". So i would know what to do.

Because now i can only see "Remaining points" for allready executed experiments.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.