Hilarious the science tree gives us Skipper before Mainsail

Oddible

NEW CHALLENGE:

Overheat every single engine so it explodes at the exact same time

Just kidding

Overheat a Nerva

dam things are impossible, they heat up to half bar and then stop :/

Overheating a Nerva is easy. Stick it on an orange tank and light it up.

I don't mind that you get Skippers before the Mainsails. I put a 3 man capsule into orbit and then on to Duna using Skippers alone. What I find ridiculous is the Poodle comes before the Skipper. I did actually try to get a poodle transfer stage into orbit with small engines for about 20 minutes. I think it would be possible with a lot of work, but I gave up in the end.

Edited by Merinsan

I use skippers on first two stages of my asparagus lifter. Mainsails on third stage and nervas on fourth. It gives me pretty balanced performance - mainsails lift the cargo, skippers lift fuel for mainsails. It gives me better performance than what I was getting from my previous lifter using seven mainsails and twice the fuel.

X8vz8FU.jpg

Besides in career mode Skippers were more than enough to make an interplanetary probe. In rocket design, less is sometimes more. One skipper even traveled all the way with the ship and helped with braking at the destination.

D7x6wpl.jpg

The Skipper is my new favorite engine, an has been sufficient for all my needs.

This is my currently most used medium-heavy lift launcher, using a total of 6 Skippers (4 boosters ,1 core, 1 upper stage), and 4 of the largest 1m rockets.

pWkdEbK.jpg

The 1m rocket engines in the core stage are set to fire when decoupling the boosters, raising the thrust to close to what a Mainsail gives at full thrust.

The Skipper is my new favorite engine, an has been sufficient for all my needs.

This is my currently most used medium-heavy lift launcher, using a total of 6 Skippers (4 boosters ,1 core, 1 upper stage), and 4 of the largest 1m rockets.

The 1m rocket engines in the core stage are set to fire when decoupling the boosters, raising the thrust to close to what a Mainsail gives at full thrust.

Why not just use a Mainsail then?

I don't think I can overheat the skipper even if I tried.

Challenge Proposed?

Edit: NEVERMIND

I just ran one for 10 straight minutes and it refused to do anything except continue to function as the magnificent bastard it is.

Edited by Apophis775

I like the Skipper quite a bit. I find that a 2.5m core with a central Skipper and 4 radially mounted Mark 55's gives pretty good first stage performance. Use 3 of them with cross-feed or four in an asparagus arrangement and you get very impressive lift. Since I haven't yet unlocked the Mainsail, this design has become my default medium to heavy lifter in my Career save.

Trivia: before the Skipper was added, wasn't there a more or less equivalent called the Atlas in one of the major mod packs? I seem to remember that from the 0.19 days.

my main complaint is not the order of skipper > mainsail (also i thought the skipper was called "atlas"... whatever), but that it takes so damn long to unlock the blasted cubic octagonal struts... i had no idea how much i depended on those little guys for structural integrity on by big rockets until i had to do without them... without the classic reinforcement between two stages, my rockets just fold and cripple like a cheap suit

Edited by spikeyhat09

Why not just use a Mainsail then?

Because several smaller engines is more efficient and just as powerful as one big engine. I almost always do clusters instead of mainsails, the performance of said clusters is fantastic.

my main complaint is not the order of skipper > mainsail (also i thought the skipper was called "atlas"... whatever), but that it takes so damn long to unlock the blasted cubic octagonal struts... i had no idea how much i depended on those little guys for structural integrity on by big rockets until i had to do without them... without the classic reinforcement between two stages, my rockets just fold and cripple like a cheap suit

I'd like to point out that technically you don't really need the octo struts in that case; if you place them correctly, the bracing struts will actually clip through the decoupler.

It does seem odd to get a large intermediate before the large first stage. it just discouraged me from using the larger parts at all for the first 2/3 of the tech tree. I'm not complaining though it forced me to play with other designs I would not have attempted in the playground where I subscribe to bigger is better.

I like the Skipper quite a bit. I find that a 2.5m core with a central Skipper and 4 radially mounted Mark 55's gives pretty good first stage performance. Use 3 of them with cross-feed or four in an asparagus arrangement and you get very impressive lift. Since I haven't yet unlocked the Mainsail, this design has become my default medium to heavy lifter in my Career save.

Great minds...

thkvrPC.png

NEW CHALLENGE:

Overheat every single engine so it explodes at the exact same time

Just kidding

Overheat a Nerva

dam things are impossible, they heat up to half bar and then stop :/

Nervas can be overheated with this design. Strangely not always but sometimes @full power over 30 seconds.

NrV1IZS.jpg

You're confusing the Mainsail with the Skipper. Besides, the Mainsail has been adjusted and it barely overheats.

Not exactly the Engine but the tanks have been adjusted to create less heat on the engine. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51872-How-does-Overheating-generate

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

• 3 weeks later...
My only problem with unlocking the skipper first is its description compared to the mainsail. The skipper's description makes a little more sense if you know the one for the mainsail.

Other than that, it makes sense.

I think we're meant to assume that at that stage in the game, the engineers do know about the Mainsail, but it's still very much a lab-only item.

i.e. still blowing up on the test stands whenever they fire it up, but in every Kerbonaut's mind as something that'll be great for the space program once it finally works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.