[0.25] KDEX - Kerbal Dust Experiment v1.04 - outdated -

masTerTorch

I think he actually meant that to Jaxx ,who posted exactly above him,for who the KDEX part does nothing ingame. So BananaDealer asked if Jaxx was using Career or Sandbox because in Sandbox mode science modules don'T work obviously....

Clever boy! You are indeed correct!

Very nice idea, and I hope you come up with more of this stuff too!

Will install it once I get home for the weekend.

Just a question: does it work on other planets too or is it just a Mun thing?

It's in career, of course. The action menu in VAB still shows up with options, but again, running the game doesn't let me interact with it in any way, including action group buttons.

Make sure that the ...\GameData\masTerTorch\Resources folder and ScienceDefs.cfg isn´t missing. Maybe reinstalling KDEX will help.

Seems to work almost everywhere.

True! Even when landed.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems since 0.23 the KDex isn't working well anymore crashing my game several times. I hope there will be some patching around. 07

Is your game crashing when performing the experiment, or does it just crash trying to load vessels that have the experiment on board? Or does it just derp out whenever, or on initial loading?

I can launch the vessel, but game randomly crashes, or when I perform experiment but it's not everytime I use the module... I found out that was KDex when I tried to use only this mod and crashed while flying. Game doesnt crash anymore since I removed the mod.

I think I will only add 0.23 certified mods to avoid this kind of problem and lose some poor kerbals when their ship is deleted (sorry Jeb, Doodlus and Chris, wasn't my fault. ;.; )

It's working perfectly for me. I've used it on at least a dozen different missions so far without any problems. Sometimes direct return, sometimes transmitting and then being cleaned by the new science lab: worked fine either way.

Edited by Gaius

I can launch the vessel, but game randomly crashes, or when I perform experiment but it's not everytime I use the module... I found out that was KDex when I tried to use only this mod and crashed while flying. Game doesnt crash anymore since I removed the mod.

I think I will only add 0.23 certified mods to avoid this kind of problem and lose some poor kerbals when their ship is deleted (sorry Jeb, Doodlus and Chris, wasn't my fault. ;.; )

I am working on optimizing the part.cfg. Hope that will fix your problems. Minmus biomes update will follow. I am thinking about making this experiment rerunable without cleaning in the lab. The output of the experiment is data, which is created by collisions of dust particles colliding with the back of the can. So it is the data you want and not the dust particles. Data is generated by ionizing. I think cleaning is not necessary.

Update v1.01 Changelog:

- reworked part.cfg for 0.23 compatibility,

- nerfed the science outcome slightly,

- experiment does not need to be cleaned by science-lab anymore.

That should fix the compatibility problems.

Minmus biome update will follow soon.

cheers

masTerTorch

Thanks for the update. Love that the science is now collectable on EVA. I did notice one problem, though. I was tweaking the interactionRange on my science experiments using ModuleManager and discovered that this mod has a "name" parameter with spaces (in fact it's identical to the "title" parameter, which is the human-readable parameter -- "name" is the internal Unity entity name), which causes compatibility problems with ModuleManager. Doesn't crash or anything, but you can't tweak it using MM except by using wildcards (e.g. "@PART[Kerbal*Dust*Experiment]:Final"). Unfortunately, changing the "name" will break saved craft. But if you ever have to make any save-breaking changes in the future, please change the "name" to not include spaces at that time. Squad usually uses medial capitals, underscores, or dashes in place of spaces in "name".

Thanks for the update. Love that the science is now collectable on EVA. I did notice one problem, though. I was tweaking the interactionRange on my science experiments using ModuleManager and discovered that this mod has a "name" parameter with spaces (in fact it's identical to the "title" parameter, which is the human-readable parameter -- "name" is the internal Unity entity name), which causes compatibility problems with ModuleManager. Doesn't crash or anything, but you can't tweak it using MM except by using wildcards (e.g. "@PART[Kerbal*Dust*Experiment]:Final"). Unfortunately, changing the "name" will break saved craft. But if you ever have to make any save-breaking changes in the future, please change the "name" to not include spaces at that time. Squad usually uses medial capitals, underscores, or dashes in place of spaces in "name".

Thanks. I will keep that in mind!

• 2 weeks later...
May be a dumb question, but...how does this work? I don't have to actually land my craft ON the instrument, do I? I assume it works like the seismic scanner, I just have to be landed on a surface, right?

You don't need to land anywhere. The experiment works in space as well...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.