[1.4.3]ALCOR,"Advanced Landing Capsule for Orbital Rendezvous" by ASET (08/02/2017)

alexustas

There are mods and then there are Alexustas parts so I wouldn't dismiss the potential of lander parts so nonchalantly when it comes to Alexustas.

I see where you're coming from and to an extent, I agree, but at the end of the day, a fuel tank is a fuel tank. It hold fuel, it provides a purpose, it gets used. Alexustas's fuel tanks would be the same (though, they'd look stunning while doing that). ALCOR is a command pod but to call it such would be an understatement - it provides and is so much more than a kerbal can. It's possible to to a Mun return full IVA with it, I could spend an hour easily just looking at the interior. I wouldn't regard ERS as a way to move across the surface (like I do the stock rover wheels) because the immersion it brings is unparalleled. And the fact of the matter is that while Alexustas fuel tank would look amazing, they are literally just a place to store fuel and nothing more.

To put it briefly, Alex's fuel tanks could be replaced and the thing would still function. There's no replacement for ALCOR though, no way.

I see where you're coming from and to an extent, I agree, but at the end of the day, a fuel tank is a fuel tank. It hold fuel, it provides a purpose, it gets used. Alexustas's fuel tanks would be the same (though, they'd look stunning while doing that). ALCOR is a command pod but to call it such would be an understatement - it provides and is so much more than a kerbal can. It's possible to to a Mun return full IVA with it, I could spend an hour easily just looking at the interior. I wouldn't regard ERS as a way to move across the surface (like I do the stock rover wheels) because the immersion it brings is unparalleled. And the fact of the matter is that while Alexustas fuel tank would look amazing, they are literally just a place to store fuel and nothing more.

To put it briefly, Alex's fuel tanks could be replaced and the thing would still function. There's no replacement for ALCOR though, no way.

I agree but its not just fuel tank. We are talking about and Ascent Stage and a Decent stage. You are talking about not only fuel tanks but engines, possibly science packages, landing legs, antennas. A storage place for the rover. So yes I see your point about fuel tanks being fuel tanks, however this is Alexustas. Its not just gonna be fuel tanks. It will fit into the infrastructure he has created seamlessly. Imagine a Konquest style lander. That makes me excited. So I would love to see Konquest finished and finally play with it. However if something like this is on the table I would love to see that too. So although we agree I doubt that it will just be a fuel tank.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

Agreed, but Alexustas is not possessed of unlimited time. Given the choice of getting the ALCOR ascent/descent or KONQUEST, I'll bodge something together for ALCOR and take KONQUEST without reservation.

I don't disagree with you. But he didn't say this or Konquest. He simply asked if we would be interested in lander parts for the ALCOR capsule. So if thats the case then it should be an unequivocal yes.

He simply asked if we would be interested in lander parts for the ALCOR capsule. So if thats the case then it should be an unequivocal yes.

As I mentioned, I would never say I don't want it, I just consider it a low priority. Yes, of course I want an ALCOR lander set, but I don't want to land it next to some hitchhiker and science lab modules, you know? I'd rather land it next to an ERS rover with some KONQUEST modules nearby.

As I mentioned, I would never say I don't want it, I just consider it a low priority. Yes, of course I want an ALCOR lander set, but I don't want to land it next to some hitchhiker and science lab modules, you know? I'd rather land it next to an ERS rover with some KONQUEST modules nearby.

I 2nd this :) all this mods are gold can't wait to get my kerbal hands on KONQUEST :)

I agree and Im not disagreeing that Konquest shouldn't have priority. Again he asked if we would be interested. So I think we agree that its a yes.

I’m interested in the opinion of the ALCOR users.

Should I develop the descent/ascent stage for the ALCOR lander? I mean the pack of the fuel tanks, engines and so on.

you always seem to bake utilility into parts that I didnt even consider so Id love to see a landing / ascent package personally. I dont think you would be asking if it wasnt something you were already somewhat excited to do, but you have a couple really good projects going and a growing set of resources that is going to make each project faster with each development, so go wherever your enthusiasm is. Youre working on stuff people want either way

Should I develop the descent/ascent stage for the ALCOR lander? I mean the pack of the fuel tanks, engines and so on.

YES!!!

Anything you make to add more bits to your lineup is a good idea. as I have said before the ALCOR is the center of my KSP install. every mod I install must work with ALCOR or it is removed. and when the time comes to prune mods anything by ASET is very high on the must have list.

As a side note.... Does anybody have a ATM.cfg file to exclude all the IVA textures with writing on them? my ATM setup is compressing my textures to the point I can no longer read the writing on the IVA textures, so the switch labels are useless. I can't find the switch for lights etc. by reading. I have to just click around till I find the switch I am looking for.

IIRC, when I suggested some descending rack for ALCOR long time ago - I was told that the capsule is for zero gravity only :)))

With the advent of resources in the game I think the focus is on colonization and science and resources, with this in mind I think Konquest would be the priority and lander package for alcor secondary however I am guessing you may already have had something on the drawing boards you where working on if you want to release it go for it no matter what you do Alex people are going to love it

With the advent of resources in the game I think the focus is on colonization and science and resources, with this in mind I think Konquest would be the priority and lander package for alcor secondary however I am guessing you may already have had something on the drawing boards you where working on if you want to release it go for it no matter what you do Alex people are going to love it

I second this :)

That would be intresting. But you might want to keep it as modular as possible, something we could adapt to different need. As a side note, I would realy like a conformal bay for it, that would be realy nice!

Btw, I made so many lander with your capsule. Most of them had the fuel tanks mounted on top and 4 engine and landing legs cliping on the bottom edge of the capsule itself. They where single obviously.

Alex, your lander pod is what I base nearly all my landers on. If I need it to be dependable and elegant, I use the ALCOR. Besides, I can do full IVA flights. That's not possible with any other lander pod. I would love to see what you can do with other lander components as well!

My vote is more attention to Konquest and ESR. I love ESR and not being able to really use it in 1.02 is tough. Konquest looks amazing and I can't wait to try it out.

Once again everyone! The question is not Konquest or this. The question is would you want lander parts.

Once again everyone! The question is not Konquest or this. The question is would you want lander parts.

Once again, sp1989! No-one is saying they don't want lander parts. They are saying that attention should be diverted to ERS and KONQUEST first.

Seriously, it's right there in the post you quoted. "More attention to Konquest and ERS" does not mean "all attention to Konquest and ERS".

Once again, sp1989! No-one is saying they don't want lander parts. They are saying that attention should be diverted to ERS and KONQUEST first.

Seriously, it's right there in the post you quoted. "More attention to Konquest and ERS" does not mean "all attention to Konquest and ERS".

No I know and I don't intend to be so contentious. I agree that Konquest should come first however it seems that everyone forgetting the question and keeps bring up Konquest. It should be yes or no correct? I think Alex knows by now we want Konquest.

I'm a bit confused here, which files do i need to download for the full lander? (with the legs and all)

The opening page is pretty good regarding installation. Particularly the picture which shows how the folder tree must look. The legs are not available at this time, because Alexustas has not yet released the mod which they will be a part of. It's called KONQUEST. If you want to get a better look at KONQUEST development, watch some of Alexustas' videos on his YouTube channel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.