[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I love this mod, but there is this annoying issue. If a mainsail is attached to the orange tanks they always explode because of "G-force damage".

Is there any way to get this fixed?

The mainsails have always overheated a lot with orangetanks even without this mod. Just put a grey tank(doesn't matter what size) beneath the orange tank.

The mainsails have always overheated a lot with orangetanks even without this mod. Just put a grey tank(doesn't matter what size) beneath the orange tank.

It doesn't so it anymore, so it feels annoying. Also this mod is supposed to make things realistic and that aspect of it clearly is not more realistic.. Anyway, attaching a gray tank underneath works fine most of the time, but when you build really huge rockets you really want to maximize lifting capacity per part, and I'm playing with RSS so I need huge rockets for everything.

B9 is. KWRocketry, like all other parts mods that don't have their own CFGs in the Deadly Reentry folder, is handled automatically: max temps above 2500 are halved, and then clamped to 2500 if still above it (with engine heat production scaled proportionally).

Because it's automatic no heat shields are added, but none are appropriate.

Help me please. Heatshields do not show up in my VAH in career or sandbox mode. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times (just DRE, not entire game). Debug mode shows up and i can burn up on reentry, so the plugin works, i just cant get the parts. Any ideas how to fix? Thanks. I run lots of other various mods, any known conflicts?

Edited by Lucy1nTheSky
clarification

Help me please. Heatshields do not show up in my VAH in career or sandbox mode. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times (just DRE, not entire game). Debug mode shows up and i can burn up on reentry, so the plugin works, i just cant get the parts. Any ideas how to fix? Thanks. I run lots of other various mods, any known conflicts?

Playing on career mode?

I'm having a lot of problems with SFJackBauer's engines, specifically the AIES ones: They all clip and will not hold any structural stability. The moment I use them my entire rocket spazzes out and the links with the AIES engines break. The others from KW Rocketry and NovaPunch etc. are fine and don't do the same thing. This using AIES 1.5.0. Don't know if that might be the problem?

This is the rocket I'm trying to build:

8rYxwWt.png

It happens with the RS-68 and the J2-X(both of the top attachment points). Just for information: I have 16 of the KW Rocketry Heavy Struts in there. It happens with or without them.

Here's the in-game log:

UhIrIpX.png

Edited by ANWRocketMan

I'm having a lot of problems with SFJackBauer's engines, specifically the AIES ones: They all clip and will not hold any structural stability. The moment I use them my entire rocket spazzes out and the links with the AIES engines break. The others from KW Rocketry and NovaPunch etc. are fine and don't do the same thing. This using AIES 1.5.0. Don't know if that might be the problem?

This is the rocket I'm trying to build:

http://i.imgur.com/8rYxwWt.png

It happens with the RS-68 and the J2-X(both of the top attachment points). Just for information: I have 16 of the KW Rocketry Heavy Struts in there. It happens with or without them.

Here's the in-game log:

http://i.imgur.com/UhIrIpX.png

I was/am having the same exact problem with the J2X. Have you tried the rocket with the procedural interstage adapter (with fairings on) between that engine and the tank below it? I was having an issue where the top stage would fall right into the lower stage as soon as the rocket showed up on the launchpad. Eventually that seemed to fix itself somehow so it no longer happened, but then as soon as the first stage separated in flight the J2Xs of the second stage would fly off/explode as well. The other problem was anytime I would revert to the VAB/launchpad or load the rocket from a save the interstage fairing would load inside the above fuel tank.

Lucy1nTheSky: Delete your DRE folder. Redownload. Reinstall. Create a new sandbox game. Check the structural tab; DRE parts should be near the top, since D is early in the alphabet. If the heatshields are still missing, post your ksp.log.

Thanks! That fixed it. Some of the numbers changed for the DRE zip file, so i must have gotten an old version somehow. Probably off of spaceport... Anywho, great mod, keep up the awesome work!

ANWRocketMan, I think I fixed the problem. For the J2-X in the real_engines_rescale I added this code in:

%crashTolerance = 7
%breakingForce = 800
%breakingTorque = 800

Not sure if this was indeed the problem, but it's fixed so I'm not questioning it. Though my my interstage adapter still ends up in my upperstage tank, but I think that's a stretchy tank or procedural fairings bug.

Edited by Scripto23

Hi

since I updated to the last version I noticed that the plugin seems to have more tolerance.

I de-orbited my station yesterday and nothing went up in flames,

even though I was going 2k m/s at 50km.

At work right now *giggle* and i'll update when I get home but just seemed like it wasn't even installed at all.

I de-orbited my station yesterday and nothing went up in flames,

even though I was going 2k m/s at 50km.

I'm rather late at the party (only tried Deadly Reentry this month), but that seems to be the case with FAR. My first attemts were with spaceplanes and careful reentry, and the only thing I ever lost to the flames was an external camera (from Raster Prop Monitor) - so I assumed it works as intended, and my trajectory was feasible. Mostly.

But then I tried to deorbit some satellite, and yeah, it reached the ground fully intact. And that seems strange. Default settings, did not change anthing in config yet. Maybe I should.

Edit:

@BigP0ppaJ: the setting with a default of 1.03 is temperatureExponent (it is not the shockwave exponent mentioned in the original post).

Edited by Konnor

In the config, there's a setting (I forget what it's called. Exponent somethign or other) that the default is 1.03. If you change this to 1.13, you get what I think is better behavior. Moderately careful entry will give you no problems but stupid reentries will burn up. It doesn't make it crazy hard, but it does make you pay attention, which is what I wanted. (BTW, I'm using FAR as well.)

Have it, doesn't change the speed at which it rips, only considers parts that act like sails better. Reentering atmosphere show shred a probe apart before it can even get a chance to burn up, and it would be logical to have deadly reentry set that up. :)

An issue here is that Kerbin just isn't that dangerous a place to reenter. :)

(That's what the shockwave mult and exponent are for, per OP.)

Solar panels break due to code in their module; same for antennae in RT2. It *is* a decent idea to add similar functionality to DRE, to add a max dynamic pressure value to parts and break them if that's exceeded. But usually temperature and G-force suffice to kill unshielded probes in poor reentry corridors.