[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Shania, nobody is asking anyone to be rocket scientists. Just use some common sense.

That's #1.

#2, maybe if the post had been a little less accusatory and confrontational I'd not be so harsh.

TOSHOGU: 'your chutes'? Deadly Reentry does not provide chutes.. Secondly, Deadly Reentry does not affect velocity. AT ALL. If you aren't decelerating enough that's got nothing to do with this mod. You've got something else going on.

Behold! A safe reentry. Did I correctly interpret your latest post to indicate that you started from 80km altitude? (it's a little confusing because you're sprinkling 'k' after just about every number). Periapsis set to 20km. Chute deployment occurred automatically at 7km. I configured it that way in Real Chute. That's how well I know what I'm talking about; I'm not just making this stuff up to confuse people.

If you want to submit a log I'll look at it, but it sounds less and less like DREC is responsible. You've either got another mod interferring or it's user error. Also, in-game press alt+d+r and then take a screenshot and submit that too so I can see what you have your DRE settings at.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have just confirmed a Mk1-2 pod from 250x250 reentering with perikerb of 40km is absolutely fine; temps don't go over 450 even on ballistic descent, chutes popped at subsonic, no problem. Currently doing a trans-munar reentry.

EDIT: Also fine.

Edited by NathanKell

Got a question. I was testing a ship for fun in sandbox and using Kerbal Construction Time to simulate it in orbit at 75km. The engine I used was a Pulsed Inductive one from Near Future Tech. It has a max temp of 2800 yet for some reason it kept exploding in orbit at 1350. I haven't done too much testing yet so I can't say if it might be deadly reentry, but I thought it might be.

Log doesn't help much:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

pit-125 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

DRE does lower max temps of most parts. Some more than others. Except heat shield parts

Hmm, yeah I've seen the if max temp is above x multiply by x config. Is that not done via mm though? I ask because I checked the debug menu part config for the engine and it still listed 2800.

No it is not done by MM. It is from loooooong before MM supported wildcards.

Hmm, well if I could make a feature request then. Would it be possible to add a separate maxtemp config for engines? They are pretty much the only part that generates heat and thus gets totally broken if reduced too much.

For now I'm just making the multiplier a wee bit higher.

Hmm, yeah I've seen the if max temp is above x multiply by x config. Is that not done via mm though? I ask because I checked the debug menu part config for the engine and it still listed 2800.

If you check the in game part description it lists the actual temperature the part can handle after DR applies its changes.

Engines already have that taken into account; heatProduction is always reduced in proportion to maxTemp reduction.

Hmm, well guess I will need to test some more.

In anycase it might be useful to have a part exception list or something.

If you check the in game part description it lists the actual temperature the part can handle after DR applies its changes.

Cool, thanks

I saw other people post this issue but no reproductions or resolutions.

If you inflate the heat shield in the VAB, ModuleAnimateGeneric/Status becomes permanently set to "Fixed" and you end up with it inflated whenever you reload the craft or try to launch it. (Very bad when you are using procedural fairings, :huh::wink:)

Deflating the heat shield in the VAB returns it to its original state but the status always remains as "Fixed".

It also saves the animation state if you click save in the middle of the animation...

Thanks for a great mod!

I saw other people post this issue but no reproductions or resolutions.

If you inflate the heat shield in the VAB, ModuleAnimateGeneric/Status becomes permanently set to "Fixed" and you end up with it inflated whenever you reload the craft or try to launch it. (Very bad when you are using procedural fairings, :huh::wink:)

Deflating the heat shield in the VAB returns it to its original state but the status always remains as "Fixed".

It also saves the animation state if you click save in the middle of the animation...

Thanks for a great mod!

Looks like a problem with the part's animation. I considered the possibility that the one shot setting was confusing ModuleAnimateGeneric but it still did it even if I set it to false. I don't know what in the animation could do something like this but I don't think we have access to the original mesh so doing anything with the animation isn't an option. Another animator module might fare better but I don't like any of the alternatives out there. (Firespitter would be an obvious alternative but I've had issues with Firespitter before and would not feel comfortable making it a dependency)

I seem to be having a parachute problem. When deployed, the parachute immediately its severed from the rocket leaving my Kerbal to ponder upon his very short existence. I've tested this problem three times now to no avail; all three kerbal's died for the greater good. If this dilemma is known of, i apologise for the repeat, but thought it was worth pointing out.

I seem to be having a parachute problem. When deployed, the parachute immediately its severed from the rocket leaving my Kerbal to ponder upon his very short existence. I've tested this problem three times now to no avail; all three kerbal's died for the greater good. If this dilemma is known of, i apologise for the repeat, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Delete your current DeadlyReentry folder

Download the latest and install it. https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/download/v6.2.1/DeadlyReentry_v6.2.1.zip

Wait until you are ~7km altitude (or a velocity of ~350m/s)

When deployed, the parachute immediately its severed from the rocket leaving my Kerbal to ponder upon his very short existence.

Recent versions of DRE have implemented temperature checks on parachutes. To use parachutes w/o having them burned off:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of DRE

2. Wait until you are going <400 m/s before deploying the parachutes

3. Wait until you are in the lower atmosphere before deploying the parachutes. I have been firing them off at about 5km with success.

4. Don't let MechJeb deploy your parachutes - it will deploy them too high, and going too fast, and they will burn up.

If all else fails, bail out (go EVA). Kerbals have been known to bounce, and survive landings that no vehicle would.

Is there any way to do an ICBM like heatshield? Kinda like the Titan II ICBMs payload?

Probably. What is it, non ablative thermal soak? If it's stock sized Kerbin try adding a heat shield with .25 reflective and no ablative. Look at how spaceplane parts are done.

I have two things to report.

Went to Laythe today. Aerobraked at Jool. Plasma and reentry sound start instantly upon crossing 138 km. There is absolutely no transition. It's as someone turned on a switch. The shield was ok. Other parts of the ship, too, as they were all inside the reentry shadow of the shield.

Then I aerobraked at Laythe. 4400 m/s reentry speed. The shield went to some 1300 °C and lost 25% of the ablation, but several pieces (some tanks and RCS thrusters) of the ship began to overheat just like there was no shield at all. They've exploded.

What happened? :confused:

Ambient is the ambient temperature, not the shockwave temperature. If you open the DRE debug window, then more displays on right-click will be enabled, including shockwave. (If the shockwave temperature were only -25C, do you really think the part would be heated up to 476C? :) )

lajoswinkler: as Starwaster mentioned in one of the updates, Jool's atmosphere is not very dense, so while you're going insanely fast and thus flash-heat what air there is, the air being hot doesn't mean lots of heat transfer to you.