[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Can I ask for the `chutes vanish at too high a speed` feature to be optional, even if only in the .cfg (apologies if it is already)?

I know it would lead to less realism but I find the game more fun without it. I don`t deploy fully during plasma effects but I like using the pilot chute to stabilise my craft.

If there is a plan for varying difficulty settings maybe it could go there?

EDIT : I would not miss the hotkey, especially if a settings icon is present.

Edited by John FX

Hi there!

Long-time lurker with a weird problem using Deadly Reentry v6.3.2 beta on 0.25 (Steam version).

For some reason, I'm getting nowhere near the amount of reentry heat damage other people are reporting on Normal.

At first I thought I was just being too careful or that returning from LKO was not generating enough heat to destroy anything, but then I tried a direct reentry from munar orbit and this was the result. (please note that the menu says v6.3.1 even though I have v6.3.2 beta installed -- is this intentional?)

There's no damage at all, I can drop all the way through the atmosphere without the heat destroying any part of my craft.

UwTSI8A.jpg

I then read something about people changing their shockwave multiplier to 1.12 to make it more difficult. For some reason I'm not able to write decimal numbers in the debug menu (it won't let me write a dot), so I changed the multiplier to 10 instead. Results were a little better.

Unshielded parts of the craft are overheating and exploding.

w7MpeQO.jpg

48ZD2DF.jpg

Once we get to the shield, ablative strength is decreasing slowly over time.

oWWuR5K.jpg

WyGkihC.jpg

Until the shield finally gives in and the command module is alsmost immediately destroyed.

NdybDhd.jpg

All in all, with a multiplier set to 10 things went pretty much as expected.

So am I the greatest Reentry Hero in history (unlikely) or is something wrong with my install (more likely)?

Here's a pastebin of output_log.txt of my first flight with default settings (multiplier set to 1): http://pastebin.com/Xr7ibpUN

I think the part you're looking for starts at around line 8760.

This is the first time I've tried Deadly Reentry, I'm also using the following other mods:

- Chatterer

- MechJeb2

- HullCameraVDS

- ProceduralFairings

Apologies about the long post and thanks for having a look!

Edited by hellbender
Formatting

Those keys are used by game anyways so you'd better not use them.

However I feel I have too many buttons on toolbar now and DRE one is rarely used. I'd have a setting which hides DRE button anywhere except KSC screen.

Not a good idea to restrict the toolbar button at this point in time because it would no longer be possible to access the debug menu if the keybinds for it went away too.

Can I ask for the `chutes vanish at too high a speed` feature to be optional, even if only in the .cfg (apologies if it is already)?

I know it would lead to less realism but I find the game more fun without it. I don`t deploy fully during plasma effects but I like using the pilot chute to stabilise my craft.

If there is a plan for varying difficulty settings maybe it could go there?

EDIT : I would not miss the hotkey, especially if a settings icon is present.

Look for the parachute multiplier. Large numbers increase survivability of the chute. Easy is set to double the value of Normal / Hard.

Hi there!

Long-time lurker with a weird problem using Deadly Reentry v6.3.2 beta on 0.25 (Steam version).

For some reason, I'm getting nowhere near the amount of reentry heat damage other people are reporting on Normal.

At first I thought I was just being too careful or that returning from LKO was not generating enough heat to destroy anything, but then I tried a direct reentry from munar orbit and this was the result. (please note that the menu says v6.3.1 even though I have v6.3.2 beta installed -- is this intentional?)

There's no damage at all, I can drop all the way through the atmosphere without the heat destroying any part of my craft.

I then read something about people changing their shockwave multiplier to 1.12 to make it more difficult. For some reason I'm not able to write decimal numbers in the debug menu (it won't let me write a dot), so I changed the multiplier to 10 instead. Results were a little better.

Unshielded parts of the craft are overheating and exploding.

Once we get to the shield, ablative strength is decreasing slowly over time.

Until the shield finally gives in and the command module is alsmost immediately destroyed.

All in all, with a multiplier set to 10 things went pretty much as expected.

So am I the greatest Reentry Hero in history (unlikely) or is something wrong with my install (more likely)?

Here's a pastebin of output_log.txt of my first flight with default settings (multiplier set to 1): http://pastebin.com/Xr7ibpUN

I think the part you're looking for starts at around line 8760.

This is the first time I've tried Deadly Reentry, I'm also using the following other mods:

- Chatterer

- MechJeb2

- HullCameraVDS

- ProceduralFairings

Apologies about the long post and thanks for having a look!

Ugh, multiple things to address in that post. The engine's maxTemp is probably too high. It should be reduced along with other parts which also requires that the engine's heat production has to be reduced as well. Unfortunately Real Fuels engine configs also try to set the heat output which undoes the reduction. I don't have an answer for that right now. Bottom line is that engines are too effective as heat shields. So basically, your engine was keeping you from being destroyed.

Shockwave multiplier of 10 is probably way too high. I don't think I need to see the log file to know what's going on but I will take a look at it later. To insert a decimal point into that field is a little tricky because it tries to parse what you're doing as you're doing it. Put the cursor in FRONT of the number. Then add the decimal. Then change the individual numbers to what you need. Bottom line, engine too effective as a shield; can't do much about it right now but would like to.

some wired problem here with the inflatable heat shield. Nice to be able to deactivate it after expanding, but the default state does not get saved. After loading the save, the inflatable appears to be wide open, while it was back in original state when i did hit F5. The Problem lies in my craft design, it's only possible to open the Heatshield OR solar modules. So when physics hit with both opened, it disassembles fast.

edit: Editing the save file did the trick (changed status=fixed to status=Locked).

Edited by Tahib

some wired problem here with the inflatable heat shield. Nice to be able to deactivate it after expanding, but the default state does not get saved. After loading the save, the inflatable appears to be wide open, while it was back in original state when i did hit F5. The Problem lies in my craft design, it's only possible to open the Heatshield OR solar modules. So when physics hit with both opened, it disassembles fast.

Unfortunately it's not an issue with the part config file so there's not much I can do about it at the moment.. I suspect that it's actually an issue with its animation and one that I don't see in other animated parts. If it ever gets inflated then deflated (either because you did so in the VAB or you edit the part config file to change its oneShot field to True) then it always thinks its inflated. Something about the way the animation was configured in Unity confuses the animation module.

I suggest using this deployable shield instead: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98178-NASA-Adaptable-Deployable-Entry-Placement-Technology-%28ADEPT%29-by-OLDD-%2826-04-14%29

Quality is 69,105% superior to DRE's inflatable and it doesn't have the state issue that the inflatable has. Win/win.

Can't get back to kerbin safelly...

Are the shuttes bad positioned?

Can you give us more information about your problem? Could you describe your reentry profile (apoapsis/periapsis before hitting atmosphere), and whether you were burning up or had crew dying from G-forces?

Ugh, multiple things to address in that post. The engine's maxTemp is probably too high. It should be reduced along with other parts which also requires that the engine's heat production has to be reduced as well. Unfortunately Real Fuels engine configs also try to set the heat output which undoes the reduction. I don't have an answer for that right now. Bottom line is that engines are too effective as heat shields. So basically, your engine was keeping you from being destroyed.

Shockwave multiplier of 10 is probably way too high. I don't think I need to see the log file to know what's going on but I will take a look at it later. To insert a decimal point into that field is a little tricky because it tries to parse what you're doing as you're doing it. Put the cursor in FRONT of the number. Then add the decimal. Then change the individual numbers to what you need. Bottom line, engine too effective as a shield; can't do much about it right now but would like to.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

EDIT: It was all my fault, I didn't install Module Manager. Everything is working now. I will go sit in a corner and think about what I've done. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Edited by hellbender
I'm an idiot

Just out of curiosity and not out of dead-horse-beating, can you say why you didn't? Want to make sure nobody else thinks it unneeded...

Actually a pretty good question.

First, I don't use many mods and none of them seemed to require Module Manager, so I didn't have it installed before. Actually I never even heard about it.

Second, On the front page of this thread, Starwaster indeed states:

Also included: Module Manager (by sarbian, swamp_ig, and ialdabaoth). See Module Manager thread for details and license and source: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219

Module Manager is required for DREC to work.

However, in my own defense, Module Manager is not included with the beta release 6.3.2, only with the latest official release 6.3.1 (I just checked).

So there you have it. In part due to my lack of reading comprehension, and in part due to the fact that I just so happened to download DRE for the very first time when it was in beta, which doesn't include the file.

At least from now on you can troubleshoot other lost souls like me who may face the same issue. This poster, for example:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96993-Deadly-Reentry-not-so-deadly

I present, the Odin Heat Shield- which strangely is not configured to act as a heat shield at all! (in fact, it's heat tolerance is rather low- probably due to the tendency of DRE to, paradoxically, *halve* the heat-resistance of high-tolerance parts)

14wzTlN.jpg

Also NathanKell and Starwahser, please forgive me for going a little off-topic (though you're both involved in maintaining/developing both mods), but this was from a Career Mode game with Real Fuels + Stockalike installed- so somehwere along the line this part not only failed to be recognized as a heat shield, it also didn't gets its LF/O storage replaced with Kero/LOX (which is what the propulsion system of the part burns, as you might have noticed).

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

However, in my own defense, Module Manager is not included with the beta release 6.3.2, only with the latest official release 6.3.1 (I just checked).

Damn it, sorry, I'll fix the download. It's supposed to be in there :(

Edit: I have no idea what the Odin heat shield is from. I'm not involved with that at all.

Edited by Starwaster

http://i.imgur.com/14wzTlN.jpg

Also NathanKell and Starwahser, please forgive me for going a little off-topic (though you're both involved in maintaining/developing both mods), but this was from a Career Mode game with Real Fuels + Stockalike installed- so somehwere along the line this part not only failed to be recognized as a heat shield, it also didn't gets its LF/O storage replaced with Kero/LOX (which is what the propulsion system of the part burns, as you might have noticed).

I have no idea what the Odin heat shield is from. I'm not involved with that at all.

According to the screenshot, the heat shield is from Tiberdyne Aerospace.

Eunito

xfUjsbn.png

Starman4308

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by
Eunito
viewpost-right.png

Can you give us more information about your problem? Could you describe your reentry profile (apoapsis/periapsis before hitting atmosphere), and whether you were burning up or had crew dying from G-forces?

I just made it to 100km above kerbin and went back down... shot taken at aproximatly 30km and pointing prograde...

Shoud the shutes be horizontal or a bit above? :S

Don't want to mess with the default settings. Just want to learn how to land safelly! :D

I just made it to 100km above kerbin and went back down... shot taken at aproximatly 30km and pointing prograde...

Don't want to mess with the default settings. Just want to learn how to land safelly! :D

You added no useful information. It looks like you may have had an overly steep suborbital trajectory based on the high surface velocity at 30km altitude, but I can't be certain. Please describe your trajectory in greater detail than "went up to 100km and back down": that could be a million things, from straight up-and-down to something nearly orbital.

I also still​ don't know what's going wrong. Is it heat? Is it excessive G-forces? Is it parachute failure? If I don't know what the problem is, how can I help you fix it?

Edited by Starman4308

I have to agree with Starman, it's unclear exactly what problem you have. Since you asked about the parachute twice I'll assume that you're having trouble in that area.

To answer the question, its placement looks ok to me as far as I can tell from that one picture and from past usage of that part. If you find that it burns up then rotate your pod to keep the parachute facing the way you came from.

Make sure you do not open the chute until your speed has dropped below approximately 350 m/s. An altitude of 7000 meters should be safe.