[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

is there a way to change the speed at which certain parachutes auto-fail? i'm using Realchutes and it seems kinda weird to have to wait till i'm below 350 m/s to deploy the drogues which by that time seems pointless?

is there any config i can change to allow for example, drogues to deploy safely at high speeds but not main chutes?

thanks

Why do you say that is pointless? 350 meters/second is about 783 MPH. I can't imaging deploying parachutes any faster than that.

Drogue chutes may be different, but you didn't say that.

is there a way to change the speed at which certain parachutes auto-fail? i'm using Realchutes and it seems kinda weird to have to wait till i'm below 350 m/s to deploy the drogues which by that time seems pointless?

is there any config i can change to allow for example, drogues to deploy safely at high speeds but not main chutes?

thanks

You should still have a fair bit of altitude left when you launch the drag chutes, no? Perhaps you're coming in too steep.

Why do you say that is pointless? 350 meters/second is about 783 MPH. I can't imaging deploying parachutes any faster than that.

Drogue chutes may be different, but you didn't say that.

You should still have a fair bit of altitude left when you launch the drag chutes, no? Perhaps you're coming in too steep.

I think that part of the problem is that prior to DRE destroying chutes, players were not penalized in any way by either stock chutes or Real Chute and could deploy at will even under circumstances that would either melt, burn or shred a real life chute. Most don't understand the limitations involved in slowing something down from supersonic or even hypersonic speeds.

DRE really only looks at the temperature side of it, which coincidentally (or not so coincidentally; real life just works that way) happens to come into play when a craft is going subsonic. Other factors that DRE doesn't look at are chute size and material vs load stress. Stupid_Chris has in the past mentioned possibly implementing that in Real Chute. Heaven help people if he does :D

(personally I'd welcome it....)

No idea who this 'Starwasher' person is that people keep seeing. (must be some kind of mass hallucination. Poor devils :()

Haha sorry, I was in a hurry and mistyped. :)

Honestly, I'm not sure right now how to achieve what you're after because there's a certain problem to overcome concerning wings placed in symmetry mode.

Is that how your wings are placed? If so, problem: Wings are rotated and not mirrored in symmetry mode. The y vector points up on one side and down on the other.

That's why, historically, we deal with wings by giving them 360 degree coverage. (except for certain parts packs where each side is represented by a separate discrete wing part)

That's a non-issue, Porkjet found that an ancient mirrorRefAxis vector property in the part configs actually works and actually mirrors your parts correctly, but only if you use very specific combination of object orientation and attachment node configuration. So yes, my wings and control surfaces are correctly mirrored and have the same directions in local space pointing up, down, forward and so on.

DRE really only looks at the temperature side of it, which coincidentally (or not so coincidentally; real life just works that way) happens to come into play when a craft is going subsonic. Other factors that DRE doesn't look at are chute size and material vs load stress. Stupid_Chris has in the past mentioned possibly implementing that in Real Chute. Heaven help people if he does :D

(personally I'd welcome it....)

I'd welcome that as well. I've seen lots of interesting ships, but many of them look stupid because they wouldn't work in real life. Same thing with the chutes

I don't understand the reason for drogue chutes at all. I just let the air slow me down to well under 350m/s and I pop the mains. I would love a reason to use them, but... They've always seemed useless.

Well, what if your ship is symmetrical enough (or asymmetrical enough) that it just tumbles when it hits air? Drogue chutes are designed (in real life) to both keep ships oriented correctly, slow it down a bit, and, sometimes to actually pull out the main chutes.

Yea, but in the game by 350m/s main chutes can pretty much do the same thing in the predeployed state.

Yes, but the drogue chutes should work at much higher speeds.

I use FAR, DRE, and RealChutes, so it makes sense to me. I suppose it depends on what mods you are playing with.

Far, Dre, and RC. Will drogues not rip off if your moving faster then 350m/s in game? If so then yea you can use drogues to slow down to 350, but if ALL chutes fail when going faster then that then drogues are not needed what so ever. If you reenter the right way ( a periapsis just low enough to capture you ) you come down like a feather.

Edited by Motokid600

Far, Dre, and RC. Will drogues not rip off if your moving faster then 350m/s in game? If so then yea you can use drogues to slow down to 350, but if ALL chutes fail when going faster then that then drogues are completely not needed what so ever.

As stated previously, drogue chutes are not treated any differently with regards to velocity by Deadly Reentry.

Also, 350 m/s is in the area of the maximum possible safe velocity for drogues.

In real life they're probably deploying at even slower velocities than that.

(so, no. They should NOT be able to work at faster velocities. 350 is already pushing the envelope of what would be realistic)

Thats okay.. believe me I have no problem with that. What I don't like however is how useless drogues are in the game. 350m/s is nothing. Like I said with the proper reentry you come down like a feather. I don't pop my mains until 2000m up at like 150m/s just so I don't have to wait as my craft floats downward. I tried drogues several times ( some of the RC chutes come with them built in ) and everytime I thought to myself as the drogues deployed, depressed then cut "wow.. that was completely pointless. I could've saved myself a little dV with only the mains."

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on using DRE and FAR together. This is my first time with DRE (and FAR, for that matter), so I'm not certain how "hard" DRE is supposed to be, and how I should adjust it due to FAR.

So far I've only been doing LKO re-entries with the MK1, and with default settings all around (DRE 6.4.0, FAR 0.14.6) the ablative shield on the MK1 is barely touched - from 250 down to maybe 240 - which seems pretty risk-free.

What sorts of ablative loss should I expect from an MK1 reentry from LKO?

I saw a few pages back Starwaster suggested:

densityExponent = 0.5

Multiplier = 20 (or higher)

shockwaveExponent = 1.12

... but the default multiplier in Hard is 1, and if I set it to 20 my vessel doesn't survive the first few hundred feet of reentry.

So!

1) If DRE in hard mode is working as expected, what sort of ablative loss should I see in an MK1 returning from LKO (with a reentry pe of ~20km)?

2) What settings are FAR users using to get the expected loss?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on using DRE and FAR together. This is my first time with DRE (and FAR, for that matter), so I'm not certain how "hard" DRE is supposed to be, and how I should adjust it due to FAR.

So far I've only been doing LKO re-entries with the MK1, and with default settings all around (DRE 6.4.0, FAR 0.14.6) the ablative shield on the MK1 is barely touched - from 250 down to maybe 240 - which seems pretty risk-free.

What sorts of ablative loss should I expect from an MK1 reentry from LKO?

I saw a few pages back Starwaster suggested:

... but the default multiplier in Hard is 1, and if I set it to 20 my vessel doesn't survive the first few hundred feet of reentry.

So!

1) If DRE in hard mode is working as expected, what sort of ablative loss should I see in an MK1 returning from LKO (with a reentry pe of ~20km)?

2) What settings are FAR users using to get the expected loss?

Thanks!

Sorry. I should have clarified that. If you applied those settings on top of the other Hard settings then you're really getting toasted

Shockwave Multiplier 1

Shockwave Exponent 1.12

Temperature Exponent 1

Multiplier 20

Density Exponent 0.5

That's an alternate method of raising the temperature

That does what?

That sets up DRE to give a reasonable level of challenge within FAR aero.

At the moment, the enhanced upper-altitude skin drag of FAR (new in the latest versions) sees craft slowing down to below Mach 5 long before they reach an altitude where heating becomes an issue. Even if DRE is set to hard, there's no danger unless you're making a suicide dive.

At the moment, we can tweak DRE's back end settings to compensate. But it would be nice to have a single toggle that returned FAR DRE to roughly the same level of threat as it had before the recent changes in FAR.

What about those of us that want "realistic" heating (as close as DRE can do, anyway) even if it means Kerbin is as safe as houses? I have attempted some reentries to Kerbin that would make Apollo veterans nervous (didn't go well, of course).

That sets up DRE to give a reasonable level of challenge within FAR aero.

At the moment, the enhanced upper-altitude skin drag of FAR (new in the latest versions) sees craft slowing down to below Mach 5 long before they reach an altitude where heating becomes an issue. Even if DRE is set to hard, there's no danger unless you're making a suicide dive.

At the moment, we can tweak DRE's back end settings to compensate. But it would be nice to have a single toggle that returned FAR DRE to roughly the same level of threat as it had before the recent changes in FAR.

Get me 10 FAR players that can agree on a group of DRE settings.

Just wondering if DRE is supposed to include heat sheilding on the new Mk3 space plane parts. I ask because I finally built one that I'm now trying to bring back down and it seems to burn up and explode pretty much as soon as it hits the upper atmosphere. I'm doing about 2200m/s at 60km which I can usually do with the Mk2 space plane parts.

Just wondering if DRE is supposed to include heat sheilding on the new Mk3 space plane parts. I ask because I finally built one that I'm now trying to bring back down and it seems to burn up and explode pretty much as soon as it hits the upper atmosphere. I'm doing about 2200m/s at 60km which I can usually do with the Mk2 space plane parts.

The shielding just hasn't made it in yet. I did write up some configs for it and they're in the next update.

You can grab it from the Github site. Link is on the front page; the file shouldn't be too hard to find. I posted it a few pages back....