[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I just put together a potential fix which I'm testing out right now. Will let you know how it works out.

I have a good test case here for something that I suspect may be hard to generate one for, and I suspect I know how to resolve it, so I figured I'd lend a hand with it :)

Do you have any mostly stock craft handy for me to test with? I got side tracked with trying to blow up my VAB.

FlowerChild, that makes sense. Squad doesn't often explode parts, so it's understandable there's bugs with it re: struts and lines.

Starwaster: thread title date fix splurg.... ;)

errr what? Oh hell...

Edit: Ok Date fixed

Edited by Starwaster

Unfortunately no. I'm testing all this with BTSM, and a good number of the parts have modified values as a result.

Eh, no biggy. I can whip up something quick... and your mention of modifying values gives me an idea for some quick hackeriness to make my testing easier. I'll just give the struts a maxTemp of oh maybe 100... 50? yeah 50.

This should do it:

yGqPZ7Fl.png

Edited by Starwaster

Yup, my fix appears to work well.

Changed the following:

if (damage >= 1.0f && !dead)
{
dead = true;
FlightLogger.eventLog.Add("[" + FormatTime(vessel.missionTime) + "] "
+ part.partInfo.title + " exceeded g-force tolerance.");

// FCMOD
if ( part is StrutConnector )
{
((StrutConnector)part).BreakJoint();
}
// END FCMOD

part.explode();
return;
}

and

if (!dead)
{
dead = true;
+ part.partInfo.title + " burned up from overheating.");
// FCMOD
{
}
// END FCMOD

part.explode();
return;
}

And it appears to work perfectly.

Turns out I was wrong about my assumption that this would apply to fuel lines as well. I anticipated having to add another test for them, but just ran my test case with the above, and all parts detached appropriately despite some fuel lines being burned up along the way.

Yup, my fix appears to work well.

Changed the following:

if (damage >= 1.0f && !dead)
{
dead = true;
+ part.partInfo.title + " exceeded g-force tolerance.");

// FCMOD
{
}
// END FCMOD

part.explode();
return;
}

and

if (!dead)
{
dead = true;
+ part.partInfo.title + " burned up from overheating.");
// FCMOD
{
}
// END FCMOD

part.explode();
return;
}

And it appears to work perfectly.

Turns out I was wrong about my assumption that this would apply to fuel lines as well. I anticipated having to add another test for them, but just ran my test case with the above, and all parts detached appropriately despite some fuel lines being burned up along the way.

Yeah I don't think fuel lines make joints. I'll stick this in and try it out.

Yeah I don't think fuel lines make joints. I'll stick this in and try it out.

It's strange because I was under the impression that fuel lines reinforced in the exact same way as struts.

I was wondering if the FuelLine class might actually be a child of StrutConnector, but visual studio is telling me it inherits directly from part. If it isn't a child, it's possible though that it has a more robust explode function (or onDestroy() ) than StrutConnector which appropriately detaches the joint.

Just noticed that the latest version of DREC doesn't have a toolbar icon - would you guys like me to make one?

(I did the icons for RealChute and BDArmory)

EDIT:

Version 1 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/179473427/icon_button_deadlyreentry_1.png

Version 2 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/179473427/icon_button_deadlyreentry_2.png

Edited by sumghai
Added candidate icons!

Just noticed that the latest version of DREC doesn't have a toolbar icon - would you guys like me to make one?

(I did the icons for RealChute and BDArmory)

EDIT:

Version 1 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/179473427/icon_button_deadlyreentry_1.png

Version 2 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/179473427/icon_button_deadlyreentry_2.png

Thanks, but lajoswinkler made some icons for us. (the toolbar wasn't supposed to be activated yet; nothing in it is functional yet)

If you haven't experienced that last one, it's a real riot. SRBs suddenly swinging inwards and smashing your fuel tanks even though you put the strongest KWR SRB separators on them)

Yeah- that one's a load of !FUN!

Is it currently filed with the Squad bug tracker? It REALLY needs to be fixed in a future update.

Regards,

Northstar

I have a major bug to report:

Crew members are dying at unreasonable G-loads. As in Jebediah dying from less than 2 G's, DURING LAUNCH...

http://i.imgur.com/9t6leLp.jpg

I've no idea what might be causing this, but I can look for any hints in the game log next time I find it...

Regards,

Northstar

Not much to go on there but ok some possibilities:

The event log is wrong. That's happened before.

Or, did you change any settings relating to crew g forces? Press alt+D+R and let's see what those settings are.

Or.... or... you put Jebediah on top of an SRB? Not just any SRB but the one that its folder says MassiveSRB? That one. Oh dear....

Edit: Ok, just noticed your staging, you didn't just stick him on top of an SRB, the craft was a little more complex than that so I don't know what sort of loads I should be expecting with it. Can you post a picture of of the craft?

Loving the flame-torch effects when things are about to overcook. Did you guys spice things up, or is that the interaction of DRE with the new KSP explosions etc?

I don't think much if anything changed with DRE's FX lately.... I think it's just KSP 0.25 making it look cooler.

Edited by Starwaster

I am having a chute problem with the latest version of Deadly Reentry. Originally, I thought this was a RealChutes problem. But further debugging shows it's a Deadly Reentry problem.

If I activate the chute using staging, it simply will not deploy, regardless of altitude or temperature. I get a spam in my mission log that my chute failed to deploy due to excessive heat, but my chute is in perfect condition visually.

If I activate the chute using the right click menu, under the same conditions, everything works fine. Using the action groups to deploy the chute works perfectly fine too. There is another thread on this issue as well:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96582-MK-16-and-Deadly-ReEntry-Question?p=1472806

Perhaps this is my mind fogging over, but are the parachute contracts possible while using deadly re-entry? They usually require altitudes and speeds far in excess of what deadly re-entry (in my limited experience) would allow.

Just asking because I am not sure whether I am running into the same bug as Zeenobit or am just not thinking clearly.

Perhaps this is my mind fogging over, but are the parachute contracts possible while using deadly re-entry? They usually require altitudes and speeds far in excess of what deadly re-entry (in my limited experience) would allow.

Just asking because I am not sure whether I am running into the same bug as Zeenobit or am just not thinking clearly.

DRE allows more than you think:

screenshot836_zps3559bef7.png

Sure they are! Deploy the parachute, the contract will complete, then DRE will burn the chute. :)

(I think)

Remember, in Science! there are no failures :P

Also, guys, about the Real Chute thing, I found it and fixed it but I'm trying to see if I can fix some other things, like saved configs reverting on quick loads or reverts. Probably push something out tonight

Starwaster, if possible can we get a mm config or something that will allow the decouplers in DRE to have tweakable decoupler force?????

I hand edit them at this time, but some mm config or other instructions to all for tweakable would be great.

Good luck with the mod. It is a "must have".....

Cheers,

DrTedAstro....

Sure they are! Deploy the parachute, the contract will complete, then DRE will burn the chute. :)

(I think)

I was afraid you would say that :wink:

It turns out it was the problem with my install destroying parachutes on deployment. Not sure what fixed it, though I removed, restarted and re-added Deadly Re-entry, I can deploy parachutes properly now. (And they fizzle up on bad re-entries, too!)

Cheers for a great mod, without it KSP would not be what it is. I shall launch more rockets! *explodes*

New update v6.2.1

Well these have been more frequent than I wanted but the Real Chute problem warranted an update. In addition there are some more fixes.

v6.2.1

*Debug Menu saves survive quick load and reverting. (added extra save function to update the loaded REENTRY_EFFECTS ConfigNode)

*Changed crewGKillChance from double to float. (fixes error in debug menu when changing this field)

*Fixed bug with RealChutes not cutting and/or spamming FlightLog

*FixedparachuteTempMult not saving from debug menu.

*Added FlowerChild's fix for StrutConnectors not destructing their

reinforcing joints when they explode.

Update is here: DeadlyReentry_v6.2.1.zip

OP update coming soon.