[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Thank you NathanKell for all the extra-crispy atmoburns and close calls, and the time & effort of letting us have this must have mod.

Don't worry, one of Nathan's final acts was to put us back on 'Original Recipe'

"Plugin will be disabled on x64"

... What exactly does that mean?

It won't function on the Windows 64 bit version of KSP which has seen an increase of instability. Squad even warns that KSP 0.25 64 bit version is more unstable than it was in 0.24.2 And there's no troubleshooting that instability from a modding standpoint, it's just outside anyone's control until Squad can put out a stable 64 bit release :(. Mod issues were hard enough to troubleshoot in a 64 bit version of 0.24.x

Edited by NathanKell
Linux is fine

Means what it says.

You recall how there's a warning when you try to download KSP Win x64 from the store ("unstable") and how there's a warning in the Update FAQ that it's unstable? Well, it is. Rather than make it *more* unstable (and be blamed for it, too) many modders have decided to disable their mods on the Windows x64 version of KSP 0.25.

If you need KSP x64, use the Linux version; that's stable.

Yes absolutely YMMV. And a deciding factor in how it varies is whether or not one heeded the advice of one Kevin Starwaster. ;)

reentry too hot? Bump those densityExponent values up. Put them at 0.85. If you feel too comfortable there then drop them a tad.

No, I mean they do not heat up AT ALL.

Even with an 0.5 exponent. They are made from undestructablium and are better than every heatshield...

Like this for example...

EDIT : This is with DRE 6 and realchutes 1.2.4 and KSP 0.25 with a fresh install of all of them in a sandbox game (in case it matters)

EDIT 2 : I have discovered that realchutes is borked in 0.25 and does not show anything in the staging. KSP 0.24.2 with DRE 5.3.2 and RC 1.2.4 shows same behaviour though. Sub zero temps at 2Km/s+ and under 25KM

zEgblYu.png

EDIT 3 : Same craft with 0.24.2 FAR DRE RC

SrXODai.png

Edited by John FX

Thanks for that explanation. I've since decided to avoid .25 for sometime. I JUST got infatuated with RSS so I'll stick with .24 for now. I'm just concerned that these last few updates I want to make aren't using something disabled in x64.

Sorry, but I have one more inquiry... 5.3 works fine with the exponent set to .85, but the fire effects on ascent bother me a bit. So I was thinking about reverting to 5.2 for the time being.. unless.. would 6.0 work for .24 x64? Or would it be disabled because of me using x64?.. despite it being KSP .24. Or is that just a stupid question to ask if a mod for .25 works for a previous version in general?

Wanderfound: you are using KSP .25, 32bit (or linux x64)?

Note that it is incompatible with:

KSP 0.24.x and below

KSP 0.25 Windows x64 (as the OP says).

Motokid600: You want 5.3.2, and set both density exponent and afx density exponent to 0.85.

Mods compiled for .25 are unlikely to work on .24, and see above for x64.

Even with an 0.5 exponent. They are made from undestructablium and are better than every heatshield...

Like this for example...

EDIT : This is with DRE 6 and realchutes 1.2.4 and KSP 0.25 with a fresh install of all of them in a sandbox game (in case it matters)

EDIT 2 : I have discovered that realchutes is borked in 0.25 and does not show anything in the staging. KSP 0.24.2 with DRE 5.3.2 and RC 1.2.4 shows same behaviour though. Sub zero temps at 2Km/s+ and under 25KM

http://i.imgur.com/zEgblYu.png

http://i.imgur.com/SrXODai.png

It thinks it is shielded. That would probably mean that its origin point is too far inside its parent..... or perhaps because the origin point is actually under the collision mesh.... I'll try giving it a reentry aero module and assign an offset value to it.... ....

hmmm......

Nathan id like to take a minute and thank you and Starwaster for all that you've done here. Especially helping me with everything and making the whole trouble shooting experience just as smooth as possible. Id be NOWHERE without you guys and I appreciate that to a great extent. Id shake both your hands if I could.

Means what it says.

You recall how there's a warning when you try to download KSP Win x64 from the store ("unstable") and how there's a warning in the Update FAQ that it's unstable? Well, it is. Rather than make it *more* unstable (and be blamed for it, too) many modders have decided to disable their mods on the Windows x64 version of KSP 0.25.

If you need KSP x64, use the Linux version; that's stable.

Interesting, I use many of the popular mods, I wonder if any of them are partially disabled when I use 64bit, it hasn't seemed to be the case.

I'll try 32bit again after the mods have been mostly updated for 0.25. Until then, I guess I'm not using this mod :(

Wanderfound: you are using KSP .25, 32bit (or linux x64)?

Note that it is incompatible with:

KSP 0.24.x and below

KSP 0.25 Windows x64 (as the OP says).

Windows, 32 bit, KSP25.

Uninstalled for now; just letting you know that there may be some issues.

Windows, 32 bit, KSP25.

Uninstalled for now; just letting you know that there may be some issues.

Impossible to troubleshoot an issue without a log file.

Please clear your download folder of all prior DRE downloads, redownload and run the game again. If you still get that error then post your output_log.txt file. (found in the KSP_Data folder in your KSP_win folder)

Like this for example...

http://i.imgur.com/zEgblYu.png

http://i.imgur.com/SrXODai.png

I think I have this fixed for the next update. (which won't be for a few days, to give everyone a chance to catch their breaths)

It seems like the raycast test was picking up the chute part in spite of sanity tests to make sure the part wasn't detecting its own colliders. Just to make sure, I also had it compare rigidbody to make sure that matched up as well... seems to be working so far.

Hey all, I'm having some serious issues with DRE and my parachutes now. I've reduced my game to just Stock KSP + DRE, and I can't keep a parachute on my ship. It's not that anything is burning up, it just gets cut every time.

I've got a craft whose purpose in life is to go up 15km and then come back down. It's a starting ship that has absolutely no ability to get into orbit. I'm descending at less than 300 m/s, and every time I deploy the stock Mk16 parachute, it gets cut instantly. I did a bunch of testing, and if my ship is going faster than 230 m/s, it will just instantly cut the chute.

Is there a setting I can tweak to make my parachute cutting a little less aggressive? I'm not even getting any overheating artifacts, just parachutes that do absolutely nothing.

Hey all, I'm having some serious issues with DRE and my parachutes now. I've reduced my game to just Stock KSP + DRE, and I can't keep a parachute on my ship. It's not that anything is burning up, it just gets cut every time.

I've got a craft whose purpose in life is to go up 15km and then come back down. It's a starting ship that has absolutely no ability to get into orbit. I'm descending at less than 300 m/s, and every time I deploy the stock Mk16 parachute, it gets cut instantly. I did a bunch of testing, and if my ship is going faster than 230 m/s, it will just instantly cut the chute.

Is there a setting I can tweak to make my parachute cutting a little less aggressive? I'm not even getting any overheating artifacts, just parachutes that do absolutely nothing.

In the game (during flight) press alt+D+R. Increase the value of Parachute Temp Mult. Click save.

Or edit your custom.cfg file and change @parachuteTempMult.

I saw the same thing when "forced" to use the Mk16 before RealChutes was 0.25 ready. Once I had the 0.25 RealChutes I immediately stopped trying to use the Mk16. The RealChute cone chute didn't do this (don't get me wrong, I can still destroy it but I have to try harder) and so I immediately forgot about it.

I wonder if it's specific to the Mk16.

I've changed @parachuteTempMult to 2 (which is 4x the default) and can confirm that the chute is not overheating... it's just cutting when you do above roughly 200m/s (I actually had a craft that was doing less than this, the chute deployed fine, then it accellerated through the atmosphere to 200ish and it cut)

Also a Mk16 (that I've noticed so far, I've only just fired up 0.25) and can confirm it's just DRE, not present with stock, but manifests in just a DRE save. here's an output log - this run had a few mods installed, but I've confirmed it using just DRE+Stock too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivrtklna104p7ty/output_log.txt?dl=0

Hello all, wondering if what I am experiencing is a known bug... no matter where in the atmosphere I am, the temperature effects don't seem to ever come into play.

The rest of Deadly Reentry works fine, as pictured, G force damage is still working and debug settings are working properly...

But at this moment, it appears that the heat effects (only the visual effects) play when in the atmosphere, the drag effects are still there, but the temperature effects are nonexistent. Does this have anything to do with the fact that right clicking on things in the atmosphere (on the way down) displays that the shockwave is none (vacuum)? I have yet to lose any parts due to temperature, or have any ablative shield loss. During the Ascent out of the atmosphere, it displays that the Shockwave is always "Ambient" but the temperature never actually increases, even with incredibly high speeds (>900 m/s) in the lower (<20km) atmosphere.

Mod list includes: BW Rocketry, FAR, Deadly Reentry, TAC, and a couple other unrelated (I think) mods.

I AM running 64 bit KSP with Deadly Reentry, but I have yet to update to .25 (because not all of my mods have been updated). However, running in 32 bit did not fix the problem.

Pics:

http://i.imgur.com/Qm5zxYb.png

http://i.imgur.com/7PAcAJU.png

http://i.imgur.com/AJlTF3r.png