[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Not sure what the problem is, but I'm currently playing with Real Solar System and the Realism Overhaul, along with all the required mods and most of the recommended ones. I installed the 4k textures as well. Everything was installed using CKAN. While I'm playing I've noticed that the entire Earth seems to be considered "grasslands" biome. I'm flying over the ocean quite clearly (literally in the middle of it) and it still says I'm flying over the grasslands when EVA or using the orbital telescope from one of the part packs. While I've yet to achieve orbit or really explore the planet to any real extent, this seems wrong to me. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Not sure if it's at all related, but KSC is also surrounded by black.. any ground not covered by a structure near the KSC has no texture and is just showing as black both at the KSC screen and when launching. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's something else that's obviously wrong I suppose.

Has anyone solved the "flickering textures" problem as shown here? It's not z-fighting because it does not always do it, and I've checked to make sure there is one model there.

Or has anyone solved the "water popping in and out" problem?

Has anyone solved the "flickering textures" problem as shown here? It's not z-fighting because it does not always do it, and I've checked to make sure there is one model there.

That is definitely z-fighting. If there's only one model there, then the model itself has one or more dodgy faces. It's the same issue I just fixed on KerbinSide's shipping crates. There's a textured face on top of or almost directly on top of another textured face.

If it isn't that, the only other thing to try is maxing out shadow quality to see if that solves it. I don't think it is the infamous shadow-draw issue though.

That's KSP. Happens on stock Kerbin too.

The flickering is happening on EVERYTHING not just the static assets. It happens on my rocket, and on the launch clamps, etc.

I'll check out shadows to see what I can discover.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you mean shadow cascade? I have that MAX in the UI. I could edit the setting CFG to set it higher I suppose.

The flickering is happening on EVERYTHING not just the static assets. It happens on my rocket, and on the launch clamps, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you mean shadow cascade? I have that MAX in the UI. I could edit the setting CFG to set it higher I suppose.

Then I have no idea. That first video shows exactly the symptom of z-fighting. And yep, I meant shadow cascade. Sorry chap, that's all I got :(

Not sure what the problem is, but I'm currently playing with Real Solar System and the Realism Overhaul, along with all the required mods and most of the recommended ones. I installed the 4k textures as well. Everything was installed using CKAN. [...]

I'm guessing you're referring to EVE and / or AVP textures? If so, then you're way over the ~3.xGB ram ceiling, which implies that you're in 64-bit, which might imply Linux.

I run KSP64 in Linux as well, and CKAN is... not universally reliable for me. Especially with the EVE / AVP texture packs and sub-mod choices. Installing the base module was ok, but I found that manually installing the texture packs was advisable. (To facilitate this alongside other mod-conflict troubleshooting, I pre-assembled the modpacks into a single GameData drop within an external folder, so all I'd have to do is merge-paste those folders and subfolders into my GameData folder of my working install. To undo this, I'd need to perform a two-step process of uninstalling EVE and any other affected mod through CKAN (since AVP textures and some options involve overwriting files in Chatterer / TextureReplacer, depending on what options you choose) and then manually deleting whatever remains of those folders that CKAN didn't remove. I can then reinstall individual mods through CKAN (Chatterer / TR / etc.) as needed.

I don't directly know how those processes would interact with biome definitions, but I do know that RSS / RO has a LOT of batched mods and dependencies. Metadata tracking (the behind-the-scenes trackers that allow CKAN to automatically coordinate mods like that) are very sensitive; even single-character typos can throw off an entire installation. Since the biome maps are so radically altered in such a setup, I'd wonder if that might be the case for you.

Disclaimer: I don't run RSS or RO, but I do run Sigma Mod Expansions (addons to Kopernicus, adding a lot of changes to the Kerbol planet locations and orbits) and I discovered that that mod that a corrupted zipfile had been uploaded by the mod author to the CKAN repository -- probably from a faulty Github pull, but that's just my own speculation. It was a fix that actually sounds a lot more complex as I describe it here: I went to the forum threads for those mods (they were bundled packages of several modlets); downloaded VIABLE zipfiles from there; decompressed and re-bundled them as the CKAN listing had apparently intended; compressed the bundle into a new zipfile; renamed the zipfile to mimic the embedded filename metadata information that the original CKAN zipfiles were supposed to have (random-seeming prefixes, possibly hexadecimal code but I'm not sure, are appended to the beginning of the zipfile filenames downloaded into the CKAN download cache); and then installed the artificially-prepared zipfile through CKAN, from its download cache. Yes, a lot of trouble, but only took a few minutes, and has the benefit of allowing me to manage future updates to the mod through CKAN, which I wouldn't be able to do if I just installed manually and ran with it. (I reported the zipfile corruption to the mod author so that future updates could correct that issue, at least.)

I at least hope that answer isn't off topic, but not only that I hope it helps.

- - - Updated - - -

OMGWTFBBQ I thought I was going crazy with this! Just recently started happening to me in a very mod-heavy Linux-64 build. Seems sensitive to KSC-scene camera angle, I even experienced darkening of the far horizon, distant hillsides of K2 and Island Runway, as well as underside of volumetric clouds (with EVE / AVP and Scatterer). Only seemed to be triggered during KSC-scene camera angles shallower than what I can only guess were 15-ish degrees from horizontal (and camera flattest possible is about 10 degrees from horizontal, so I only had a few additional degrees of downward freedom once I was shallow enough to trigger the dimming effect). I also run Camera Tools, Ambient Light Adjustment and MovieTime, so I suppose any of those mods could be culprits (especially if you happen to run the same ones.) I don't think I was accessing any of those mods at the time of the symptom, and unfortunately the test video I was recording at the time won't help show you what I'm looking at because I was tweaking with my OBS settings and the framerate and resolution I was testing just did not capture what I was seeing.

@MisterFister: Yes, this just started out of nowhere to me. I had not changed any mods. The ONE thing I did (if it's tied to something I changed) was add 2 launch pads to the same scene that already has many others, using KK. I wondered if I had gone over some kind of limit, but this started happening to my Cosmodrome scene too, and NOTHING changed there. :/

This is a very nice mod, with realism overhaul. At first I thought it was gping to be hard, but now I see it's quite easy if you know how rockets/spacecraft work irl.

Keep up the good work! :)

Edited by Drake6574

@MisterFister: Yes, this just started out of nowhere to me. I had not changed any mods. The ONE thing I did (if it's tied to something I changed) was add 2 launch pads to the same scene that already has many others, using KK. I wondered if I had gone over some kind of limit, but this started happening to my Cosmodrome scene too, and NOTHING changed there. :/

Hmmm. I managed to run my own build for the first time today a few hours ago -- I was in it for maybe twenty minutes. I gotta say, I utterly cannot replicate my own bug. I do know that 3 or 4 mod updates pushed across CKAN. Dear lord I wish there was a user-visible index on CKAN to tell us when each mod was most recently updated. It was a really limited set of circumstances, though. If you manage to capture it on a vidclip, lemme have a looksee.

Issue 1: Camera clipping plane problem, possibly adjustable using RSS cam value GUI (Alt+G), I'll look into this for RVE.

Issue 2: Is to do with adjusting the oceans to have the correct depth factor value (which for RSS sized Earth often causes issues) Best to raise this with Rbray as other than adjusting the depth factor which I can do but would make the oceans even more unrealistically transparent, the issue lies in the core mod .dlls

Hey Nathan, would it be possible if you could make a 64x config for this? It's just that I prefer to not use Realism Overhaul for everything in the game, while I still prefer using the real solar system over the Kerbol one.

Issue 2: Is to do with adjusting the oceans to have the correct depth factor value (which for RSS sized Earth often causes issues) Best to raise this with Rbray as other than adjusting the depth factor which I can do but would make the oceans even more unrealistically transparent, the issue lies in the core mod .dlls

I'm a software engineer. If I sort of knew what to change, I could change it myself. Perhaps I'll take a look. These two graphic glitches are really ruining my latest Alexandria episode. ><

- - - Updated - - -

Issue 1: Camera clipping plane problem, possibly adjustable using RSS cam value GUI (Alt+G), I'll look into this for RVE.

I loaded up the game to try messing with clipping planes and of course... now it's not happening.

Hey Nathan, would it be possible if you could make a 64x config for this? It's just that I prefer to not use Realism Overhaul for everything in the game, while I still prefer using the real solar system over the Kerbol one.
I can't, too busy. But anyone else is free to. :)

I've got one done

I'll make a thread for it once I figure out this licensing faff

hello, thanks for mod dev for all these realism mods. i've started playing it a few days ago and it makes the game so much more challenging. 1 question i have is, is the science archive supposed to still say "Kerbin"? there's no button for earth. earth sciences are shown by default with no planet is selected. i guess it's not a big deal if the record is still there, but wondering if i installed something incorrectly.

I do know that 3 or 4 mod updates pushed across CKAN. Dear lord I wish there was a user-visible index on CKAN to tell us when each mod was most recently updated.

For now, you can look in your CKAN\downloads folder and sort by "Date Modified" (at least on Windows). :)

I loaded up the game to try messing with clipping planes and of course... now it's not happening.

It's quite possible those models have dodgy faces as AlphaAsh suggested, they were really just made as a test, since I hadn't done any 3d work in years, and I never really meant to release them publicly (Just threw them at the RealKSC guys in hopes they'd clean them up a bit)

With that said though, I have never really had any z-fighting with them, like your video, although there are some holes in the mesh around the VAB.

I have a 100% clean install. The only plugin I have in my root folder is ModuleManager.2.6.6.dll, and the only folders in my GameData folder are Kopernicus, RealSolarSystem, RSS-Textures, and Squad. When I start the game, it works totally normal, except that nothing is rescaled. Am I doing something wrong?

Confession: I'm back in 0.9

But is the random noise going absolutely berserk at the poles an old, known problem? I've landed in less polar regions a long time ago, and they seemed normal enough, so I assume this mod build has them acting decently... Buuut, I'm trying to land at Shackleton Crater to start a colony utilizing water ice for ISRU, only problem is, Shackleton crater doesn't seem to like visitors:

MDUy0BQ.jpg

I've toyed around with a lot of settings in RealSolarSystem.cfg, in changing the values under "PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight" and "PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight," there was no discernable change in reaction to changing the settings in those two blocks - even when I set deformity to 0, or frequency to < 0.05. The one time I got the spikes to go away is when I set the heightmap deformity for "PQSMod_VertexHeightMap" from 29905 to 29. Then, of course, though, the terrain itself was fairly flat (since this is the setting that reads elevation from the height map) - and even then still too bumpy to land on.

Also experimented with crashing into some point further from the poles - it was rather bumpy around 50* South or so, perhaps a little too bumpy, but nothing unbelievable, so I can confirm this is a poles-only problem.

Edited by Comet Tail

I have a satellite in orbit with a perigee of ~148.5km. When not on rails, the perigee slowly decays at a rate of around 0.2m/s. Is this KSP being bad at floating point math, or something specific with RSS? At around 900km, the perigee begins going back up again, though more slowly than it decays closer to the planet.

I can provide logs/modlist/etc on request, but I wanted to make sure it's not something stupid/obvious/known beforehand.

Edit: I'm getting my numbers from KER, so that could be another source of error.

Edited by Jovus

Confession: I'm back in 0.9

But is the random noise going absolutely berserk at the poles an old, known problem? I've landed in less polar regions a long time ago, and they seemed normal enough, so I assume this mod build has them acting decently... Buuut, I'm trying to land at Shackleton Crater to start a colony utilizing water ice for ISRU, only problem is, Shackleton crater doesn't seem to like visitors:

Well, Pluto looks the same - impossibru to land.