[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

First off, I don't think I've said yet how awesome this mod is!

I've started work on the first panels for a completely enclosed space capsule simulator/cockpit. Since the start I've been torn between using the functionality and interface potential of KSP, and the realistic environment of Orbiter... I'm not torn anymore ;) I can continue development knowing that I can perform real world missions!

Anyway... on to the next issue :)

I've got the same problem that another user had earlier with the textures not displaying for the high resolution Earth. Excuse the oddly shaped screenshot, I play across three monitors.

1i1zFZF.png

I'm using a gtx 260 on windows XP (I don't get the sound popping bug on XP that I get in windows 7). Does anyone know what the max texture resolution is for a 260? I always use high res textures on Orbiter without problems...

Edited by Mulbin

Did you change anything? I don't see how it can load as red unless you changed something. If you changed the textures in PluginData make sure they're named the same (EarthColor, EarthNRM and EarthHeight) and are png or else they won't load and it'll screw up the rest as well.

Also... this can't be right can it? When I look at the image preview it is also white.

bFmfZtl.png?1

But when I open the file it is in colour.

LRNEeg9.png?1

EDIT - forgive the shameful use of MSpaint! I'm actually a graphic designer... just not on this computer :) I might have a look at the files in photoshop later in case I can see the problem.

Sure, I've been meaning to work out some more myself. If anyone's interested in Satish Dhawan Space Centre in India, here's the code for that one:

//Satish Dhawan Space Centre
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
//repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0
latitude = 13.72
longitude = 80.230278
repositionRadiusOffset = 53 //42.7000007629395
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
//radius = 79637.5
radius = 10000 // KSP: 7500
heightMapDeformity = 80 // was 75
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
latitude = 13.71
longitude = 80.24
}

Yeah, sure, I'll put it up in the morning. I'm thinking of doing a pack of different real-life launch sites for people. Is there any support for this idea?

YES!!!

That would be truly amazing!

Also, are you Australian by any chance, just wondering the interest in Woomera. (and what when you mean by 'morning')

Edited by JonSpace_CEO

Mulbin: thanks! And...awesome project! Windows Preview will render transparent areas of an image transparent. Since the EarthColor.png uses alpha as a specular map (ocean = white = shiny, land = black = matte) but alpha is usually transparent, preview renders the land transparent. Paint evidently strips the alpha on image load.

Note if you're using Photoshop you really need SuperPNG, else it will bake the alpha into layer transparency on load rather than retaining as a separate channel.

Woopert: A launch site selector/type-in-er is coming when I get back and have a chance.

JonSpace_CEO: The UK used Woomera too; that's where their missile launches (and Black Arrow shots) were done, as well as the Europa LV tests ( &*(#$&$ Coralie stage...).

I've been playing around with using Pemba (the northern island in the Zanzibar archipelago) as a launch site. (For the Germans in RftS; I'm assuming they did some deal with the Brits to add it to Deutsch-Ostafrika.) I haven't reoriented the space center yet so the runway is aligned such that runway 09 is pointed at 205 degrees, but eh.

PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = -4.97
longitude = 39.83
repositionToSphereSurface = true
repositionRadiusOffset = 2
}

The MapDecalTangent is left as-is (i.e. at the Cape).

Yeah, the Black Arrow rocket was launched at Woomera, and when I wrote that, it was ten 'o clock at night, and I had exams in the morning, so I had to go to bed :P But yeah, I'll start working on the pack tomorrow, and since I'm doing comuting GCSE, I might work on some plugin, building on the source code. (No promises), so you could have it in the stock game w/o having to download RSS.

@NathanKell I think it would be better to use the current system, because imagine you spend an hour, thirty mimutes building a rocket, then you have to spend ten minutes finding that peice of paper with the co-ordinates. Unless you'll put in a save and load feature?

Edited by Captain_Party

So if we're talking about more launch sites, I've worked out a good config for Wallops Flight Facility / Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport. The pad is placed about where Launch Pad 0B on Wallops Island is, but shifted a bit to get it closer to the water. Also, the terrain decal works fine there, but I've scaled it down so that it fits tighter around the space center.

//Wallops Flight Facility / Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
//repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0
latitude = 37.833755
longitude = -75.458177
repositionRadiusOffset = 53 //42.7000007629395
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
//radius = 79637.5
radius = 4000 // KSP: 7500
heightMapDeformity = 80 // was 75
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
latitude = 37.833755
longitude = -75.458177
}

Can anyone guess what my next two missions are going to be? :) I'm pretty sure people will get the more recent one, but the other mission I doubt people will think of.

Can anyone guess what my next two missions are going to be? :) I'm pretty sure people will get the more recent one, but the other mission I doubt people will think of.

Let me guess...

Hmm, what can you do with a 5000T to Orbit Launcher? Land on and return from the surface of Pluto? Maybe swing by and land Charon, Saturn, Titan, Enceladus, Europa, and Mars on the way back? De-orbit Deimos and Phobos? Try to smash Earth with Ceres? Hell, you could probably reach Alpha Centauri within a reasonable timeframe with that beast.

Seriously though, what did you call it, and what in the hell needs a 5 KiloTon to orbit launcher!?

Edited by Deathsoul097

Well you can't just use two clamps for hundred-ton rockets.

I use ~8-12 and so far, so good.

I know how many launch clamps I typically need for a rocket, and actually 2 clamps for a 100 ton rocket works great in RSS 5.5.

In 6.0 every rocket that worked before now collapses.

Let me guess...

Hmm, what can you do with a 5000T to Orbit Launcher? Land on and return from the surface of Pluto? Maybe swing by and land Charon, Saturn, Titan, Enceladus, Europa, and Mars on the way back? De-orbit Deimos and Phobos? Try to smash Earth with Ceres? Hell, you could probably reach Alpha Centauri within a reasonable timeframe with that beast.

Seriously though, what did you call it, and what in the hell needs a 5 KiloTon to orbit launcher!?

I was going to say 'put space stations in orbit around every world' but you're making that seem mundane...

I promised, and I shall deliver! Yeah, so here's the first edition of the RSS - LaunchSites. Nothing too fancy, just take the current 'RealSolarSystem.cfg' out of the folder in GameData and place whatever one you want in, instead. No need to change the names, it works fine. So, without further ado, here it is!

RSS - LaunchSites v1

I'd really love you all to tell me what launch sites you want. Otherwise, I won't know! They don't even have to be launch sites, RAF Bases, USAF Bases, hell, I'll put one of the Moon if it's possible :P

Edited by Captain_Party