[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

24 minutes ago, Cobrag0318 said:

Ok. I'll check it out. Raidernick did a pretty sweet job on the mod, but that script file is a jumbled mess. Not returned and indented like standard, but evidently still works. I'm guessing he's using a script editor or something. I'm simply using notepad. I'm assuming, since his script files still work, the scripts aren't exactly processed line by line. Hopefully module manager is able to find the desired modules when patching. 

Also, I read somewhere about module manager applying patches to objects already saved in a save file. This'd mean the lab I already have in orbit will update with research capabilities if/when I get the patch working?

I use Notepad++

Give it a try. I bet you won't want to go back. (like... ever)

And yes, that patch would propagate to pre-existing craft.

Edited by Starwaster

The current patch-error-reporting system does not work anywhere near optimally. So sub-optimally, in fact, that it would be better not being there in the first place. I would say that it's nice that it tells you of the error, but since that's bassically all it does, saying "it's bad" would be an understatement. In it's current state, it's akin someone who shoots down everyone elses ideas with the conversational equivalent of nukes, whilst providing zero ideas themselves, or someone saying "0m6 m4n y0ur d01n6 17 wr0n6 y0u n00b", who mysteriously loses their 'net connection everytime they're challanged (leetspeak for emphasis). Directly speaking, it's rage-inducing. Actually, I think this is the only interpreter ever to do this: every other interpreter (compilers included as they're technically interpreters themselves) will pop an window on the screen highlighting the errors even if the UI is utter scrap. To fix this, I reccomend putting the datails of the errors into the debug section of the alt+f12 menu and/or (preferably) inserting comments into the offending patch files on the end of the offending lines, saying why it's erroring.

@Delipunch Welcome to the forums ... that's quite a strong opinion you seem to have, do you have some specific examples to back it up?  The specifics of the errors are written to the debug log (which is shown in the debug screen, but things get lost in there pretty quickly.  Is there a particular patch you're having trouble debugging?

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

You did?!?? :0.0:

Yes. Not that there's anything super wrong with it. Just didn't see the need for yet another program to do something relatively so small. That and it'd sometimes mangle my savefile and often wouldn't highlight/color code things right. It was just easier, for me, to use simple notepad. Though I may try and see if it can detangle raidernick's script files. Like I said, they aren't tabbed and nested line by line. But appear to be 1 long run on line. I can tell it's still tabbed, within the runon line. So I'm guessing that's how the script engine detects a new line. But it's a pain to sort out manually. 

55 minutes ago, blowfish said:

@Delipunch Welcome to the forums ... that's quite a strong opinion you seem to have, do you have some specific examples to back it up?  The specifics of the errors are written to the debug log (which is shown in the debug screen, but things get lost in there pretty quickly.  Is there a particular patch you're having trouble debugging?

First things first, it was the principle of the matter: I mean, you at the very least implied that there's no actual log. If you wish to reproduce my results: load non-working patches. If you wish to make it easier for the uninitiated, and by extension make the whole thing more approachable: get a real log. If you wish to help me with my patches: see previous answer.  (And apologies if I sound like one of those people who demand impossible levels of support: the support I want will reduce the amount of forum support by letting patch devs support themselves)

1 hour ago, Delipunch said:

First things first, it was the principle of the matter: I mean, you at the very least implied that there's no actual log. If you wish to reproduce my results: load non-working patches. If you wish to make it easier for the uninitiated, and by extension make the whole thing more approachable: get a real log. If you wish to help me with my patches: see previous answer.  (And apologies if I sound like one of those people who demand impossible levels of support: the support I want will reduce the amount of forum support by letting patch devs support themselves)

I've debugged plenty of broken patches in the past.  As with any log messages, the results are difficult to capture in-game, but can be read easily after the fact by looking at the log (KSP.log or output_log.txt).  I'm really not sure what you're so angry about.

1 hour ago, Delipunch said:

All Module Manager errors ARE logged to a REAL log. An actual log file. If you bother to open the file up and do a search for the text [ModuleManager] (just like that, including the brackets) you will see everything that MM logged.

And that log file always exists unless logging gets explicitly disabled by the player. If you're not sure where your log files are read the following post and it will explain in detail how to find them for Windows or MacOS / Linux.

Edited by Starwaster

Notepad++ reads his script file with the correct formatting. I look through his script, identify that the science container section is the 4th MODULE entry, so I changed the index to 3, as per 4th-1=3. Nothing. I'm gonna copy FASA's Gemini MOL section and see. But I doubt it should make any difference.

actually, that did it. Not sure why. But Skylab now has the Gemini mol research capabilities. 

Edited by Cobrag0318

@Delipunch when there is an mm error the logs tell you where to find the error and even what the error is

if you haven't seen that information it means that you probably are looking in the wrong place

I am not at home right now, but if you upload the KSP.log file (found in the ksp directory) and the output_log.txt file (found in the KSP_DATA) folder I will be more than happy to point out to you where the errors are logged and how to read the log.

cheers

6 hours ago, Delipunch said:

To fix this, I reccomend putting the datails of the errors into the debug section of the alt+f12 menu and/or (preferably) inserting comments into the offending patch files on the end of the offending lines, saying why it's errori

Great idea. I just added it. 3 years ago.

I think there is something wrong. I installed RO with all of its dependent mod, but while loading KSP it says that there are 6 errors related to TestFlightRnD.cfg This never happened to me before. Any help?

Edit: This is what it looks like:

8472A20B6CE98F4BCF6800683695103ACFCA493A (1280×1024)

I don't have the Test Flight mod, so i don't know why it showed me this...

Edited by Murican_Jeb

13 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

@Murican_Jeb

That file is distributed as part of RO

cant say more than that without a (wait for it...) log file. 

Considering how often that file shows up when searched for you should probably bring it up in the RO thread. 

Log File? What things do I have to do with a log file and how do I do those things with a log file?

Edit: Ill try using the magic of CKAN to download RO

Edited by Murican_Jeb

1 hour ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Log File? What things do I have to do with a log file and how do I do those things with a log file?

Edit: Ill try using the magic of CKAN to download RO

Log file: You either read it to figure out what the trouble is on your own or you show it to someone more knowledgeable who can tell you what's wrong. That's what you do with a log file. If you'd posted one, we'd have at least 75% of everything we could possibly want to know about your installation. (for the rest, there's ModuleManager.ConfigCache. Unless the errors make MM think the cache should not be written. Which can happen)

Honestly though, about the log file? This just got covered a several posts ago. SERIOUSLY. Most of the past 10 posts before your first post have dealt with the very thing you're experiencing. Sarbian's signature even says 'no logs no support'

21 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Honestly though, about the log file? This just got covered a several posts ago. SERIOUSLY. Most of the past 10 posts before your first post have dealt with the very thing you're experiencing. Sarbian's signature even says 'no logs no support'

Sorry, please don't think i'm stupid...

Also, installing it via CKAN makes it work, so I'm lucky

Edited by Murican_Jeb

trying to allow surface samples to be taken at Level 1 in career (lvl1 = 0, lvl2 = 0.5 and lvl3 = 1) but for some reason this isn't working:

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[surfaceSample]:FINAL
{
  @requiredExperimentLevel = 0
}

Works tho when I edit the value directly in the ScienceDefs.cfg file

38 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

trying to allow surface samples to be taken at Level 1 in career (lvl1 = 0, lvl2 = 0.5 and lvl3 = 1) but for some reason this isn't working:

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[surfaceSample]:FINAL
{
}

Works tho when I edit the value directly in the ScienceDefs.cfg file

Experiment definition changes require that they be set up like this, they don't work exactly like parts:

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[surfaceSample]]
{
}

Edited by Laguna

47 minutes ago, Laguna said:

Experiment definition changes require that they be set up like this, they don't work exactly like parts:

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[surfaceSample]]
{
}

you should not add the [*]

other than that it looks ok :)

@Gaiiden

the square brackets after DEFINITION check for a variable called "name"

that's why that cfg you posted doesn't work

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

you should not add the [*]

other than that it looks ok :)

@Gaiiden

the square brackets after DEFINITION check for a variable called "name"

that's why that cfg you posted doesn't work

@Sigma88, Hmm, I got that from somewhere else in the forum...maybe the [*] is not needed anymore?  Anyway, it works fine with my 1.0.5 experiment definition (and tech tree as well) additions and changes, so dunno. :)

Just now, Laguna said:

@Sigma88, Hmm, I got that from somewhere else in the forum...maybe the [*] is not needed anymore?  Anyway, it works fine with my 1.0.5 experiment definition (and tech tree as well) additions and changes, so dunno. :)

everybody put that everywhere, but it has very little if no sense at all.

best case scenario it does nothing, worse case scenario it looks for a name and if it doesn't find one it will not apply your patch.

Haven't modded KSP in 3 years, a little rusty, and the forty seven different combinations of words I've pounded into Google isn't guiding me anywhere but here...

Is there a special syntax for modifying stock parts that I have forgotten, or that has changed?

Modified my tech tree using YongeTechTreePlugin, created another .CFG to @entryCost the parts I moved out of Start tech node, but for the life of me can't get the entry cost to apply in game...

Missing something, somewhere... 

Tried @PART[squadpart]:FINAL, tried @PART[squadpart]:FOR[mymod], tried putting nothing at all...  No dice, 0 patches applied... Something should happen, right?

If /squad gets loaded last, how do I patch it? Does it get loaded last?  That wouldn't make sense!  I can't remember how all this works, or modding being this hard! 

What am I missing? Just point in a direction!  Any direction!

Just wanted to move some parts around the tech tree, you know? Should just take a couple minutes, amirite? 

I just remembered why I quit modding things... 

3 hours ago, Ako_Vendetta said:

Haven't modded KSP in 3 years, a little rusty, and the forty seven different combinations of words I've pounded into Google isn't guiding me anywhere but here...

Is there a special syntax for modifying stock parts that I have forgotten, or that has changed?

Modified my tech tree using YongeTechTreePlugin, created another .CFG to @entryCost the parts I moved out of Start tech node, but for the life of me can't get the entry cost to apply in game...

Tried @PART[squadpart]:FINAL, tried @PART[squadpart]:FOR[mymod], tried putting nothing at all...  No dice, 0 patches applied... Something should happen, right?

If /squad gets loaded last, how do I patch it? Does it get loaded last?  That wouldn't make sense!  I can't remember how all this works, or modding being this hard! 

Just wanted to move some parts around the tech tree, you know? Should just take a couple minutes, amirite? 

Order isn't relevant to you until you start dealing with multiple mod's configs. Things like part configs (and all resource/tech/etc, etc) in the squad folder have already loaded by the time Module Manager gets to parsing config patches.

And I think it would be best if you posted the actual entire config you're trying to apply, not pseudo-config. Otherwise we have no way of troubleshooting what you're doing. (I'm assuming here that 'squadpart' is a figurative rather than literal representation of what you tried)

One last thing, make sure that file extensions aren't hidden or your config file might not really have an extension of .cfg

10 hours ago, Ako_Vendetta said:

Try using :AFTER[Squad] for your modded stock parts, that should make the changes actually happen.  I've noticed that MM patches get loaded early on, but many if not most of the stock parts get loaded last, so your patches don't have any affect.  I had trouble as well with moved and modded stock parts not working, and using :AFTER[Squad] solved the problem.