[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

It actually doesn't do anything to procedural wings currently due to some order-of-operations issues. Procedural wings seems to rescale the part after everything loads, which means that this mod misses it completely.

I only just got around to testing Kerbals in seats, and they are really wobbly. With debug output it's obvious why: for whatever reason it cannot compute the size, so all strength values end up as zero. A good workaround is to add KerbalEVA to exemptModuleType list.

Ah HAH! This is why my kerbals wobble like crazy in the rover I built! Thanks for the work around!

I'm getting an odd problem where a piece waaay up at the top of my 106-meter-tall rocket (RSS/RO) is breaking, despite there not being much above it. It was very stable when it was just that payload and two stages below it for testing, but now that I have the full rocket built, it keeps breaking before I even have a chance to launch.

I'm mucking about with the config.xml file now, but are there any particular settings I should be paying attention to? The piece that is breaking is the large probe core (used by RT as the remote command core) and the stretchy tank below it. The setup is Mk1-2 -> heat shield -> decoupler -> core -> tank. The rocket is 106 meters tall (just pokes out the top of the VAB).

It may be the result of the rocket jumping on load, with the initial shock heading up the rocket as it is held in place by the clamps. See if adding clamps partway up the rocket helps. You can try increasing the breakingForce of the part or the breakForce multipliers in the config.xml to see if that helps. I have noticed that a bunch of AIES parts suffer the same issue since they have relatively small breakingForces for their sizes.

As soon as the engineers of the Kerbin National Space Agency(my save file) came across your company(this mod), they immediatly bought all of your products(downloaded this mod) so they can stop gluing parts together with duct tape and chewing gum(jamming struts all over the rocket).

Thank you! But does this prevent the fuel tanks connected to a Tri/Quadstacker from 'dancing' once it lifts off, or struts are still necessary?

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

You'll still need some struts but not as many and you shouldn't have to use struts just to hold certain engines in place against their sometimes rather violent thrust vectoring forces. KJR makes it much easier to use lots of Mainsails without having them rip your rocket apart. :)

It also makes it much easier to use radially attached fuel tanks. Just stick them on, no struts required! (Most of the time.) The big Kethane drills will just stick on and stay put, can even mount engines to their bottoms and they'll stay put.

There's still a bit of an issue with sticking things to the ends of Stretchy Tanks, but Ferram says he's working on it.

I like using the Quantum Struts mod. A few well placed ones of those can replace a spiderweb of normal struts. Two things about them, they're super rigid so whatever forms the other sides of the "triangle" between the strut generator and where its other end touches needs to be quite rigid. Too much flex and the quantum struts can jack your rocket apart on the pad. The other thing is to not mount them on nor allow their beams to contact the really tiny mass parts like the Octagonal Cubical Strut. Weird physics happens and the ship will not rotate at all. This can be used in a beneficial way by assigning a strut in such a configuration to an action group. Turn it off before launch then when you want your ship rock steady to be docked to, turn it on. Won't need to use RCS or reaction wheel force to stay still. (I haven't actually used it as a rotation lock for docking, but have tested the effect on a simple test probe in LKO.)

The Strut Guns are also highly useful. I mount four on top of landers, around the docking port. It makes the docked crafts a whole lot more stable, especially when docking a third craft to two already docked. They can also be angled for acceleration bracing when you're docking a bunch of things together for an interplanetary trip. Quantum struts can also be used for this task. Just four of those and a clampotron Jr between two orange tanks side by side can withstand the shear forces of a mainsail or a skipper and four LV-T30's - when used with KJR.

KJR won't prevent every breakup. I pushed the parts count limit for my PC with my Duna mission. Got quite laggy in a turn and it couldn't keep up with all the calculations. Parts began to slide and.... oops, there goes a whole fifth of the ship flying off, despite the quantum struts that were holding it.

Why you lied to me... this mod does NOTHING at all. My rockets still fell apart because "Structural failure between Advanced ASAS Module, Large and Rockomax Brand Decoupler". Now I can't go to Eve to finally conquer the entire solar system, when I had alterady explored Kerbin and Duna!

Wow that sucks for you and if you're having trouble I'm sure you can get help here but you need to be responsible and provide better information without the accusatory tone.

The mod does work.

Wow that sucks for you and if you're having trouble I'm sure you can get help here but you need to be responsible and provide better information without the accusatory tone.

The mod does work.

Rock solid, this mod works. The shroud you see over the second stage engine is nothing more than procedural interstage fairings, a decoupler, and a few struts. No wobbles, no breaking.

EyFah2Q.png

Why you lied to me... this mod does NOTHING at all. My rockets still fell apart because "Structural failure between Advanced ASAS Module, Large and Rockomax Brand Decoupler". Now I can't go to Eve to finally conquer the entire solar system, when I had alterady explored Kerbin and Duna!

This game is an alpha...

Anyway, give us a pic of your rocket, otherwise you're the lier.

and I didn't see the next page button...

Edited by Deltac

He's probably not a liar, although he's very adamantly vocal about things. :) I get weird structural failures between odd components as well (like the large remote guidance unit used with RemoteTech 2 and StretchyTanks). Overall, most connections are much stronger but some components just don't want to glue together correctly.

The issue with the StretchyTanks is known to the devs and I believe it is actively being worked on. I don't know enough of the specifics to say what the exact cause is, but it's possible this same issue is making these other failures happen as well.

That's why I use this:

@PART[*]:HAS[#module[Part],~breakingForce[]]
{
breakingForce = 1000
}
@PART[*]:HAS[#module[Part],~breakingTorque[]]
{
breakingTorque = 1000
}

*Requires either ModuleManager 1.3 & Sarbian' MM Extensions OR ModuleManager 1.5

Yeah, the PART[*] and module[Part] are redundant; that's a holdover from when Sarbian's extensions were bugged and applying the patch to all nodes, not just PART nodes. Probably could take that out. Might speed startup a bit.

Try adding that cfg, and see if it works!

@Commissioner Tadpole: That issue is due to the fact that the large SAS module is set to use the stock breaking force and breaking torque which were originally intended only for 1.25m diameter parts. I'm working on something that will handle this, but that will have to wait for the next release once 0.23 is out, so I can ensure compatibility.

However, based on your complaint, I think you misunderstood the intention of this mod. It does not strengthen the joints, it stiffens them so that they don't wobble. To get the behavior you're requesting, you would be probably better served by uninstalling KJR and activating unbreakable joints in the debug menu, since that seems to be what you're after.

It seems this mod is not scaling connection strength with the stretchy fuel tanks mod. I have made a rocket about 3/4ths the size of the saturn 5 and 2/3rds the weight. it is being destroyed by excessive flexing and wobble.

It seems this mod is not scaling connection strength with the stretchy fuel tanks mod. I have made a rocket about 3/4ths the size of the saturn 5 and 2/3rds the weight. it is being destroyed by excessive flexing and wobble.

I'm pretty sure this is a known issue that should be fixed in the next release (I hope!). In the meantime, you'll have to run struts from the stretchytank to whatever's above it. I've been using 6-way B9 heavy struts for this purpose:

3pdPDoH.jpg