[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I'd suggest setting the massForAdjustment to 0.001 or similar levels as default because with the rescaled masses many utilites are under the original 0.1 (e.g docking port, batteries) and therefore are not stiffened due to their <0.1 mass causing them to pop off at launch pad.

Not sure if this mod if what is causing this but i have been asking aboot in the mods i use to find out if others are suffering the same thing.

While in space i have had SEVERAL craft suddenly loss a part, and the log is saying it struck the launchpad? WTF I'm as high up as 300km and it says i hit the launchpad? I've removed the mod and not really had it happen again, so i'm going to grab a new download and put it back in and see if it does it again.

Just a For your information thing.

Not sure if this mod if what is causing this but i have been asking aboot in the mods i use to find out if others are suffering the same thing.

While in space i have had SEVERAL craft suddenly loss a part, and the log is saying it struck the launchpad? WTF I'm as high up as 300km and it says i hit the launchpad? I've removed the mod and not really had it happen again, so i'm going to grab a new download and put it back in and see if it does it again.

Just a For your information thing.

Does it happen when reducing warp speed? If so, be sure not to reduce it too quickly. At least that's the only time it ever happened to me. So far.

Also I thought maybe it was Deadly Re-entry that was doing it.... but now that you've posted this I'm not so sure. Are you using DE?

Does it happen when reducing warp speed? If so, be sure not to reduce it too quickly. At least that's the only time it ever happened to me. So far.

Also I thought maybe it was Deadly Re-entry that was doing it.... but now that you've posted this I'm not so sure. Are you using DE?

Nope, it was jumping from ship to ship via map this time, and the others were at random times when mechjeb pulled out of warp.

I suspect that this issue is the result of physics initialization being wonky. I'm going to look into scaling the joint stiffness up from zero during physics load, with a corresponding scaling of gravity from 0 to whatever it should be at that time if it's landed or on the pad. Hopefully that will fix the issue when combined with throwing part strengths and crash tolerances through the roof for the duration of the "easing." It's probably related to the way that ships have a g-force jump when coming out of warp.

Starwaster: this is confirmed to be KJR, and was why I didn't have the top warp level be 10 million in RSS; that was a very easy way to trigger the bug.

EDIT: Ferram, per talking with asmi, the vessel is apparently moved by forces to the velocity for the frame of reference. That's why there's such a jump going to pad in RSS vs stock, and why Gs spike during loading.

Edited by NathanKell

Just wanted to say, definitely a huge fan of all your work ferram. I can confirm the issues when switching between ships. In my instance I have a ground relay rover with the commutron 88-88 and I was launching a probe and [] tabbed over to it in an attempt to direct the signal to the probe and the previously working antenna becomes debris.

So far I haven't had any phantom launch pad impacts with KJR.

I have had one parts monster of a ship come apart during a maneuver under thrust, but that was most likely due to lag and the CPU being unable to keep up with all the position and rotation calculations so it let some parts 'slip' then when it got back around to checking them it saw they were out of position and decided they no longer needed to be attached.

Alright, I've been messing with things and I think I might be making some progress on reducing the effects of the physics jerk on load.

Could anyone provide good, solid reproduction steps for the "crashing into phantom launchpads while in orbit during physics initialization" issue? I want to have a perfect reproduction case for testing, and I've only suffered this issue twice (and both while in solar orbit with RSS).

Just started playing with this today. Very nice. One thing that kinda trolled me for hours until I just figured it out was that the KW Rocketry 3.75m Ultra-Heavy Lift Subassembly for some reason had all kinds of wiggle in the fairing base which seemed to go away when I removed the part and replaced it. I'm guessing the subassemblies were carried forwards from an earlier version of KW and there's some subtle difference between the part in the subassy and the part definition in the plugin so that one works and the other one doesn't... Looking at the working craft vs the subassy that wasn't working all I see is that the KW3mExpandedFairingBase that works has "dstg = 5" while the one that doesn't has "dstg = 1" but have no idea what that means to KSP...

EDIT: Hmmm... I'm guessing that has something to do with the staging so that's probably irrelevant... I don't what else is the difference though... I'll post more info if I can replicate it...

Edited by Jim DiGriz

I've been doing some testing and I'm seeing unnaturally large wobble on just the bottom connection of Procedural Fairings' interstage part. The top node (I think -- not 100% certain on this) is okay, as is just about every other large part I've tried.

Think this issue is possible to fix?

Let me guess, since you're using the Realism Overhaul, you're connecting it to a stretchy tank, correct? That's actually an issue with stretchy tanks, where the attach node (which KJR uses to place the attach joint) isn't set unless the part shape changes. Since it never changes in flight, that means that the attach node is placed at the default position, which generally ends up deep inside the tank; that extra distance allows for more flexing. Whenever NathanKell gets the new stretchy tanks version out that should be fixed.

I only just got around to testing Kerbals in seats, and they are really wobbly. With debug output it's obvious why: for whatever reason it cannot compute the size, so all strength values end up as zero. A good workaround is to add KerbalEVA to exemptModuleType list.

I only just got around to testing Kerbals in seats, and they are really wobbly. With debug output it's obvious why: for whatever reason it cannot compute the size, so all strength values end up as zero. A good workaround is to add KerbalEVA to exemptModuleType list.

Can you confirm please that that works for you?