BSC: Albatross 3  

1. 1. BSC: Albatross 3

• antbin - Ahlbetossed 4b
    • Ekku Zakku - Ensoku
    • GusTurbo - Albatross 18
    • mcirish3 - Condor
    • Octagon - Diamond Flyer
    • Sirine - The Albatross

Replace the radial intakes with circular ones.

On a side note, I built a possible entry for this challenge but it is the ugliest thing that I've ever built.

Well, all your craft look great, so it should still look pretty good.

Octagon, that is easily my favorite entry so far, will definitely be getting my vote =3

Anywho, I've been refining my plane bit by bit, should get the entry posted tomorrow. I'm just worried about fuel moving from front to back and moving the center of lift in front of the center of mass, since I've got some reasonably long fuel tank chains. Any advice on that?

Anywho, I've been refining my plane bit by bit, should get the entry posted tomorrow. I'm just worried about fuel moving from front to back and moving the center of lift in front of the center of mass, since I've got some reasonably long fuel tank chains. Any advice on that?

Use fuel ducts to pipe the fuel from the middle to the front, then to the back. For example, if you have four tanks in series (1 in front, 4 in back connected to the engine), you wire tank 3 to tank 2, tank 2 to tank 1, and tank 1 to tank 4. This way you use the middle fuel first, so after half is gone the center of mass is back to its original place, not moved far to the back.

My entry (Goliath) does a 3 tank version of this.

Well since my craft isn't a head line any more perhaps you should check it out. It most definitely is in the spirit of the original. It can however be easily controlled up to 3x physics warp and won't tear itself apart at 4x though not sure how you define controllable at 4x. Beside it has cool curved wings. One note: I do need to updated the craft file since I forgot to put a ladder on it.

Haha now I've got everyone thinking about time warp stability / controlability! Trust me it won't be my primary judging factor. I don't really see physics time warp as something meant for atmospheric flyers (more for space craft using Ion or Nerva engines getting <1m/s of acceleration) I simply remarked that I was impressed any planes could survive it at all! Haha

Octagon, that is easily my favorite entry so far, will definitely be getting my vote =3

Really? Hmm I mean I love the look of it don't get me wrong it just doesn't feel like an "Albatross" to me. At all. I mean a Ravenspear Mk3 replacement absolutely! It would be brilliant for that but I just don't feel it for the Albatross. Of course this is why these competitions are fun because everyone sees things differently!

As of for the fuel stuff I believe engines choose fuel from furthest to closest. This means you need to 'trick' the engine into thinking both the back and front are equal distance. I was able to take a chain of 6 tanks and by routing fuel straight from tank 4 to the engine it thought 1 and 6 were equidistant and took equally from both. It then drew from 2 and 5 and finally the middle two, tank 3 and 4. Down side the fuel line is a bit unsightly, but if the engine is say not behind the fuel chain then you need a fuel line anyway and can choose any of the tanks to route from! Check out my design (the Kalbatross) and note that it burns equally from front and back!

Looking forward to your submission!

Really? Hmm I mean I love the look of it don't get me wrong it just doesn't feel like an "Albatross" to me. At all. I mean a Ravenspear Mk3 replacement absolutely! It would be brilliant for that but I just don't feel it for the Albatross. Of course this is why these competitions are fun because everyone sees things differently!

As of for the fuel stuff I believe engines choose fuel from furthest to closest. This means you need to 'trick' the engine into thinking both the back and front are equal distance. I was able to take a chain of 6 tanks and by routing fuel straight from tank 4 to the engine it thought 1 and 6 were equidistant and took equally from both. It then drew from 2 and 5 and finally the middle two, tank 3 and 4. Down side the fuel line is a bit unsightly, but if the engine is say not behind the fuel chain then you need a fuel line anyway and can choose any of the tanks to route from! Check out my design (the Kalbatross) and note that it burns equally from front and back!

Looking forward to your submission!

True, and I've often avoided voting for entries that aren't much like the stock craft (mine is similar in some ways, but still quite different), but something just makes me want to vote for his! And thanks for the fuel help, I'll try that out. A lot simpler than what I was thinking lmao, which isn't a good thing considering I'm a programmer, obviously simple solutions are obviously always better XD

Alrighty, here's my (first ever BSC) entry! I present, the Ensoku!

.craft: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29zPJqIXumrZTRpWmtXVlNOMDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This quite nimble aircraft is capable of many feats, including long range scientific surveys (full array of experiments, placed conveniently for the pilot's use), barrel-rolls, tower buzzing, and loopty-loops! Made by the Kappanese, so you know it's high quality. It's also capable of taking off on its own before the end of the runway, and is very stable, even with yaw input. Turn on SAS and it'll fly straight for days! All for just a smidge more parts than the Albatros, which is mostly just the science parts anyways.

Message from bill:

"We got this weird plane kit in from overseas yesterday, seems like top of the line technology, and we need you to test fly it! Unfortunately, Jeb's still grounded from that goo incident. I don't know if our ocean will ever be blue again. Back on track, the guys upstairs ordered this thing saying that we needed to do more science on Kerbin; apparently mapping every square centimeter of the Mun isn't enough. Anywho, we got mostly finished with it, but Jeb couldn't read the directions ended up putting the wings on backwards. We nearly had to rebuild it from scratch! The Kappanese call it "Ensoku", and our foreign intelligence guy told us that translates to "field trip". I thought we already graduated from school! - Bill

P.S. I just found out the instructions also tell you which buttons do what!

1 - Extend/retract ladders

2 - Perform SCIENCE!

3 - Extend comms antenna

4 - Deploy comms dish (ground use only!)

9 - Delete science data (Note: the lab guys won't like it if you press this button)"

Hopefully it performs up to everybody's standards, it's certainly the best plane I've ever made, and I'm quite proud of it =3 enjoy!

11/4

Another message from Bill:

WHO TOOK THE LAST PAGE OF THE MANUAL FOR THIS THING?!?! Bob flew a bit too high in a science survey yesterday and had a flameout on one of his engines... He could have avoided this if he had read the (now returned) last page of the manual, stating that the MAXIMUM RATED FLIGHT CEILING is 16 km! He did fly it at 18 km with no problems, so it's reasonably safe to go that high, but any higher is too risky for this plane. Thankfully Bob managed to recover and get back to KSC, but this is a scare that we do not want repeated. -Bill

P.S. please keep this information away from Jeb, and inform him instead that the flight ceiling is actually 5 km, just to be safe. You know we don't like him pushing the limits of what he flies.

P.P.S. Get the engineers to add some more air intakes for higher altitude flight, if needed.

Edited by Ekku Zakku

Hah, thats insane - I worried if the Albatross would gather enough attention, since it's such a goofy craft. But we allready have 26 submissions ;)

Quite a lot of really awesome designs ;)

@Blaster: You still have to tell me wich one of your designs is supposed to enter the competition!

Still ~19h left.

Looks like a cool plane and I wan to test it but I'm just getting the download in lines of text form. Could you try changing the download so that it's an actual document? Thanks (or sorry if I'm the only one with this issue.

Right-click Save As

Hah, thats insane - I worried if the Albatross would gather enough attention, since it's such a goofy craft. But we allready have 26 submissions ;)

Quite a lot of really awesome designs ;)

@Blaster: You still have to tell me wich one of your designs is supposed to enter the competition!

Still ~19h left.

The Type F, since that matches the Albatross better in its design spec.

@Xeldrak

So I think this is pretty obvious but I have been keeping pretty extensive testing records for this competition mostly to help myself keep things straight. And I was wondering how you would feel about me posting them? I have been keeping them in a Word doc which is probably how I'd upload them. Anyone who wanted to look could anyone who didn't wouldn't. I think it could be good for people to see even a subjective side by side of the crafts, especially those who didn't have the time to do anything more than look at pictures. Some of my data is also objective such as part counts, science gear included or not, description included or not, and which craft are using Turbo jets and which are using basic jets.

So Xeldrak what are your thoughts? Competition community what are your thoughts?

well here is my entry for this challenge:

LazyMoon 1

smz1JvR.jpg

full science support and pretty easy to handle while in timewarp.

no action groups included. press space and fly. :confused:

~20k is the height limit for intakes...

some flight impressions:

download:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l1bi07

Edited by spaceBrezel

@gm537: I'd be thrilled - but please wait until the the constuction phase is done. As soon as general voting, discussing and testing starts I'd love to see your notes.

Awesome will do! Thanks! Haha I guess I didn't realize the voting phase included testing. I will post it at that time!

Goose

wXV8rFE.png

Upon its debut, the Goose was heavily criticized for its unusual shape and how "It doesn't even resemble a goose!". It wasn't until the test pilots have actually flown the thing (many refuse to enter the "ugly" plane), that it was accepted into active use.

The Goose Is designed to go long distances (not really) and features:

- Even fuel distribution

- Eight engines!

- Double landing gear (inspired by GusTurbo's plane)

- Lower tailstrike hazard

- Working yaw controls

- Autonomous control

- RTG

Action groups:

1- Toggle ladder

U- Toggle lights

98 parts

Download: http://www./download/r5v151dbza1x8ms/Goose.craft

I had something cooler planned, but this one was easier to build. I might build the better looking plane after this challenge.

Edited by Giggleplex777

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.