[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

I've a problem with build 5 of SCANsat, where I'm unable to open up the map or use any of the instruments. Looking through the log I can see it being spammed by multiple identical errors: "[EXC 13:39:57.062] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I'm using multiple mods including FAR, Kethane, and Kerbal Engineer Redux. Any help would be much appreciated.

Looking through the log I can see it being spammed by multiple identical errors: "[EXC 13:39:57.062] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Open output_log.txt, find the relevant exception with complete stack trace following it, and post that here.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at SCANsat.SCANsat.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Where on the tech tree are experimental science and field science?

I think experimental science is the very last tier (it might be the only node at that level), not sure about field science.

I also have this problem, but mine seems worse. I have a satellite with the altimetry and biome sensors and also a BTDT together with a Kethane scanner. Whenever I focus on the satellite or reduce the warp to 1 it starts spinning uncontrollably. This happens without any sensor being activated. When I do manage to activate the sensors they all work perfectly, but keep on spinning.

I have found the exact cause of the problem. I had the Stayputnik with the altimetry, biome, BTDT and antenna on the four sides at right angles to each other. The altimetry and biome sensors were placed horizontally. When I activated the biome it extended through the BTDT and it is this that caused the spinning. It changed some value in the save file because the "phantom torque" was in everything from that point on, even space planes I build afterwards with stock parts and no SCANsat parts. It even persisted after I uninstalled ALL mods. The only way to get rid of it was to start a new game.

What's the range on the BTDT? I could build a rover to try and use it, but if I could use an extremely low altitude satellite on bodies with no atmosphere, that would be much better.

A couple thousand meters if memory serves. I'm pretty sure it's short enough that even a very low orbit is too far away. Maybe on some of the smallest moons it might work.

I have found the exact cause of the problem. I had the Stayputnik with the altimetry, biome, BTDT and antenna on the four sides at right angles to each other. The altimetry and biome sensors were placed horizontally. When I activated the biome it extended through the BTDT and it is this that caused the spinning. It changed some value in the save file because the "phantom torque" was in everything from that point on, even space planes I build afterwards with stock parts and no SCANsat parts. It even persisted after I uninstalled ALL mods. The only way to get rid of it was to start a new game.

I've also seen this problem. In my case, it was cause by two parts clipping each other slightly. I've never seen it carry over to other designs, though.....

I'm having troubles targeting the biome sensor array. Once placed in the ship, it's quite hard to click it, as I will always click what's behind the sensor and not the sensor itself. I usually require tens of clickings plus moving the camera to finally pop-up the window and activate it.

I've been playing 0.23 for couple of days now. Been quite sad that Mapsat is not usable anymore as I always enjoyed chasing anomalies, and it was important part od my space program. Just then i discovered this mod, and I LOVE it! It's utterly terrific. Just multiple scan sats is fantastic feature, and adding many scanner types doing different things, biome maps, idea of BTDT sensor, not to mention express development cycle it's truly one of the best mods I've know. Many thanks for great work damny!

I'm having troubles targeting the biome sensor array. Once placed in the ship, it's quite hard to click it, as I will always click what's behind the sensor and not the sensor itself. I usually require tens of clickings plus moving the camera to finally pop-up the window and activate it.

Probably won't help your current mission, but in the future, put the toggle scan in an action group. That way you can put all the sensors on one action group button and turn them on/off as needed.

Hi, is there something which determines swath width? It appears that it depends on the current altitude but I can't find any swath(?) angle.

For u guys and girls new to this mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping?p=845019&viewfull=1#post845019 added a scanner you might like its like 3 scanners in 1 it's a nice looking part.

This looks nice, but maybe you could add multiple versions of it? For example I have only the first two sensors so can't use that really.

Fabian

xZise the link was to the author of the part and what do you mean multiple versions of it if you want, I guess some 1 could put all the scanners in 1 or how ever they wanted it, by add his or her scanner it just adds the scanner to parts you still have the rest. U can open the scanners part.cfg and edit them.

EDIT open the cfg file with notepad.

I love this mod! I've been using it for several weeks and the ability to scan biomes has been game-changing. A quick suggestion though...would it be possible to include a day/night display on the map similar to the one here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html ? I think it would be really helpful for planning landings.

For u guys and girls new to this mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping?p=845019&viewfull=1#post845019 added a scanner you might like its like 3 scanners in 1 it's a nice looking part.

So author will include this model in next release, right?

I mean he woudlnt ignore such brillint work, woudlnt he?

Hi guys, I'm loving the look of this mod and I'm tempted to try it out but I'd like to know how it works with Kethane?

I can see a lot of people use both mods together, does SCANsat allow Kethane scanning on multiple probes at once?

I know it was a limitation of Kethane being able to only scan from the active ship, I'd really love it if this allowed me to run multiples.

I've a problem with build 5 of SCANsat, where I'm unable to open up the map or use any of the instruments. Looking through the log I can see it being spammed by multiple identical errors: "[EXC 13:39:57.062] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I'm using multiple mods including FAR, Kethane, and Kerbal Engineer Redux. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm having this very same issue, with the very same stuff outputted to the log. Other mods I have installed: Fusebox, Action Group Manager, Crew Manifest, Kethane, Interstellar, Module Mgr, RemoteTech, Tarsier Telescope, Texture Compressor, Enhanced Navball, Haystack, Navyfish Docking Indicator, Engineer, KAS, Alarm Clock, Joint Reinforcement, KW, MJ, Proc Fairings, Protractor, and Station Science.

So anyone else having this issue, and/or know of a fix until the author hopefully tackles it?