[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Is it a re-occuring error, or just happens a couple times near the space center transition> What version are you using?

It happens during the space center transition. and happens in-flight aswell. and sometimes crashes the game during landings. Im using the latest version

I always say this, and I feel this needs to be said here:

Make decisions because they are logical, not necessarily because they match the decisions of the majority. In this case, it can be applied both nationwide and worldwide.

Now, what is more logical: a chronological DD-MM-YYYY date format (recognized globally, cyan); or a seemingly random MM-DD-YYYY date format (recognized in only one country (as well as Belize), known to have made worst decisions possible concerning [scientific] measurement in the past)?

As a Canadian, I deal with three different formats on regular basis. However, being a (generally) scientific community, KSP Forums is not the appropriate place to argue about measurements. Let's admit it - it is stupid. Even Mexico, the home country of KSP uses DD-MM-YYYY. Shall we all agree on using one specific date format? How about we use DD-MM-YYYY, does that sound rational? What do you all think?

The US military and I think NATO uses dates like this: "7 Sep 14" to avoid misunderstandings with different countries and their own dating systems.

Edited by Tommygun

So is that September 14th, 1907? Or 2007?

THAT's why engineers and software programmer want to use YYYY-MM-DD.

On another subject... From what I can tell the Overhaul version needs another overhaul. These shots kind of kill the immersion.

screenshot26.jpg

screenshot27.jpg

Edited by Bothersome

The US military and I think NATO uses dates like this: "7 Sep 14" to avoid misunderstandings with different countries and their own dating systems.

Military uses YYYYMMDD

I cant speak for NATO though.

Ive even tried a completely new and fresh KSP install. Im still getting those damn cloud errors.

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

spamming the output_log and eventually crashes the game :(

Edited by Audon

On another subject... From what I can tell the Overhaul version needs another overhaul. These shots kind of kill the immersion.

you're using the default config file that comes with the EVE:Overhaul - replace it with one mentioned a few posts back, by me and it'll be a better experience immediately...

with that said there is a bug with EVE:Overhaul where the atmosphere rendered on the dark side of the planet has the same light emission as the atmosphere on the light side (i havent found a way to get rid of this via just config changes)

... on the date issues, the day first makes no sense first because a day alone means nothing, i have no frame of reference and i cant tell when in estimate that is happening... the year by itself lets me narrow the date down from all eternity down to 1 year, thats a great chunk of reduction right there, furthermore , a month by itself allows me to narrow the time down to 1/12th of a year once the year is known, thats a great reduction as well...

YYYY,MM,DD makes total sense... UNLESS we're communicating in a way where we can assume to alway be talking about the current year...

Edited by skbernard

skbernard, thanks for the info. I unloaded my custom atmosphere job for now and re-loaded the Overhaul EVE version and put in your posted config for the clouds. You said you were running into the sky blue band showing on the dark side. That is not happening with me. Here is a screenie of the north pole area using the Overhaul EVE atmosphere with your config.

screenshot31.jpg

Now we need to just add back the auroras and I think I'll be happy... And maybe work on the volumetric clouds a bit. I haven't looked at those with your config yet.

Also, the blue hexagon shape still shows when you're on the dark side and still in the atmosphere. It disappears after you get about 90k up. I took another screenshot but, it looks similar to the one I already posted.

Edited by Bothersome

skbernard, thanks for the info. I unloaded my custom atmosphere job for now and re-loaded the Overhaul EVE version and put in your posted config for the clouds. You said you were running into the sky blue band showing on the dark side. That is not happening with me. Here is a screenie of the north pole area using the Overhaul EVE atmosphere with your config.

That blue line is vanilla ksp functionality IIRC, the bug occurs with the planet atmosphere layer in EVE:Overhaul, the one that has the R,G,B, opacity settings and the visibility settings

I'm getting a lot of NRE's that are slowing the game down to a slideshow ;.;

(Filename: Line: -1)

(Filename: Line: -1)

Just a quick message about date formatting, the official ISO standard is YYYY-MM-DD.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

And on a side note, Im using the 7-3 version on RSS with the 6.4x config installed without any problems.

The only thing slightly annoying are the big circular spots where the surface clips through the cloud layer.

Would decreasing the volumeHexRadius solve this?

Just a quick message about date formatting, the official ISO standard is YYYY-MM-DD.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

And on a side note, Im using the 7-3 version on RSS with the 6.4x config installed without any problems.

The only thing slightly annoying are the big circular spots where the surface clips through the cloud layer.

Would decreasing the volumeHexRadius solve this?

No, increasing the number of polygons for the 2D cloud layers would, and did as I requested it for the new overhauls for this reason.

Rbray: Are cloud layers now persistent? it's wreaking havoc with my RVE config as any form of shadow layer has a completely different placement for anyone who uses it. Making it impossible to have a 3D shadow layer working on a fresh instal of the mod.

Also how can I link to your overhauls if you're no longer releasing actual overhauls but just nightlys ?

Edited by pingopete

if it is actually clipping the terrain and not something else, try making the 2d cloud layer appear at a higher elevation

but my thought is thats its something else - theres some weird dynamic that happens when you play with _FadeDist, _FadeScale, _RimDist, _RimDistSub where they all affect each other in some not clearly predictable ways (at least i havent found complete predictability in it yet)...

try this cloud layer and let me know how it works

kerbinCloud2D
{
altitude = 8400
speed = 80
layer2D
{
detailSpeed = 60
offset = 0,0,0
shadow = false
shadowOffset = 0,0,0
macroCloudMaterial
{
_Color = 1,1,1,1
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
_FalloffPow = 5
_FalloffScale = 3.5
_DetailScale = 1
_DetailOffset = 0,0,0
_DetailDist = 1
_MinLight = 2
_FadeDist = 100
_FadeScale = 100
_RimDist = 0.25
_RimDistSub = 1
}
scaledCloudMaterial
{
_Color = 1,1,1,1
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailScale = 6
_DetailOffset = 0,0,0
_DetailDist = 0.0012
_MinLight = 0.5
_FadeDist = 2.25
_FadeScale = 0.00375
_RimDist = 1
_RimDistSub = 0.01
}
}
}

Also how can I link to your overhauls if you're no longer releasing actual overhauls but just nightlys ?

no commits have been made in the past month on any branch except for the license change just released - where are you seeing nightly builds? i'm intrigued...

Edited by skbernard

I can't for the life of me find the config file for the clouds, just DLLs and a single config file that only has two lines in it.

Am I missing something that is obvious to everyone else? I did kind of install rather carelessly.

The clouds on Kerbin are keepin me from spotting "home" when I'm trying to get back and carefully aim where I end up.

I can explain exactly what I'm lookin' at on my end if need be. But maybe someone has a clever guess as to why I can't find where to turn down the cloud density I'm hoping. =)

I can't for the life of me find the config file for the clouds, just DLLs and a single config file that only has two lines in it.

Am I missing something that is obvious to everyone else? I did kind of install rather carelessly.

The clouds on Kerbin are keepin me from spotting "home" when I'm trying to get back and carefully aim where I end up.

I can explain exactly what I'm lookin' at on my end if need be. But maybe someone has a clever guess as to why I can't find where to turn down the cloud density I'm hoping. =)

its in the BoulderCo folder, either in Clouds for 7-4 version or Atmospheres for EVE:Overhaul

BoulderCo/Clouds or BoulderCo/Atmosphere

The easiest, most legible date (why am I contributing to this nonsense?) is 09SEP14. No one can screw it up, it's instantly visible and recognizable and contains all the information anyone needs. You can drop the year and make it even shorter. Also, never trust any format an engineer gives you, it will only make sense to an engineer and is usually completely impractical in practice. They see two inches of clearance, I see a bolt I can't physically reach.

Hi everyone ! I'm using EVE 7.4 on the 24.2 x64 client (Astronomer's Pack) and I've had a minor issue : the clouds for Eve and Jool are missing, while the rest is working perfectly. I've checked the config file and everything's fine there (in fact I re-dowloaded it just to be sure), the corresponding cloud textures are there as well, but nothing shows up in game and the Alt-N menu is blank for Eve and Jool. How can I fix this ? Would the Overhaul version work better ?

Btw Astronomer, are you from Paris ?

The easiest, most legible date (why am I contributing to this nonsense?) is 09SEP14. No one can screw it up, it's instantly visible and recognizable and contains all the information anyone needs. You can drop the year and make it even shorter. Also, never trust any format an engineer gives you, it will only make sense to an engineer and is usually completely impractical in practice. They see two inches of clearance, I see a bolt I can't physically reach.

Yeah, I started using the Sep 9, 2014 style format once I moved to the U.S, as people kept getting confused with my DD/MM/YYYY that I was used to in Canada. This way, I don't get confused, and no one else does to.

If you want to easily find KSC without having to mess with your atmosphere: plant flag at end of runway. Set flag as target. Instant nav beacon.