[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I've seen the cubemap support... I don't understand some texture "modes", but I assume that using 4096 x 4096 px textures now EVE can rise the 2D clouds resolution from 8x4k to 16x8k?
Is this right? the cubemap renders only the necessary "sides"? is this mode lighter in terms of memory?

48 minutes ago, Speadge said:

anything available for testing?

or do u just mean "its already in the next version coming next week"?

one could understand it as "fix has been published already" - so sorry for asking

it's in the dev build, ready for publishing. https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/x86-EVE.zip

29 minutes ago, Proot said:

I've seen the cubemap support... I don't understand some texture "modes", but I assume that using 4096 x 4096 px textures now EVE can rise the 2D clouds resolution from 8x4k to 16x8k?
Is this right? the cubemap renders only the necessary "sides"? is this mode lighter in terms of memory?

If you are using 4k textures, that would basically be 6 4k textures, so it would be more like 8x12k. The cubemap has all sides in memory, and the sides CAN'T be compressed, so I introduced the alpha-mapping feature, that allows one channel (R/G/B/A) to be used as alpha. That way, we get 3 or  4 ( depending on RGB24/RGBA32) cubemaps per cubemap. This means that for the size, it occupies the same amount that a DXT compressed texture would without alpha mapping.

The nice thing about cube-maps though is that they don't concentrate pixels at the poles (better pixel distribution) so lower resolution textures look better. I'm using a 2k texture right now, so that would be 6x4k and it looks a lot better than the 8x4k texture. I'm also not certain, but I think I read something about non-square textures occupying all pixels in the square in memory such that a 2x4 texture is still a 4x4 texture. So if that's the case, this should reduce memory usage a bit as well.

@rbray89

im just adjusting some settings and therefor taking the config in the package u linked as axample. but i found following:

Kerbin:

OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-clouds1
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 4000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_MainTex
			{
				value = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/Clouds
				type = AlphaCubeMap
				alphaMask = ALPHAMAP_R
			}

Laythe:

OBJECT
	{
		name = Laythe-Clouds1
		body = Laythe
		altitude = 6000
		speed = 0,50,0
		detailSpeed = 0,0,0
		offset = 0,0,0
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
			_DetailScale = 100
			_DistFade = 1
			_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
			_Color = 102,102,153,255
			_DetailDist = 2E-06
		}

I remember reading your post that the MainTex should be like in the kerbin-section now. did you forget to adjust that for the other planets?

4 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

This is no longer working in 1.0.4. Looks like a version number error. What version number was last build for 1.0.4?

7-04 was the last version for KSP 1.0.4.

But as i see it there should be no reason why the new version wont work for 1.0.4

Edited by Speadge

3 hours ago, Speadge said:

@rbray89

im just adjusting some settings and therefor taking the config in the package u linked as axample. but i found following:

I remember reading your post that the MainTex should be like in the kerbin-section now. did you forget to adjust that for the other planets?

Nope. This is a feature of the new ValueNode! It can be either a node or a value. Value uses the default settings for all the other parameters. I did this to maintain as much backwards compatibility as I could before i made it completely non-backwards compatible.  It does mean that you only have to remove the body node, and make some minor changes. My configs took less than a minute to do.

Eventually though, yes, The other bodies will re-use the cubemap. Just not at this time.

12 hours ago, rbray89 said:

These two changes allow us to introduce cube maps! This should address high-res issues on Macintosh machines (2k*2k textures look GREAT as it is) but will also allow some crazy levels of detail when using >2k textures.

Whoa. Holy crap... So, in layman's terms, rather than displaying a giant 8K image, you can instead use a bunch of smaller images to circumvent this limitation? Do I have that remotely correct?

2 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Whoa. Holy crap... So, in layman's terms, rather than displaying a giant 8K image, you can instead use a bunch of smaller images to circumvent this limitation? Do I have that remotely correct?

Yup!

1 hour ago, Proot said:

@rbray89 What software did you use to generate your cubemap?

http://www.reallyslick.com/blog/2015/09/making-cubemaps-from-overlapping-photos/
The section about erect2cubic

Hello rbray and everybody! 

Thanks a lot rbray for your amazing work, I don't have the word to say how amazing ksp are with EVE! 

I have a little question, and sorry if this has been asked before, I've followed the thread but I didn't find an answer... 

I'm making a preset for Reshade, and things are doing great, but while I was working on contrast and highlight, cloud's shadows was very dark and the contrast between cloud and shadow was huge! So, if it's possible, can someone explain me wich parameter in Eve's gui control the shadow's luminosity? Thanks in advance :) 

One little question, are EVE's textures in general loaded and unloaded from memory depending on the currently visible celestial bodies?

Kopernicus implemented that recently for its own textures, it's actually quite easy to do, thanks to Unity's OnBecameVisible() and OnBecameInvisible()

It seems to help a lot with memory.

Edited by Valerian

3 hours ago, Valerian said:

One little question, are EVE's textures in general loaded and unloaded from memory depending on the currently visible celestial bodies?

Kopernicus implemented that recently for its own textures, it's actually quite easy to do, thanks to Unity's OnBecameVisible() and OnBecameInvisible()

It seems to help a lot with memory.

No... I don't do this. What's the performance hit like? Now that I'm sharing textures between bodies this probably won't help much anyways though.

5 hours ago, Kermadaire said:

Hello rbray and everybody! 

Thanks a lot rbray for your amazing work, I don't have the word to say how amazing ksp are with EVE! 

I have a little question, and sorry if this has been asked before, I've followed the thread but I didn't find an answer... 

I'm making a preset for Reshade, and things are doing great, but while I was working on contrast and highlight, cloud's shadows was very dark and the contrast between cloud and shadow was huge! So, if it's possible, can someone explain me wich parameter in Eve's gui control the shadow's luminosity? Thanks in advance :) 

Its the only param in the shadowMaterial.

4 hours ago, Aegrim said:

Aren't shadows just as dark as unity renders them?

Not exactly... Typically shadows are generated by geometry. However, transparent textures mess this up. Not to mention the mapping of the UV. So transparent objects don't cast shadows usually. To get around this, we use a projector that darkens everything that the cloud coverage maps down to.

20 hours ago, Speadge said:

7-04 was the last version for KSP 1.0.4.

But as i see it there should be no reason why the new version wont work for 1.0.4

That version number is not listed on CKAN. Do not mean version EVE version number 7-4?

What I am seeing in the CKAN file search is.

Running KSP 1.0.4

EVE version number is 7-4

With low resolution config version number also 7-4 installed it works.

High resolution file is listed as EVE-1.05-1 installed is does not work. This in my problem right here. Can't get high resolution in 1.0.4 at all. 

When running with KSP 1.0.5

EVE version is now 1:EVE-1.05-4 and there is only one config file also marked 1:EVE-1.05-4

I am think the character string version numbers are messing up the CKAN bot. Any advice? 

19 hours ago, Proot said:

@rbray89 What software did you use to generate your cubemap?

17 hours ago, rbray89 said:

I also use Hugin and it works really well. At this time I've been using it to stitch procedurally generated cube-maps into the equi-rectangular images that EVE previously required but I am sure that it does the reverse just as well.

On 9/12/2015, 12:04:25, rbray89 said:

Alrighty... So a slew of updates coming soon... unfortunately, there will be a big config change, but it will also allow better ModuleManager support.
The new format is something like

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-clouds1
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 4000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_MainTex
			{
				value = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/Clouds
				type = AlphaCubeMap
				alphaMask = ALPHAMAP_R
			}
		}

TEXTURE_CONFIG
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/Clouds
		format=RGB24
		isCubeMap=True
		texXn=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsXn
		texYn=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsYn
		texZn=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsZn
		texXp=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsXp
		texYp=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsYp
		texZp=BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/CloudsZp
	}
}

You'll also notice that the _MainTex has a new form... this is an optional form for textures where more parameters can be edited. 

I've also added a new Texture Config Manager that allows detailed control over textures. No more relying on ATM and whatnot to ensure textures shipped in EVE configs are setup properly.

These two changes allow us to introduce cube maps! This should address high-res issues on Macintosh machines (2k*2k textures look GREAT as it is) but will also allow some crazy levels of detail when using >2k textures.

To save memory, we now allow alpha mapping (using RGB of textures to map to alpha). This allows us to use the same texture for multiple cloud maps! It just has to be created properly, and I would recommend using RGB24/RGBA32 as the format to avoid loss with Compressed textures. If you do use the uncompressed versions with alpha mapping, the memory will be the same, but the quality should be noticeably better! Expect pretty poor quality alpha if using DXT, but a QUARTER/THIRD of the memory usage when combined with alpha mapping.

The GUI is also very slick now, being almost entirely procedurally built, allowing me to focus on other tasks rather than GUI maintenance, and I've been building lots of awesome functionality into it, so hopefully it will save me lots of time going forward. 

I'll probably post this update within the next week, along with a nice surprise! 

After that, I'll be working on lighting. Specifically celestial shadows and clouds.

oh this is great! :D

Hi guys. im back at ksp after year of hiatus, lol dunno if thats actuaaly a word. But heres my problem. My current pc sucks and it cant handle these clouds when im on  a planet lets say kerbin.

But i do like to have them when im orbiting high enough, u know like 350km above kerbin.. or if im goofin around the mun,kerbin just looks like way better with this.

So how can i disable and re enable clouds easily with the GUI? Or better yet, can i make it so that clouds would wanish automatically when im closin in a planet.

plz help.

I noticed that one of the more recent versions of EVE said there would be some dark shader issues on OpenGL, but I wasn't expecting anything like this. Am I just dumb or is something wrong here.

Spoiler

woDTckj.png

4 hours ago, Jarkko279 said:

Hi guys. im back at ksp after year of hiatus, lol dunno if thats actuaaly a word. But heres my problem. My current pc sucks and it cant handle these clouds when im on  a planet lets say kerbin.

But i do like to have them when im orbiting high enough, u know like 350km above kerbin.. or if im goofin around the mun,kerbin just looks like way better with this.

So how can i disable and re enable clouds easily with the GUI? Or better yet, can i make it so that clouds would wanish automatically when im closin in a planet.

plz help.

Use texture replacer instead.

9 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Is there any way of removing City Lights from Mun without removing them completely because i really like them on Kerbin. They only appear in vessel view on the Mun but not in map view. Any help with this?

What version are you using? Log files?