[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

rbray, would it be alright if I distributed an Alternis-specific setup for your mod? Same base DLLs, but new textures specific to everything changed in my solar system. Or would you prefer if I make just a texture/cfg pack for it and direct people to download it here instead, then install my textures over the base ones?

rbray, would it be alright if I distributed an Alternis-specific setup for your mod? Same base DLLs, but new textures specific to everything changed in my solar system. Or would you prefer if I make just a texture/cfg pack for it and direct people to download it here instead, then install my textures over the base ones?

Sure, the license permits basically any distribution. If you want, I can add a section to the config as I did for Krag's Planet Factory mod, then all you have to do is supply the textures into your mod's folder.

Sure, the license permits basically any distribution. If you want, I can add a section to the config as I did for Krag's Planet Factory mod, then all you have to do is supply the textures into your mod's folder.

Would that even work? Considering it changes only the existing bodies, it seems like that would just give tylo clouds in stock or something :sticktongue:

I'm gonna be using my own big textures anyway, and would rather not make the normal download for VE any bigger.

That's going to be really nice to have. I really don't like using replacement textures, where I have to swap out or replace textures, it seems to be a hassle. I rather just put in a DLL and have it do the work for me.

KW is pretty hefty. I have to set aside some time for the updates to the memory reduction mod. I plan to make all other texture reduction packs obsolete with a single DLL :)

Would that even work? Considering it changes only the existing bodies, it seems like that would just give tylo clouds in stock or something :sticktongue:

I'm gonna be using my own big textures anyway, and would rather not make the normal download for VE any bigger.

Ah... you don't rename the bodies do you... The textures can be used from any folder, so you can keep the textures in the distribution of your Alternis mod. I would just have to figure out how to determine which layouts to use... It would probably just be easier for you to re-distribute textures/config/dll files.

Ah... you don't rename the bodies do you... The textures can be used from any folder, so you can keep the textures in the distribution of your Alternis mod. I would just have to figure out how to determine which layouts to use... It would probably just be easier for you to re-distribute textures/config/dll files.

Yeah, I'm just setting up a new mod folder in GameData called AlternisKerbolVE and changing all the texture paths, then including the dlls and cfgs in there.

Edit: Actually I think I need to compile a bit of a homebrew for this, since it tries to find common.cfg in BoulderCo, so I need to change that path I think.

Edit2: Okay it's actually ALL of the cfgs, so for now I guess I'll just name the folder BoulderCo

Edit3: Why's this thing going on about userCloudLayers? That file isn't included in the zip, and I can't just make an empty one unfortunately, it makes the whole system go haywire.

Edit4: Okay the last thing was just me being dumb, disregard.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Loving the 8K textures, any way we can convince you to make the TGAs 24 bit RLE compressed instead of the current 32 bit uncompressed? At least for that kerbin1 TGA. 103mb is a big pill to swallow.

edit: a 24 bit RLE version of that kerbin1 texture brings it down to just 4.5mb with no noticeable degradation in quality

edit2: We're also still getting a seam: http://i.imgur.com/DgyuInF.jpg

edit3: Also I don't appear to be showing clouds on Duna? Is that normal?

Edited by Franklin

Loving the 8K textures, any way we can convince you to make the TGAs 24 bit RLE compressed instead of the current 32 bit uncompressed? At least for that kerbin1 TGA. 103mb is a big pill to swallow.

edit: a 24 bit RLE version of that kerbin1 texture brings it down to just 4.5mb with no noticeable degradation in quality

edit2: We're also still getting a seam: http://i.imgur.com/DgyuInF.jpg

edit3: Also I don't appear to be showing clouds on Duna? Is that normal?

That seam is not related to the shader. It is likely not a seamless texture or probably a weird config issue. Try deleting the old folder completely and re-installing.

I moved to a PNG for the main texture, and added code to force mipmap generation.

PNG file should help with adding those other part mods and not getting a crash.

That seam is not related to the shader. It is likely not a seamless texture or probably a weird config issue. Try deleting the old folder completely and re-installing.

I moved to a PNG for the main texture, and added code to force mipmap generation.

Thanks for the file change, anything to make these texture-heavy mods smaller is great by me.

I'm still getting the seam, so I guess it's that your cloud texture is not seamless: http://i.imgur.com/MwyeuRZ.jpg

I love the new cloud layer in 6.6! I was using the 8k NASA clouds by papics, but really liked the look of the default 8k now in the mod. I did notice an odd symmetrical line where the clouds met and the formations simply repeated backwards like a cloud ink blot. Is this intentional? It looks really odd when that zone rolls around.

Thank you for the frequent updates. I can't imagine playing without this.

I love the new cloud layer in 6.6! I was using the 8k NASA clouds by papics, but really liked the look of the default 8k now in the mod. I did notice an odd symmetrical line where the clouds met and the formations simply repeated backwards like a cloud ink blot. Is this intentional? It looks really odd when that zone rolls around.

Could be that the mod needs to be re-installed. Try deleting the old folder entirely and re-installing.

It is also there in my cloud layer... NASA's fault, they were too lazy to photoshop that part to seamless...

It is also there in my cloud layer... NASA's fault, they were too lazy to photoshop that part to seamless...

Heh. I totally get that --but it wasn't so much a seam, rather an actual mirror image of the clouds that began at a certain point with the clouds to the left being repeated in reverse to the right. very odd. I'll see if I can get a shot.

What's up with this 6-7? I don't see any notes, and the download has the changes listed the same as 6-6. Is it just the conversion of the Kerbin1 to a PNG?

essentially. I made a code change that generates mipmaps for pngs so they can be used with my mod.

I fixed the lack of tiling and a couple other artifacts in the image. It's about half a meg larger but looks twice as good. ;)

Feel free, of course, to use it in any way you see fit including putting it in the base install.

EDIT: I looked at it in-game (in the map mode) and saw NO tearing at all. Looked beautiful both in the map and on the ground.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Would that code apply to all PNGs loaded by the game or just by your mod? Would be nice if TextureReplacer had something similar. TGAs are too unwieldy due to the 4gb limit.

Just this mod, but my other mod will have the update sooner rather than later.

As of 6.7 I only get about 1/10th of a planet worth of clouds:

c2061rp.png

This is on a "fresh" install of the mod. Worked fine in the most previous version I was using (6.4). This occurs with no other mods (beyond a handful of my flags), and I have plenty of memory left (the system has 16GBs, so Unity /should/ able to use whatever its addressing space allows). This was also a problem when I attempted to use Papics' 8k clouds prior to your inclusion of that texture into the mod. I had written that off as possibly a download error on the part of the texture, but I suppose not. If I copy over the smaller kerbin1 cloud from 6.4 the issue goes away (but has the obvious texture repetition).

Edit: Incidentally, resizing the new kerbin1 texture to 4k also makes it "small enough" to work. 8.7MB vs 30MB.... Sure, it's not the full 8k, but it's a possible work around if anybody else hits this. So far I have only tested 6.7 on OS-X, though the previous 8k issue also occurred on Linux.

Edited by Cydonian Monk