[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

Hey, I think that I have found a bug, but I am not sure whether or not it has allready been mentioned in this thread. Anyway, when I use the shuttle engines on a spacecraft, the COM shows normally, but once I open the tweakables menu on the variable pitch engine, the COM blinks once and dissapears. The only way to bring it back is to remove, and replace the part. Any help would be appreciated. And, by the way, the parts look great!

Hey, I think that I have found a bug, but I am not sure whether or not it has allready been mentioned in this thread. Anyway, when I use the shuttle engines on a spacecraft, the COM shows normally, but once I open the tweakables menu on the variable pitch engine, the COM blinks once and dissapears. The only way to bring it back is to remove, and replace the part. Any help would be appreciated. And, by the way, the parts look great!

Quite strange. It happens even for the OMS engines, which are really not using any of the new gimbal code but only sock code. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Is that possible to allow (in a config file) roll control to be enabled by default? I'm using this plugin for gimballing engines specifically meant for roll control and having to turn it on every time is kind of annoying.

Quite strange. It happens even for the OMS engines, which are really not using any of the new gimbal code but only sock code. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Glad to help

Oh... I don't think taht works (actually I do know it doesn't). The trim is set via tweakables. Is there another way to set gereral trim in KSP?

Well, the tweakables trim is for enabling/disabling pitch, yaw and roll. The alt+a/w/s/d/q/e is for setting how the control surfaces and reaction wheels behave by default, so if your craft is slightly unbalanced and noses down, you can press alt+s and it will always pitch up a little, removing the need for constantly pressing s.

Am i the only one who feels the X3 should be in Heavier Rocketry? I feel that it being in very heavy rocketry is a little late in the tree. I honestly hope i'm not cheating by editing the config so it will be in Heavier Rocketry..

They are in the same TWR and efficiency range as the Mainsail. Therefore, I put them to Heavier Rocketry. Go ahead and edit the files if you want ;-)

A new version is out.

V0.9.2 Updated Smart Parts and Fixes

* Heading control over radio

* Improved altimeter device (thanks to Firov)

* Bugfix in the timer code

* Corrected size descriptions of fuel breakers and tanks

* Fixed bug with engine tweakables that made the CoM disappear

* Increased the weight of the OMS engines to match the TWR of the LV-909

* Reduced the heat production of the X3 engine

* Updated Firefly example craft (was broken)

Is that possible to allow (in a config file) roll control to be enabled by default? I'm using this plugin for gimballing engines specifically meant for roll control and having to turn it on every time is kind of annoying.

Yes that is possible just add

enableRoll = true

to the KM_Gimbal module in the part config file of the engine (e.g., GameData\Klockheed_Martian\Parts\Shuttle Engine X3\part.cfg).

For example:

MODULE
{
name = KM_Gimbal
gimbalTransformName = gimbal
debug = true
yawGimbalRange = 1
pitchGimbalRange = 14
enableRoll = true
}

Other options that you should be able to preset are:

enableTrim = true

enableGimbal = true

responseSpeed = 60 (or any other integer)

trimX = 5 (or any other integer lower than the pitchGimbalRange. Negative trim is also possible.)

Excellent piece of automatization! :cool:

However a triplet of design flaws were detected:

1) Altimeter doesn't let one to choose less then 6 km in "km" mode (though one usually want to deploy drogue chutes at 4-3km).

2) Altimeter doesn't let one to choose more then 100m in "m" mode (though one usually want to deploy main chutes between 1km-700m).

3) "Gears" action group is missing from the list (though one obviously want to deploy landing gears before actually landing). :rolleyes:

Excellent piece of automatization! :cool:

However a triplet of design flaws were detected:

1) Altimeter doesn't let one to choose less then 6 km in "km" mode (though one usually want to deploy drogue chutes at 4-3km).

2) Altimeter doesn't let one to choose more then 100m in "m" mode (though one usually want to deploy main chutes between 1km-700m).

3) "Gears" action group is missing from the list (though one obviously want to deploy landing gears before actually landing). :rolleyes:

1 and 2) Yes. That is because of the strange implementation of the gauge tweakable. I might try to do someting else in the future.

3) is in the readme. The gears action grouop does not work reliably. Assign your gears to any other action group and fire that group. This works reliably.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Loving the mod so far!

Would love to have a action group to be able to change the pitch of the engines.

Such as using [1] to decrease pitch of all three shuttle engines and using [2] to increase pitch.

That shoudl be fairly easy, I think. Do you mean per engine or for all engines at the same craft? The first one is more difficult to achieve with a part mod.

i have B9 installed and only the Firefly is availble

Weird, did you do a clean install recently? I updated the example craft files in the latest two updates. Could it be that you are still using an old craft file?

its the first time that i use the mod

Ok, I found the issue. one of the old timer models was still attached to the Explorer Craft. I'll upload a fixed zip file. Without procedural dynamics (wings) only Firefly and Explorer are available.

Great, thanks. Would you mind of I would append this to the first post?

Feel free, you worked hard to make this mod. I just wanted to give something back.

Would anybody be so kind as to share some FAR compatible craft files? I am having problems getting a shuttle to be capable of reliable reentry, whereas the ascent is no problem at all.

Hmm, if you had said Deadly Reentry I'd understand. The easiest way to re-enter with far is simply to point yourself into your prograde or retrograde vector and then just turn off your SAS. If after that you are flipping, redistribute your fuel weight to the front or rear of your craft, depending on the shape, but you might need to redistribute it again. Sorry, I know you asked for a file but the best I can give you is some advice. You should mention what kind of parts you can accept, did you want a stock craft?

Edited by Hyomoto

A new update is out.

V0.9.4 Smart Parts Update and Bufix of Explorer craft

* Added example craft for smart parts

* Minor fixes for smart parts

* Fixed Explorer example craft

* New KM_Lib.dll

Check the smart parts forum entry for a example video: LINK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.