[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

I mainly use the X0 engine on the things that come out of the cargobay but I will see if I can make a minicraft. Oh and the dropbox link is for the 0.8 version.:wink:

Oops, you're right. I changed the link. Should be OK now.

I'd be very interested to see what comes out of your cargo bay, too. I love to see things that were made with these parts. Especially if people do creative things.

I'd be very interested to see what comes out of your cargo bay, too. I love to see things that were made with these parts. Especially if people do creative things.

Very W.I.P., because as soon as it smells freedoms it will flip out and die...

Perhaps the slower control surfaces of 0.23 will fix that.

YaGComC.jpg?1

HtFxWQy.jpg?1

And I forgot, the X0 is on my Duna base landers but I am waiting to launch those until I got some more free time.

PMMmIxB.png?1

7wnhocH.png?1

The inflatable hab is from a W.I.P. mod by Porkjet if anyone is interested. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57662-WIP-Inflatable-Hab-Module

Edited by 4nxs

Very W.I.P., because as soon as it smells freedoms it will flip out and die...

Hmm. I don't think the x0 is a good choice for this design. It's supposed to compensate a offset in the CoM. Your CoM seems to close to the center axis of the engine. It might fly well if it was more heavy at its belly (e.g., with an extendable fuel tank).

7wnhocH.png?1

This looks really cool. Nice use of the radial attachment points!

Edited by dtobi

Hmm. I don't think the x0 is a good choice for this design. It's supposed to compensate a offset in the CoM. Your CoM seems to close to the center axis of the engine. It might fly well if it was more heavy at its belly (e.g., with an extendable fuel tank).!

I will be launched shuttlestyle but I test the gliding return part of a shuttle's design before making the tank on the belly. Right now, thats the part that's not working so well.:(

I will be launched shuttlestyle but I test the gliding return part of a shuttle's design before making the tank on the belly. Right now, thats the part that's not working so well.:(

I see. Are you testing with an emptied tank? Getting the tank empty for glide testing was a big pain for me always.

The design with the trail control surfaces looks really neat.

Yes, it is stuck with a grider on a lifter. While on the lauchpad the engine runs till empty and than I take up to altitude with the lifter. This only works because its tiny enough that the wings don't matter during launch. With the bigger ones I do a full trial run, so with the whole setup.

And btw, very nice mod, looking forward to see what's next.

This mod does not work right now because the smart gimbal plugin is broken. I'll write a new one once I have the time to do so.

Would anyone be interested in a quickfix? The normal gimbal does the job, too. It just doesn't restrict the yaw axis as much.

This mod does not work right now because the smart gimbal plugin is broken. I'll write a new one once I have the time to do so.

Would anyone be interested in a quickfix? The normal gimbal does the job, too. It just doesn't restrict the yaw axis as much.

A quick fix would be great, I've been really missing this mod.

Updated for .23 compatibility.

Changelog:

V0.8.2 - 0.23 Compatibility

* Reverted to normal gimbal logic. It does not feel and look like the previous logic but it works.

* Adjusted attachment node positions. Squad has finally fixed the attachment node vectors.

Hello, someone please tell me how this mod correctly installed when B9 aerospace pack? Game after install these modes falls.

Game Version 0.23

Installed mods: KW Rocketry, Universe replacer, clouds and city lights.

Sorry for my english :D

You may be running into the maximum amount of memory KSP can use. Try using the KWRocketry, Squad and B9 texture reduction packs.

Also I'll have to take some new vehicle shots since I made it into the album. Everybody here has been making some cool stuff.

Hello, someone please tell me how this mod correctly installed when B9 aerospace pack? Game after install these modes falls.

Game Version 0.23

Installed mods: KW Rocketry, Universe replacer, clouds and city lights.

Sorry for my english :D

There is no real interdependency between SSE and any of these mods. The only dependency is that some of the example craft use B9 parts.

If your game crashes, try to look at the readme of B9. It tells you how to use its reduced textures. Otherwise Sugois suggestion should also help.

Cheers!

Also I'll have to take some new vehicle shots since I made it into the album. Everybody here has been making some cool stuff.

Oh! Looking so forward to it! Actually, seeing people using and liking the mood is my main reward for doing this.

Hey Dtobi, I've got an idea for expanding this mod. It would be great if we had some engines that have large gimbal ranges but are not inclined. This would allow us to do Buran-style shuttles as well as Shuttle-style shuttles.

Hey Dtobi, I've got an idea for expanding this mod. It would be great if we had some engines that have large gimbal ranges but are not inclined. This would allow us to do Buran-style shuttles as well as Shuttle-style shuttles.

I wonder what you'll say to the next release. I've got an linear aerospike coming. Not inclined but huge gimbal range (x axis, not y axis).

EDIT: You can always use the BB1 and rotate it to its straight position on the launchpad. It will give you an engine with an 8° gimbal range on the x axis without inclination.

I wonder what you'll say to the next release. I've got an linear aerospike coming. Not inclined but huge gimbal range (x axis, not y axis).

EDIT: You can always use the BB1 and rotate it to its straight position on the launchpad. It will give you an engine with an 8° gimbal range on the x axis without inclination.

Wooo, that sounds great! There aren't enough linear aerospikes in KSP. And then we get one that can be used for shuttles. You knoww what?

-GIANT REACTION PICTURE-

EDIT: That was a little larger than expected.

Edited by DYJ
Removed giant reaction pic.

Thanks. The update might be ready later tonight or around Christmas. I've written an entirely new gimbal module that can properly limit yaw and pitch and that does a better job at rolling. It will be the heart of the mod.

However, gimbal logic can be complex, so it took a while to get it done properly. 99% works. Now I am implementing x axis trimming to make it easier to work with the aerospike. Otherwise the game SAS logic seems to not fully utilize its wide gimbal range fully.

Thanks. The update might be ready later tonight or around Christmas. I've written an entirely new gimbal module that can properly limit yaw and pitch and that does a better job at rolling. It will be the heart of the mod.

However, gimbal logic can be complex, so it took a while to get it done properly. 99% works. Now I am implementing x axis trimming to make it easier to work with the aerospike. Otherwise the game SAS logic seems to not fully utilize its wide gimbal range fully.

This linear aerospike sounds great. So far the only mod that adds one is RLA Stockalike, and it's an extremely small one. How large is the one you're planning on adding? Or do you plan on implementing a couple of different sizes, for example, 1.25 meter and 2.5 meter, etc?

I'm curious about the "large gimbal range" this motor is going to have. How does it it achieve this gimbal? To my knowledge, the two ways to get a linear aerospike motor to effectively gimbal involves either altering the thrust of one side or ejecting gas from the spike to adjust the flow pattern. If it's the first, does gimbaling the motor actually result in decreased thrust?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.