[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

What the .. auto stage thingies ? ? what the ..even with action groups?

Those little buggers deserve a thread on their own, if you ask me heh! :cool:

Oh btw, i can confirm, the new BB does not lag, while the rotating one seems heavy on the cpu.

Edited by Thourion

I started my first shuttle!

Only problem is, they always collide into the shuttle- even with little seperator boosters :(

Gregbert seems to like it!

I know the problem with the collisions. More separation boosters typically help. Look at the example craft. They have working booster separation. However, your boosters look much larger than mine!

Edited by dtobi

What the .. auto stage thingies ? ? what the ..even with action groups?

Those little buggers deserve a thread on their own, if you ask me heh! :cool:

Oh btw, i can confirm, the new BB does not lag, while the rotating one seems heavy on the cpu.

I might make some more parts like the auto stagers. If so, I'll make a separate pack of these. Right now, all parts in here make a shuttle designer's life easier (without taking away the fun, I hope).

Hmmm... It might also be the collider that causes the other engine to lag. I'll try to change it with the next release.

It is the same for all engines. Even stock engines don't gimbal when you activate them with an action group. I don't know how to fix that. Sorry.

Heh. Really? I guess it took having engines that can visibly gimbal 15+ degrees to notice that bug with the stock game. Oh well, it's not too hard to work around.

Also, I'm looking forward to playing with that auto-staging device too. I don't think I need it for my shuttle, since it usually still has fuel by the time I drop the tank, but I imagine it will be useful elsewhere.

I'll first review the drag values of the stock parts and of B9. These have been my reference so far. Maybe the values for the small and large sizes are off. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

The thing is that EVERYTHING has a drag vslue of 0.2, except for nosecones, parachutes, aerospikes, docking ports and a few other things. The problem with making the tank nosecones have the same drag as the normal nosecones is, that it will offset the center of drag from the center of mass, which will destabilize a shuttle, as the cockpits all have a drag coefficiency of 0.2.

dtobi, how you did that?

Simply add: [ imgur]#imgurID[/imgur].

In your case: [ imgur]nGl9N[/imgur].

Just delete the spaces in the brackets before you submit it. I need the spaces to not let it display the album here.

would it be possible to modify the OMS to use RCS fuel?

Easy. Go into the cfg file of the OMS, then find the engine module. Inside the engine module, there'll be two resource modules. Remove one of them, and replace the other with MonoPropellant.

I've got a question: Is it possible to get a reduced textures pack? Right now, every single texture in this pack is 1024*1024, which means that it takes up horrifying amounts of RAM, relative to the amount of parts. I think B9 might actually use less memory per part than this mod, as it uses some 256*256 textures. Normally, I'd just downsize the textures myself, but for some reason, the orange tanks and parts of the autostagers go all black if i try to resize their textures. My recommendation is to resize every emissive to 256*256, and everything else to 512*512.

I have a small problem where 2 of the radial adapters (dwarf and 1 meter) sink trough the surface of what they are being attached to.

Am i the only one?

wasmic, you might want to try this plugin: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-22-Release-1-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod?highlight=active+memory

I do in fact use that plugin, but it only reduces memory usage by 25 %. For some of the smaller parts, like the autostagers, I would be able to cut further 93.75 % off by being able to resize the textures to 256*256, and honestly, small parts don't need that good textures. I'd also love to be able to reduce the tanks to 512*512 - that would give a 75 % reduction in memory.

EDIT:

Here's a Heavy Lifter design using these tanks:M7gPDWd.png

Looks like a shuttle-c.

shuttle-c-chart-370.jpg

Edited by wasmic

I've got a question: Is it possible to get a reduced textures pack? Right now, every single texture in this pack is 1024*1024, which means that it takes up horrifying amounts of RAM, relative to the amount of parts. I think B9 might actually use less memory per part than this mod, as it uses some 256*256 textures. Normally, I'd just downsize the textures myself, but for some reason, the orange tanks and parts of the autostagers go all black if i try to resize their textures. My recommendation is to resize every emissive to 256*256, and everything else to 512*512.

I did some fine tuning to the texture sizes for _all_ parts and reduced the complexcity odf many collision meshes. Thanks for the hint. I'll include it in the next release.

I have a small problem where 2 of the radial adapters (dwarf and 1 meter) sink trough the surface of what they are being attached to.

Am i the only one?

wasmic, you might want to try this plugin: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-22-Release-1-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod?highlight=active+memory

The radials (small and medium) are supposed to sink in. Look at the firefly example craft to see how they should be used.

Cheers!

1D2lbATl.jpg

Edited by dtobi

Love the mod, especially the stockalike look of the engines and the fuel tanks. Brilliant work!

Just have to point out one itty bitty problem though, with the fuel flow breakers:

zRqLyL7.png

The attachment nodes are not in line with the edges of the model, causing gaps like this one.

Very minor visual problem though, overall this is fantastic both in terms of functionality and looks :)

The radials (small and medium) are supposed to sink in. (...)

Ah thanks, thats a very creative solution now that I look at it.

The word radial kinda threw me off here :)

Ive noticed the double manouver engines having a weird center of thrust in SPH:

0XpJHNP.jpg

Also Ive had a weird bug when re-attaching the smallest orange tank.

When placing the overlay went green, i try to attach, the game responds like it attached (I hear a click etc) but it wont "let go" of the mousepointer.

When I then hover over nothing (red overlay) and click, the parts get released but then I can not click them again because it will then all of a sudden grip to the root vessel part instead of the floating part I just clicked.

(I hope thats understandable :P)

Im really in love with this mod, still figuring out how create everything independant from eachother and then "marrying" it, which is a challenge :)

Edited by Lucchese
Dead link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.