On which planet did you Aerobrake for your 1st time?

LtHeckard

Duna. It took a lot of fine tuning to get it low enough where it would actually kill the velocity I needed it to, but high enough to not end up deorbiting and lithobraking.

Didn't have a choice though, because this was early-ish career mode without nuclear engines unlocked, and I didn't have enough fuel to decelerate and return to Kerbin with the lander docked.

Kerbin.

In the spirit of the question rather than the letter, I think it was Duna, though that was for a landing.

For the purposes of orbital capture/insertion, Kerbin. Other than Kerbin, Jool, but I went too deep and splattered.

Just completed my second attempt at a Jool aerobrake though, it was rather more successful than the first!

Kerbin ofcourse, but that doesn't count.

I recently aerobraked for the first time for real, on Duna. That just happened to be the first planet one of my probes arived on. Didn't really slow it down alot, not even to a capture, but it did get me in a perfect Ike encounter. Which the probe is now orbitting.

Shortly after that another probe arived at Eve. My experience with Duna made me expect a rather ineffective aerobreak, so I almost put the periaps at 50km above Eve :P. Good thing I reconcidered and went for 99km

I tore through the atmosphere of Jool in my first attempt at a grand tour ship. Unfortunately, it only had enough fuel to establish laythe orbit and then deposit it's two landers. Also, it took copious amount of quicksaving, as do all of my aerobrakes.

First was Jool outside of kerbin,

To get samples from the upper atmosphere you has to be on an landing trajectory, (Pe below ground) Just doing an aerobrake even at low attitude don't work.

Not sure then it switches from upper atmosphere to flying, My Jool probe passed trough the upper atmosphere far to fast.

Duna was my first true aerobrake. I had my craft pointed towards prograde the whole way, waiting to unleash the rest of my fuel in a last-ditch attempt to save my orbit, should anything have gone awry. Thankfully, my vessel popped out the other side just fine.

Eve was particularly hair-raising the first time I tried, too.

Kerbin, I was over cautious so it took about 90 orbits to get down to from the Mun to an apoapsis of 70 before I burnt to bring my periapsis back up out of atmosphere. unfortunately I didn't have enough fuel to adjust my plane to dock with my Space station, so it was all in vain.

Duna was first for me.. Ran out of fuel before i was able to slow myself down for the intercept, so decided to bring my periapsis down using rcs/ion engines and discovered that 13-15k is the magic altitude for perfect aerobrake.

This was back when people claimed it was impossible to aerobrake on duna and land without using any rockets to slow down at all.

Kerbin. First aerocapture was Jool. I'm lazy and don't want to quicksave/quickload alot so I use Mechjeb to calculate the right PE. Also my craft may or may not be using a standard transfer, my Duna science probe I launched today got there in 17.5 days and used an 8k periapsis for breaking, and still had to burn to make capture it was going so fast.

Edited by Thorbane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.