Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Speaking of bugs... It seems the RT2-Plugin kind of... "disloads" when one reloads the database via Alt-F12-Debugmenu.

Did that (to switch SignalDelay from true to false), now only the stock-antennas have a menu, although only stock behavior (transmit data). In addition, top left (which is oddly still around) shows N/A.

Speaking of bugs... It seems the RT2-Plugin kind of... "disloads" when one reloads the database via Alt-F12-Debugmenu.

Did that (to switch SignalDelay from true to false), now only the stock-antennas have a menu, although only stock behavior (transmit data). In addition, top left (which is oddly still around) shows N/A.

ModuleManager isn't compatible with reloading the database. And no, you can't switch SignalDelay that way because it doesn't reload plugins. Only parts.

I spent a couple hours today playing Remotetech under career mode. I was going to write a proper walkthrough, but what's the fun in that? So here are some screenshots in the order I took them. They start with first launches and end with a network covering Duna, Eve, Moho and Kerbin.

RemoteTech Walkthrough

-Based on career mode, with stock tech tree.

-Allow for steady tech tree progression.

-No exact orbit required, no tuning, no maintenance.

-99% or better uptime.

-No heavy lifting (ie nothing beyond GeneralRocketry)

QmyYanCs.png4wAc5Sts.png1c9USbZs.pngxkAnn1Ts.png9CJBjqJs.pngfYPLlfMs.pngO0DUanos.pngFrzvmRgs.pngW5098N5s.pngb69RrxMs.pngWpOq8gPs.png0gKupl3s.png

Edited by Sandworm

hey, Cilph, I really enjoy to use old models from remote tech 1, 1m and 2m remote control command (that one with a blue stripe), that fits pretty nice on KW parts.

is there any way to implement that part to work on remote tech 2? how?

or maybe an extra release for those who like that?

just reposting this question!

I spent a couple hours today playing Remotetech under career mode. I was going to write a proper walkthrough, but what's the fun in that? So here are some screenshots in the order I took them. They start with first launches and end with a network covering Duna, Eve, Moho and Kerbin.

Very nice. Lots of coverage. Why not have polar Munar orbits?

Very nice. Lots of coverage. Why not have polar Munar orbits?

Because they are pointing at a relay in a polar orbit over Kerbin. From the perspective of Mun, the relay over Kerbin spends more time high and low than it does near the equator. If the munar relays were also in polar orbits there would be a large time when Mun could block them from seeing the Kerbin relay. This could happen whenever the Kerbin relay was up north and the mun relay was south. In other words, by keeping the orbits perpendicular the relay over kerbin can peek over the top of Mun and see more of the Munar relay's orbit.

The same principal is at play around kerbin. When the polar relay is up high it can look down and see all of the molniya orbits. If it were orbiting in the same plane, ie at the equator, Kerbin would constantly be blocking it from seeing some of the molniya orbits. Of course they briefly do share the same plane, but only for a short time.

Edited by Sandworm

Nice! I'm doing something similar, with a few more mods thrown in (life support, deadly reentry, FAR aerodynamics). So far, RemoteTech has provided the most fun by far.

Stupid question: what is the purpose of the elliptical equatorial constellation around Kerbin? From your screenshots, it seems the polar satellite can get a signal down to the LKO constellation without them, and that polar satellite is all that's needed for beyond Kerbin comms.

There's plenty. There's even two at the end of the tech tree that cover the entire kerbol system.

I don't doubt this, but it seems I might not have yet reached this stage? I currently have the dish that does 500Mm, but if I'm correct, kerbin's orbit alone is over 13 gigameters, and not to mention that another planet might be on the opposite side of the orbit. Am I just not to that part of the tree, or am I completely wrong on something?

Minmus is at 47Mm, Kerbins SOI is 84 159 286 m - So, the 50Mm and 90Mm dishes are sufficient.

Note: When using numbers from the wiki: "The distances are given from the bodies center not surface (unlike ingame)"

A problem I stumbled (and crashed) upon yesterday: If there is no low orbit satellite coverage everywhere at all times and the 500km omni-antenna is out of range, it is quite difficult to safely land something at Kerbins poles, as the 2.5Mm omni-antenna will break on reentry/during flight in the atmosphere.

And hit me if I talk nonsense, but are the parts missing an "entryCost =" line in their part.cfg/MM.cfg files?

Edited by KerbMav

I create small excel-file for launching time calculation from planets to adjust appropriate satellites positions on intermediate orbit.

May be someone will find it useful.

You enter the intermediate orbit for satellites, planet radius, Gm, period (21600 s for Kerbin), angle between satellites, and you will get delta t result.

All you need then is to change ap and pe for each sattelite after adjusting them on low orbit.

I.e., for launching 3 sats on stationary orbit with the intermediate orbit on 1000 km, we have to launch them with 3284 s time interval.

Of course, ascent times must be approx. equal.

Yes, it is much better if you can do these calculations by yourself, but if you can, and want to save time - please )

Edited by MaxP

In this case, Ricardo, just edit the old parts' part.cfg for them to be probe cores?

yes, KerbMAv, I tried to just remove the MODULEs from old remotetech part and add the MODULE from remotetech2 parts, but something went wrong, the part was ok but not working as command core. I'll try again later, I suspect that was some missing bracket

Does it work with Kos? If I add the part to a unmanned(kerballed?) ship, the program will control it?

It should with out a manned ship, as long as there is signal and you have a probe code. It maybe a little buggy though. Currently as it is ATM I believe if you loose signal it'll stop running until signal is back again. That should be fixed soon I would imagine.